SF L1 and L2

Patrik

Newly Enlightened
I just recieved the L2 and noticed some differences with my L1. The lamp assembly wasnt the same, my L1 has the KL1 and the L2 had a slightly shorter one where it doesnt say KL1. And this has a slight greenish light, my L1 has white light. The beam is also much wider, although I think that they are as bright, just different shapes on the beam and the colour. I changed the two LED lamps, the KL1 did work on the L2 and that beam got more narrow and whiter.

But my L1 didnt accept the other lamp, it just didnt work at all. Are they suppose to have the same lamp (KL1), well of course there can be of older versions. And can I use the new KL1 on my L2, I think it works just great, but can it affect the batterys life? And of course my L1 wont work at all if I dont buy a new KL1, but thats okey since I always carrie a E2L also. Hope that made some sense.

vtunderground

Enlightened
Patrik said:
I just recieved the L2 and noticed some differences with my L1. The lamp assembly wasnt the same, my L1 has the KL1 and the L2 had a slightly shorter one where it doesnt say KL1.

Does the bezel on your L1 say KL1 on it?

Now, here's how I understand it: The Surefire L1 and L2 flashlights have "dumb" heads. That is, the electronics are in the body of the light. The KL1 is a completely different head than the L1 head, as it has the electronics inside the head (instead of in the body of whatever flashlight it's attached to). The L1 and L2 heads should not be used on any flashlights other than the model they came attached to, due to the risk of burning out the LED.

The L1 uses a Luxeon-III with an optic, and the L2 uses a 5w Luxeon in a reflector - this is why the beams are different.

Patrik

Newly Enlightened
Att:vtunderground

Thanks for sharing the info. :) I just noticed that none of my L1 or L2 has written KL1 anywhere on them, well not what I can see without dismantling them. I compared the LED on the two models with the KL1 on my E2L, the KL1 is a bit longer then both of them. I shall change back to the original configuration on them since I dont want to burn out the LED. I did really like the Luxeon-III with an optic attached to the L2 though.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF Patrik!

It is important not to confuse the part names...
As you have noticed SureFire does change it's products over time.
It is important not to mix bezels and bodies with the exception of the "KLx" bezels which are designed in most cases to be used on a variety of bodies.

The L1 and L2 bezels should be used on their respective bodies.

L1 - the bezel is not labelled.
_DSC0041.jpg

L2 - the bezel is not labelled.
al-u2l.jpg

KL1 - the bezel is labelled "KL1"

E1L - the bezel is labelledh "KL1" (single SF123A body)

E2L - the bezel is labelled "KL1" (two SF123A body)

This photo shows the:
L4 (bezel labelled "KL4")
L2 (bezel is not labelled)
E2L (bezel is labelled "KL1")
P289.jpg

This photo shows the:
E2e
E2e+KL1 bezel (old version)
L4 (bezel labelled "KL4")
E1L (bezel labelled "KL1")
L1 (old version, bezel not labelled)
P94.jpg

The L1 and L2 TailCaps are interchangeable "two-stage" (and not click on/off)

Does this help?

Patrik

Newly Enlightened
Thanks! That was really helpfull, many nice and interesting photos that illustrates the development. I also noticed that the plastic rings to witch the lanyard is atteched has been removed, good idea since I think that part interferes with the turning on and of.

I also just noticed that my L2 does a kind of noise, here goes my explanation in pretty lousy english... it sounds like "piiiiip". I has to be quite silent to be able to hear it. Its only making the noise when my L2 is on the low output, I dont know if it has been making this noise earlier because I tryed it near a motorway. With the possibility that something is terrible wrong with it I must ask, what is this noise?? :help:

Size15's

Flashaholic
The "noise" is normal. It may be possible to eliminate the noise but it would mean the L2 would be longer, and/or cost much more, or be less durable.

Al

Patrik

Newly Enlightened
Size15's said:
The "noise" is normal. It may be possible to eliminate the noise but it would mean the L2 would be longer, and/or cost much more, or be less durable.

Al

I understand, for a moment I thought I had ruined my new L2 by changing parts with the L1. Thanks for all the help, you see, I am now 27 years old and have been interested in flashlights for about 6-7 years. And of course my interest has sometimes been greater and sometimes smaller. But I considered myself a bit odd, my father said often: "Patrik you dont really NEED another flashlight, you have no use for all of them." I bought him another E2L the other day and he somewhat reluctant accepted it (for this christmas I also bought my granny a SF G2 YL). For him I am definately "that flashlight guy". And then I found the CPF... and I am not alone, and there are many many many more people that are interested in the subject. And therefore you can understand why I just bought my ex-girlfriend a E2L, now she has a E1 and she thinks its to small. I wont give up until my closest has at least 2 flashlights from me. There is a proverb saying: Home is not where you live, but in that place where people understand you (shares values/interests). Perhaps not such a good translation but you get the point. :thinking:

Thanks again.

Last edited:

Size15's

Flashaholic
CPF is the place to hang out if you're a "Flashaholic" and you certainly appear to be!! You are not alone!

CPF gives people the ability to discuss and discover which combinations work, may work, or won't work!

We will also help you find out about the many different options and models.

Have you ever seen a SureFire M6? (for example is there a shop where you buy SureFires or do you use an online dealer?)

Al

Patrik

Newly Enlightened
Size15's said:
CPF is the place to hang out if you're a "Flashaholic" and you certainly appear to be!! You are not alone!

CPF gives people the ability to discuss and discover which combinations work, may work, or won't work!

We will also help you find out about the many different options and models.

Have you ever seen a SureFire M6? (for example is there a shop where you buy SureFires or do you use an online dealer?)
Al

Yes I appreciate CPF very much already.

No I have never seen the M6 IRL, but I have had my eyes on it for some time. There are some dealers that I can go to, but their prices are really high, ad between 10-40 % on the US prices and you`ll understand. I also think that they have a large amount of older models due to the fact that the market isnt so big here. Since they dont sell much they keep older models longer, well thats what I think. I have ordered from SF directly, but now when they have discontinued international orders I`ve discovered LightHound (found here). I have ordered twice and never had problems with customs (that ad some to the cost), and even if I had it still would be cheaper then here in Sweden. I almost always shop online because 99 % of the time its easy, cheap and reliable. The M6.. welll I think its just a matter of time before I am going to order it, I just cant resist.
yellowlaugh.gif