Got My U2.....Now What ?

BlueLED

Newly Enlightened
OK, I got the light, but I'm not sure what all the features it has specific to that model or high-quality LED lights.

Some people here mentioned "lack of rings" or something -- referencing what?

Feautures that come to mind when someone asks me with a puzzled look on their face why I paid $200 for a flashlight are:

(1) It puts out 100 lumens.

(2) It's an LED as opposed to other flashlights which aren't (what's the difference?).

(3) Digitally controlled (hey, it says it on the box, don't ask me what it means).

(4) Runs on those weird 123-model batteries, not AA's, AAA's, or D's.

Features beyond these?

Any tricks of the trades to impress my nephew or nieces?

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
BlueLED said:
...not sure what all the features it has specific to that model or high-quality LED lights...Any tricks of the trades to impress my nephew or nieces?
It's a Minimag-size flashlight with 2x the output of a 3D Mag-Lite.

At low power (2 lumens) it will run for 40 hours while producing useful light.

But ultimately it can be difficult to impress the average person, yet this isn't unique to flashlights.

If you show a noninformed person a $200 knife or a $1000 shotgun or a $250 pair of shoes, they'll wonder why spend that money. E.g, the $200 knife doesn't cut carrots 10 times better than a $20 knife.

The upper end of most market segments is populated with high quality stuff, the benefits of which aren't apparent to the average person.

The U2 is a fine instrument, but to the unenlightened it's just an expensive flashlight. They don't know what a Hall Effect brightness selector is, or anything about lumens, milliamps, type III anodizing, etc.

The U2 is an amazing light but it's probably less impressive to the average person than a Peak Caribbean or Orb Raw. Why? Because it LOOKS like a flashlight, in size and overall appearance.

TorchMan

Enlightened
To me the best things about the U2 are it's adjustable levels, and broad beam. That the brightness can be adjusted while the light is off is a definite plus.

If you order those weird batteries online (aka CR1213a) they don't cost as much. The advantage of them over alkaline batteries is longer shelf life, less chance of leaking.

The difference between LED and incan? LEDs last longer, i.e., you probably will not need to replace it, as you would a incan bulb. LEDs are supposed to be more rugged, won't likely blow out if it's on and you drop it, as sometimes/might happen with incans. LEDs keep their color better when dimmed, and are much easier on batteries at low levels.

It's really just a well built adjustable level Luxeon V light. Rugged, SureFire warranty, inovative selector ring, clickie tailcap, regulated output.

TorchMan

Enlightened
joema said:
The U2 is a fine instrument, but to the unenlightened it's just an expensive flashlight. They don't know what a Hall Effect brightness selector is,...

It's been a while since my title said unenlightened. Mayb it should be changed back to that, because this Hall Effect brightntess sensor comment needs 'splainin' to me!

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast
The server is too busy for me to answer, Neat.

Why do people buy a Rolex instead of Timex?

Same idea as U2 I think

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
About the "Digitally Controlled" part... You can explain that part to people by pointing out, that while other "regular" flashlights get dimmer the longer they're turned on, your U2 stays at full brightness. I think a big part of the price is in the lifetime warranty. They have to take in to consideration that you could foreseeably return your light for servicing several times, which costs them money in several places down the line, not the least of which is labor.

A good way to impress your niece and nephew is just to simply turn it on in the dark! A comparison with another flashlight (a "regular" one) would probably add to the fun, too.

BlueLED

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys....the U2 does have a "wide" beam, I was wondering if any filter's narrow or concentrate it?

Also, for a powerful "pen light-sized beam" (or a bit wider), what other Surefire's do that well?

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Currently the KL1 and KL3 are the SF offerings for a tight beamed LED light. For 2006, there will probably be more available with the new optics, maybe something similar to the U2.

On the price point question, whenever a non-flashaholic asks what I paid for a light, my answer is always $20 (it's more than most would pay anyways). :)

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
BlueLED said:
Thanks guys....the U2 does have a "wide" beam, I was wondering if any filter's narrow or concentrate it?...Also, for a powerful "pen light-sized beam" (or a bit wider), what other Surefire's do that well?
The U2 beam is actually not that wide. The hotspot beam width is about six degrees, comparable to many other lights.

What makes it APPEAR broad is the very bright spillbeam. The U2 diverts more of its overall output to spillbeam than other lights. This gives it a flood characteristic at close range, while retaining good throw from the hotspot at long range.

The tradeoff is there's less energy in the hotspot than other lights having weaker spillbeams, but it still throws OK.

HWilliam

Newly Enlightened
"Any tricks of the trades to impress my nephew or nieces?"

Tell them it's the same type used by U2 (and whatever is current) pilots and can withstand an explosive decompression that would blow their lungs out their noses. It's used by pilots after ejection to light their way down to the ground.

That's not true, but probably better than "It pumps out 100 lumens" or other technical specs. You *know* the next question has to be "What's a lumen, Uncle Blue?"

Luna

Enlightened
HWilliam said:

Tell them it's the same type used by U2 (and whatever is current) pilots and can withstand an explosive decompression that would blow their lungs out their noses. It's used by pilots after ejection to light their way down to the ground.

That's not true, but probably better than "It pumps out 100 lumens" or other technical specs. You *know* the next question has to be "What's a lumen, Uncle Blue?"

In this case they might be asking "What is a U2 plane"

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
TorchMan said:
It's been a while since my title said unenlightened. Mayb it should be changed back to that, because this Hall Effect brightntess sensor comment needs 'splainin' to me!

This from Wikipedia
--------------------------------------------------

Hall effect devices when appropriately packaged are immune to dust, dirt, mud, and water. These characteristics make Hall effect devices better for position sensing than alternative means such as optical and electromechanical sensing.

The magnetic field may be that provided as a consequence of electrons flowing through a conductor. It is thus possible to create a non-contacting current sensor in which the conducting cable with current to be measured is threaded through a hole in the sensing device. The device has three terminals. Across two of these is applied a sensor voltage and from the third is taken a voltage proportional to the current being sensed. This has several advantages; no resistance (a "shunt") need be inserted in the primary circuit and also, the voltage present on the line to be sensed is not transmitted to the sensor, a characteristic which enhances the safety of measuring equipment.

The range of a given feedthrough sensor may be extended upward and downward by appropriate wiring. To extend the range to lower currents, multiple turns of the current-carrying wire may be made through the opening. To extend the range to higher currents a current divider may be used, with a portion of the current carried by a large wire flowing through a smaller parallel wire with the small wire passing through the sensor.

Hall effect current sensor with internal integrated circuit amplifier. 8mm opening. Zero current output voltage is midway between the supply voltages that maintain a 4 to 8 volt differential. Non-zero current response is proportional to the voltage supplied and is linear to 60 amperes for this particular (25 A) device.

wuyeah

Enlightened
Now what??........

you can stop buying LEDs/ flashlights, haha.

Its already good enough for normal use.
especially when other people around you don't understand why you are paying 200+ for a flashlight.

AuroraLite

Enlightened

Just tell them this is the same flashlight used by GI Joe or simply ask them to bring their flashlights with you for a night hike, then turn on your U2 impress... :nana:

Anothe thing come into mind is that 'digitally controlled', AFAIK, will mean it will not only regulate the output on one level but on all six levels of light, so the light will remain useful regardless. And now, that is probably one of the most impressive parts of the deal.

"Now what?"
Get another U2? :devil:

Btw, Jim, thanks for the wikipedia explanation, always wanted to learn more about that. :)

CLHC

Flashaholic
". . .Now What?"

How about stepping up to "HotRod-Wired" Maglites such as the upcomming M66.Mini or even a MagHID or similar ones to shy you away from said product purchase?

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Now what?"

I would say get the SF M6 with HOLA. These are my two go to lights. U2 for general use and when I need some attention, light up the M6 :) (mostly been using it to signal my friend when I pick her up; the usual meet me at this corner, well I'm sitting there and she stands there looking around the 2 intersecting blocks, its the city so there are no honking signs and it is cold (don't wan tto open the window), the M6 lights her up well.)

BlueLED

Newly Enlightened
The U2 "glass head" is curved such that alot of light is dispersed -- i.e., the area lit is pretty wide as measured in degrees. My U2 is 1/4th the glass surface diameter of my 1 MM candlepower spotlight and it illuminates a wider area.

Are the filters advertised as beam-narrowers going to concentrate the light into a tighter, narrower beam? If not, does Surefire make a flashlight that is "less wide" among the smaller lights (Aviator, A2, L2, etc)?

Don't get me wrong, I love my U2 but if/when I get additional lights, I would want different "looks" beam-wise.

Thanks.

Last edited: