Looking for an EDC complement to my SF G2

carrot

Flashaholic
I'm looking for a second light as a backup/complement to my G2 (in case the batteries run down on my primary light or the bulb blows). My requirements are:
Uses batteries I can get (AA, AAA, or 123A)
Smaller than my G2
Lasts no less than 4 hours
As bright or brighter than my current stock Maglite mini (as in, nothing too weak)
Durable and reliable (don't want a light that might fail as my backup), as well as good water resistance
Under $50
Holster or keyring would be a huge bonus but not necessary

So far, I'm looking at the Arc-AAA but was wondering if there are any others I should be considering.

Btw, how many battery changes should a P61 LA last?
Edit: is it safe to carry a spare shrink-wrapped lithium 123A (the kind Amondotech sells) in my pocket? I make sure they don't touch any metal because I know it's bad if they short, but I just saw the pictures of the exploded 123As in the Pelican.

Last edited:

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I carry an Inova X5 with my G2. It's like a spare battery holder that also happens to make light. When your G2 gets dim swap the batteries into the X5 and they will still be bright. It's a fairly efficient use of juice. :D

-LT

carrot

Flashaholic
I was interested in the Inova X5 for the longest time before I found Surefire. Kinda forgot about the X5. Is it regulated?

AtomicX

Newly Enlightened
Lunal tic... how much extra time can you squeeze out of a set of 123's in the X5 ?? after they start to dim out in the incan ?? sounds like a nice way to finish off cells if it affords a little runtime. :wow:

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
carrot, The X5 isn't regulated. That's the reason it goes forever. It will gradually dim over time but lithium batteries hold the discharge fairly consistent; a poor man's regulator.

AtomicX, Depends on how long you run them in the G2 but in general I'd expect many hours of useful light. *where have we heard that phrase*

The X5 was "the" backup for a long time before there were so many options. It's still a bombproof backup. IIRC somewhere on CPF, some enterprising soul has even changed the LEDs to the new Nichias. More effort than it's worth to me but slick nonetheless.

-LT

AtomicX

Newly Enlightened
Guess that will justify a trip to Target today...since I hear they have 'em...maybe I can get some presents for others too while I'm there...:whistle:

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
carrot said:
...I'm looking at the Arc-AAA but was wondering if there are any others I should be considering...
The Fenix L2P meets all your criteria. Not sure who's selling it, as it's new:

http://www.fenixlight.com/flashlight/fenixl2.htm

The Arc is a nice light if you need tiny size. It has great run time. The output is plenty for a dark room, but compared to more powerful Luxeon-powered lights it may look dim.

carrot

Flashaholic
What about the Gerber Infinity Ultra Task Light? How does that compare to the Arc-AAA, and does it cast enough light to maneuver in the dark with?

I'd buy them all, except I can't possibly afford to buy them all at once. The X5T is looking good to me.

Wyeast

Enlightened
I currently carry an X5 as backup to a G2. I haven't tried run down batts off the G2 yet, but batts run down in a Dorcy Spyder is still going strong in the Inova. :D

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
The NiteIze PockIts will also hold both lights plus four more 123 cells and a microlight.

The X5T is a CPF classic and I was most tempted to buy a back up for my existing X5T for $30 at Target, yesterday and still may pop for another one. They have black X5Ts and brushed aluminum like the one I have. They'd make a nice pair.

offroadcmpr

Enlightened
carrot said:
Btw, how many battery changes should a P61 LA last?

Estimated life of a SF lamp is around 25 hours I think. At 3 battery changes per hour, around 75 battery changes. That is plenty of time.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Go with the Fenix L1P. I saw that one and was impressed to be sure. If you're going to keep a Mini MagLight, you can get parts from The Sandwich Shoppe and get a drop-in LED replacement sandwich.

Some of the fellow CPFers really liked the set-up in my Mini MagLight + the 3[M]iniMag when they saw it at a recent gathering. It's running the NexGen750 BB TW0J w/20mm IMS reflector and the UCL glass. VERY BRIGHT to say the least in comparison with the NiteIze LED replacement drop-ins.

The full length Mini MagLight has two (2) Energizer Lithiums. Have not tested a runtime, but I've been using it for a couple of months now. A couple of times I used it at work running for about 75 minutes or so and it's still bright! Even now.

Well, that's my two centimos worth. . .Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!

StainlessSteel

Enlightened
Hi guys... i HAVE to comment on the X5 here....

I have an Inova X5, with RED LEDs. It only uses ONE 123a battery... and lemme tell ya... it will drain that sucker DRY.

Example... I took 2 batteries out of a surefire 6P... they would NOT even make the wire GLOW. I put ONE of them in the RED X5 sometime in the middle of august...

I used the light to light my house window with a red glow for halloween. Then i used it as a dedicated "bathroom light" so that when i get up to go to the bathroom... the bathroom is bathed in a red glow. It makes it REALLY easy to see... and you dont have to turn on any lights... PLUS it doesnt kill night vision.

Well... that ONE battery FINALLY died yesterday... and i replaced it with the OTHER battery from the 6p. If you have a lot of 123a lights.... 6p,9p, any of the M series, and ESPECIALLY if you use the HOLAs... you are gonna have a lot of "used" batteries.

"Used" for one light doesnt mean completely used. I am thinking of a way to use either X5s or a special set up with 5mm LEDS to light my house... or at least the most used areas with old, dead 123a batteries. This will serve 2 purposes... #1 in case of a power outage... i have many nights of SAFE (candles are fire), FREE lighting. And #2 free lighting in the evening to move around the house without using the house lighting.

carrot

Flashaholic
Now I'm confused. I thought the Inova X5T used two 123As, but you say only one?

At this point I've got quite a few of those Amondotech Titanium paired 123As shrinkwrapped together... Not sure if I can split them apart, which is why I'm now wondering if the X5 takes one or two lithiums.

CHC, I saw the Fenix F1P, it's quite nice, but I just emailed them about 3 different stores in NYC that I think might be interested in stocking them, so I might end up with a freebie. Rather have multiple different lights rather than all the same... heh.

I had a NiteIze LED replacement for the Mag Mini, but it seems like it's starting to flicker, even with new batteries, so I just popped the normal incandescant bulb back in. Maybe I should look into higher-end upgrades for my Mag.

I've got to look into these holsters. I want to EDC as many flashlights (and other stuff -- Palm, digital camera, etc) as I can without looking like I've got an entire toolkit on my belt.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
carrot said:
Now I'm confused. I thought the Inova X5T used two 123As, but you say only one?

The X5T with red LEDs or Infared LEDs are the only ones that uses one CR123. It is the same size as the X5Ts that use 2x123.

The other X5Ts use 2x123.

Last edited:

CLHC

Flashaholic
Hello Carrot!

4sevens sells them Fenix L1P + I think he has two-stage modded ones. You may want to check him out.

Enjoy!

greenLED

Flashaholic
How bright do you want your secondary EDC to be?
Luxeon-bright? Probably Fenix or HDS for something fancier.
5mm LED-bright? Infinity, ArcAAA, or one of the Peak models; even Dorcy has a AAA version

StainlessSteel

Enlightened
Hoghead said:
The X5T with red LEDs is the only one that uses one CR123. It is the same size as the X5Ts that use 2x123.

The other X5Ts use 2x123.

The X5 with the RED & the INFARED Leds... are the only two that take one battery.