I need a LED Trouble-light...

Threepio

Newly Enlightened
I've been doing some work on my car stereo, and have discovered a need for a cordless LED troublelight, something that will throw a flood of nice even white light. I found this at Hammacher Schlemmer:

http://www.hammacher.com/publish/72687.asp#

It looks perfect, except for the price! Has anyone seen anything like this, for less? I'd appreciate any advice!

Thanks! --Bob

G-force

Newly Enlightened
Check this one out. It's an Innovage 20 LED Pivot Spotlight. I got one for $9.99 at a department store near me called Boscov's in their seasonal holiday gift section. A quick web search shows that you can get it most anywhere it's sold for less than $20. It isn't super rugged, but it puts out a nice, bright, very white light for a long time and the head pivots to put the light where you want it. It uses 3 D batteries that weight the base down nicely to keep it sturdy. It can also run on a 4.5 volt AC adapter. My informal run-time test (using just a calendar and my naked eye) with Energizer Alkaline D batteries (that had a "best used by date" that was over 1 year past due) showed 48 HOURS STRAIGHT OF FULL BRIGHTNESS followed by 12 more DAYS of diminishing light until it had the output of a cheap keychain light. After 2 weeks straight, I stopped my test, but it was still producing some dim semi-usable light!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000A33DUQ/103-2143881-2879817?v=glance

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use a streamlight jr luxeon for working on cars. It's not a flood light but the beam is even and smooth (no central hotspot really). You can't sit it down somewhere but it's good for shining light far into nooks and crannies where you need to see something too..

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have discovered headlamps recently, and I find they work splendidly on things like this, or under sinks working on pipes, wherever you need two hands and a light. This might be a better choice than a trouble light in a lot of situations.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Second the headlamp idea. I sandwiched a thin piece of textured plastic between the reflector and lens of my Sears Craftsman 1 watt luxeon headlamp to turn it into a floodlight. I have also used satin scotch tape on the lens. Another CPFer suggester Press n Seal would do the same job without leaving a sticky residue.

Another idea is to get 1 of this
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/dorcy_ledlantern.htm
and upgrade it with 1 of this
http://www.led-replacement.com/lpr-113.html
Or if you are really cash strapped PR2-W1-WVR LED FlashLight bulb
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi?product=LIGHTS&cart_id=4197839.24318
You do not have to buy the LED version of the camping lantern. All four of the DORCY lanterns (incan 4AA/4D) I came across are wired soi LED bulbs work in them. Have bad experiences with other brands/styles.

Threepio

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the great ideas, Guys! There's a Walmart here in town, so I'll go look at the Stanley LED tripod, and I'll look into that the Innovage 20 LED spotlight at Amazon. I do have a Streamlight Lux Jr, and it is a great light- it has done "under-dash" duty recently, but you know how it is, maybe that next light will be "just right" for the given job... or even better!
I'd somehow forgotten all about headlamps, that might be a way to go, too, so I'll start looking at those as well. I've got an Argo in my box at work, and hardly ever use it, so it'll come home.
All good ideas, and I appreciate the input! Thanks again, --Bob

CLHC

Flashaholic
By the way, the Stanley LED Tripod is located near the tools section and not where they sell flashlights. Just thought you want to know.

nemul

Flashlight Enthusiast
sears has this!

Craftsman Rechargeable Work Light - $39.99

This rechargeable LED work light is a tradesman's dream. The portable charger is included and uses 4 nickel metal hydride batteries for extended life. Low wattage means long life and low heat. 8 ultra bright LEDs deliver exceptionally bright lighting to any work surface, and no need for a cord. The protective polycarbonate lens, rugged body and lightweight features make this easily portable and virtually indestructible. Includes adjustable swivel hook. Instant on. No need to replace bulbs.

Nodak

Newly Enlightened
I picked up the Sear's rechargeable one noted above for $20 a few weeks ago. I think it is currently on sale for $25. I've found it to be nice and bright for the undercarriage (able to point and aim the light) and not quite bright enough hanging under the hood.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ive seen LED drop lights at northerntool.com. They make a 40 and 60 led unite that is either direct or cordless.

Threepio

Newly Enlightened
Okay, I took the plunge and just ordered the 30 LED rechargeable worklight from Northern Tool, mostly because it had more LED's than any of the others I saw... Of course, that doesn't mean I don't also still want all the others, too. ("This AND that...") I'll look at the other options and probably end up with a couple of those, too. As long as I'm not actually stepping on lights as I walk around at home, then I don't have too many, right?

Thank you all for the thoughtful suggestions and advice, I only hope I can be as helpful in return, sometime! --Bob

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let us know how it works for you. Ive been on the fence about buying one myself.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
You in Alaska? Wow. THey have a northerntool in Midlothian on the other side of town, but since the bus doesnt run out there, I too order through the net and catalog. I use their 10x3 go cart tires and tubes on my wheelchair. Sure beats paying 15 bucks for a 4 dollar tube and 76 for a 9 dollar tire.

Threepio

Newly Enlightened
Well, I got my 30 LED Rechargeable Worklight today, and so far, I'm very happy with it!
The LED's are nice and white, and very bright. At three feet, you've got about a three foot circle, evenly and brightly lit. It does a nice job of lighting up a dark room, too. Should be very nice during a power failure! It'll be a while before I find out if it lives up to the claimed 5 hour run-time, but it does look like good quality at this point.

I still want to explore some of the other ideas suggested here as well, and will check out Sears and Walmart once the holiday crowds have left... Thanks again for the help!
--Bob

Cobb- I'm not living in Alaska yet, we go to Juneau for a week every couple years, I'm nuts about the place. The move is still a few years off! --Bob

Al_Havemann

Enlightened
I bought one of the Innovage 20 LED lights after seeing G-Forces post - a real handy light for 10$ (Boscovs). It may look a bit odd but I found after only having it for a day that it was the first light I picked up for just about anything around the house - same for my wife - she wants her own (and she's not a light freak like me).

Mostly it's because of the ergonomics, it has the right combination of shape and pointing ability. You can plonk it just about anywhere and get the light just where you want it.

It's bright enough for any work and runs forever on a set of 3 D cells. I forgot and left it on overnight with - it was just as bright the next day and the battery voltage is still within new spec.

A real handy light, well worth the money. I'm going to pick up several more.

Al

Last edited:

Kenski

Newly Enlightened
Hey Threepio,
Was this the light?

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=6970&productId=200320455&R=200320455

Any runtime test yet? Or did you open it at all?

Kenski

Threepio said:
Well, I got my 30 LED Rechargeable Worklight today, and so far, I'm very happy with it!
The LED's are nice and white, and very bright. At three feet, you've got about a three foot circle, evenly and brightly lit. It does a nice job of lighting up a dark room, too. Should be very nice during a power failure! It'll be a while before I find out if it lives up to the claimed 5 hour run-time, but it does look like good quality at this point.
<trim>
--Bob

Threepio

Newly Enlightened
Hi Kenski- Yes, that's the light! I have yet to even charge the thing, I ran it for an hour out of the box, and it stayed nice and bright the whole time. I did get the top cap off, they had a crummy piece of paper with the company name on it, covering the back of the lamp board, and slid that out, I'd rather look at the traces...

I haven't used it for what I bought it for yet, (changing out my cars stereo system), but it makes a great inspection/reading lamp, and lights up the room when aimed at the ceiling. If I were selling these, I think I'd offer variable power, maybe a 5/15/30 LED switch. Very happy with it "as is" though.

Now if I can just prod myself into finishing the install, with that last door speaker swap. Holidays over, no excuse now. I just don't like working on cars anymore! --Bob