BOG Lux III on 1 x R123 Li-Ion?

beakman

Newly Enlightened
I was just wondering if anyone has tried to run the Bug-Out Gear Lux III Drop-In on a single protected rechargeable R123 Li-ion? If so, is it close to the same brightness as on 2 x CR123As? What kind of runtime could be expected? And how does it compare to the Nuwai Q-III on a R123 Li-ion?

According to Quickbeam's tests, the BOG Lux III puts out about 50 lumens (3500 overall output) on 2 x CR123As, so if you could get close to that same brightness on a single R123 Li-ion, it would be a nice, bright, small light.

Thanks.

the beakman

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I don't have a 1 cell body that I can run the BOG module in, but I made a makeshift thing just to do a quick comparison... I also must say that my BOG module has been modded with a TW0K emitter so it's probably a bit brighter than most stock BOGs.

Anyway, mine on one MP R123 cell looks slightly brighter than my Fenix L1P which was slightly less bright than my TW0J-modded Q3 on a primary cell.

So extrapolating from that crude data, I'd have to guess that a stock BOG on an LiON would be very comparable to a stock Q3 on a primary. But if you want a great single cell light, why not just run the Q3 on a R123? Or better yet, swap in a T or U bin star into the Q3 and then run it on an R123.

My current favorite arrangement is the TW0K BOG module on 2 R123 cells. Very nice. Large hotspot about like the Q3 but with more throw than an Inova T3. Just bought a Vital Gear body for it though I haven't received it yet.

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
this image will remain blank until the test completes and I have uploaded the result

BOG_R123.png

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know... I doubt I'll be dropping it in a stream anything but thanks for the heads up anyway. I tend to use polymer lights when I'm out in the sticks.

Desert_AIP

Newly Enlightened
Longbow, That's the BOG 5W.

The 3W is just a lamp module, the 5W is an entire replacement head.

Longbow

Enlightened
Desert_AIP, I checked info on the VG F2 at Lighthound's web site and it specifically states that the flashlight looses it's water tightness if G&P (BOG) drop in module is used.

wquiles

Flashaholic
I know I am late to this "party", but I just tried one my first gen BOB 3W (this one with a UX1L, still using stock driver) and it works perfectly out of a single 4.2V recharable CR123 cell ;)

Will

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't received my Vital Gear light so I'm not speaking from experience, but if we are talking about the 3W module, I don't understand how using the BOG rather than a stock lamp could compromise the water tight capability...

As long as the bezel and reflector press both against the lens and the head is screwed down all the way... I don't understand how it could be any more or less water tight.

thinking.gif

Last edited: