Brightest multi-level Single 123 cell light

Luminous

Newly Enlightened
I would like to purchase a single 123 cell light with at least two brightness levels. I am looking for something as bright as possible, small as possible and regulated.
Any suggestions?

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are on a budget at all, some of these contenders are quite pricey... just so you know. If you are on a budget, perhaps you could tell us what you'd be comfortable with.

colubrid

Enlightened
I am a new flashaholic and am looking for the answer to this myself. I have been told the Mr. Bulk LionCub is the brightest or the Orb RAW. I want the brightest one at a reasonable price.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, the ORB RAW is a CR2 light so it's probably smaller than a CR123 light could possibly be. Bright? You betcha! But if you care about runtime, you better get the 2 stage for sure!

Once you get into some of the custom lights, unless you are just wanting bragging rights, just get the one with the features or look or throw/flood balance you like. Many of them are ludicrously bright... far brighter than almost any reasonable task would call for.

greenLED

Flashaholic
You can also add a POP or FluPIC sammie to another light. These are available from djpark and/or goldserve.

Bogus1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Luminous said:
I would like to purchase a single 123 cell light with at least two brightness levels. I am looking for something as bright as possible, small as possible and regulated.
Any suggestions?

Most of the posts I see don't conform to all the above criteria. Bernie listed the only 2 lights I know of that do that are selling new. If you are buying used and saving money there is the Aleph A2 driven at 1000ma. If you go bigger, you can go cheaper and waion is selling a 16 level light at 1/3 the price of the chameleon with more features and versatility and it's close to the same size.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Luminous said:
Any suggestions?

Meeting your qualifications I would probably look at the HDS EDC lights (assuming you have the budget).

Otherwise I would consider the Dorcy Super 1 watt 1xCR123A light for sale at sears. I would call it "semi-regulated" and one light level though. On the other hand it's $30 vs the price of the other lights.

Bogus1

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want THE brightest light for flood and smallest size it is probably an Aleph LuxV driven high enough to cause heat problems. With a 2 stage you can turn it down though and only use it on bright for bursts.

nemul said:
more features then the Chameleon? Chamie uses nFlex_UIP Firmware

George makes great boards but we are talking about the flashlight as well. Even so, immediately on tap without further scrolling through a UI the chameleon has 5 levels, the VB-16 3W has 26. In addition the VB doesn't have the tiny side switch issue and in fact has both side switches AND a tail clicky switch. Without having to buy extra tubes, the tube on the VB is modular so it can run 18650, 17670, 2 X 123s, 2 X R123s, 1 X R123, or even 1 X 123 without buying any extra parts. Of what value I'm not sure, but it comes with a lanyard and a pouch. We are discussing the $45 VB-16 vs. the ??? chameleon that can only run on a single R123, unless you buy extra parts, but still its voltage range is a single Li-ion. The VB voltage range is 3-8.4 volts. However as this thread is about brightest, the VB appears to be driven harder at 3.5 watts on high, and as both lights are running TXO* bins, the VB will likely put out more light than the chameleon running at 1000ma. These are real world advantages even ignoring price. Both of these lights run 27mm reflectors so they aren't the smallest anyhow. It appears a LuxV VB will be coming out and when that happens it will bury the chameleon in terms of brightness at the expense of throw. I appreciate the innovation embodied in the VB lights and it has brought this to new buyers at this price. Unless there are esthetic or other considerations the chameleon meets for a buyer it's hard to argue with the facts. A light costing 3 times as much (or more) might be worth it just because you prefer using it however and you'll never know until you try.

nemul

Flashlight Enthusiast
VB-16 3W Review
Chameleon Review

VB-16 is almost twice as long and 1,550,000mcd on high
the Chameleon is 2,590,000mcd on high

the VB-16 is a great light for the price, but this is like comparing a Ferrari to a Ford... lol

Mike abcd

Enlightened
I just got a VB-16 from waion and like it a lot even though I've only run it on 2 x primary 123 so far. It should probably be mentioned that only the lowest few levels are available on a single CR123 and from what I've read, it won't run nearly as bright on a single R123 or 18650. That would have made it near perfect. Also can handle 2 x R123 unlike most.

On 2 x CR123, it's got more total output than my SL PP 4AA and I was surprised that it even has a little more throw. Very nice white color, about the same as my L1P. Decent beam with good spill although it does show a fairly pronounced ring. Looks to have very long run times on the lower settings although still a lot brihgter than some would like. I'd guess 40 hours on 2 x CR123 although I don't fully trust my DMM current readings.

Very nice UI. Remembers the last setting and has nice dedicated up and down switches on the barrel. Ramps in intensity when a switch is held.

Mike

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
A TW4-RCR123 combination still blows away any other single 123 light. It is possible to use the Mc2S tailcap for double stage.

A TW4 is the SF E1e with the KL4 head. It is a flood type just like the SF L4. The runtime is about 25 minutes.

Anthony

Geologist

Enlightened
Bogus1 said:
If you want THE brightest light for flood and smallest size it is probably an Aleph LuxV driven high enough to cause heat problems. With a 2 stage you can turn it down though and only use it on bright for bursts.

George makes great boards but we are talking about the flashlight as well. Even so, immediately on tap without further scrolling through a UI the chameleon has 5 levels, the VB-16 3W has 26. In addition the VB doesn't have the tiny side switch issue and in fact has both side switches AND a tail clicky switch. Without having to buy extra tubes, the tube on the VB is modular so it can run 18650, 17670, 2 X 123s, 2 X R123s, 1 X R123, or even 1 X 123 without buying any extra parts. Of what value I'm not sure, but it comes with a lanyard and a pouch. We are discussing the $45 VB-16 vs. the ??? chameleon that can only run on a single R123, unless you buy extra parts, but still its voltage range is a single Li-ion. The VB voltage range is 3-8.4 volts. However as this thread is about brightest, the VB appears to be driven harder at 3.5 watts on high, and as both lights are running TXO* bins, the VB will likely put out more light than the chameleon running at 1000ma. These are real world advantages even ignoring price. Both of these lights run 27mm reflectors so they aren't the smallest anyhow. It appears a LuxV VB will be coming out and when that happens it will bury the chameleon in terms of brightness at the expense of throw. I appreciate the innovation embodied in the VB lights and it has brought this to new buyers at this price. Unless there are esthetic or other considerations the chameleon meets for a buyer it's hard to argue with the facts. A light costing 3 times as much (or more) might be worth it just because you prefer using it however and you'll never know until you try.

From owning both a LionCub and a LionHeart I have found that 5 levels of brightness is faster and more practical than needing 16, 24 or more. The new Chameleon provides true regulation and no pwm (correct me if I am wrong) on all five levels. Plus you can use differnt current tables, so if you wish you can also over drive the star in the light. The swith on the Lion Heart/Cub/Chameleon is a side switch and not an "issue" but a feature. Some people like it just as some people prefer twisties and clickies.

By the way - the comment about Fords and Ferraris was pretty funny.

I think in the end when you are looking for a light, you gotta look at many things. When you are buying a McGizmo, a Mr. Bulk, an ORB Light, a Gattling, a Larry Light, etc etc, you are paying money for items that may not necessarily greatly improve usability, but cater to needs beauty, feel, balance, and overall appearance characteristics. If all you need is just a variable light like the aforementioned VB-16 then there it is! There is a whole market of mass produced lights like the QIII, the Fenix, the VB 16, the SF G2, the SL LED, UK PP Luxeons, and on and on and on that are much more affordable due to mass production, materials, labor, electronics, etc etc etc etc that are fantastic lights and they are much more within the price range of more buyers.

Good luck in your search!

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is no compatrison between the two,infact the Chameleon is using a 24-25mm reflector if i remember right and not a 27mm.

And it still kicks *** with a smaller reflector.
While the VB16 is longer and not as versatile it has no real UI.
With the Chameleon you can have All diffrent Levels with only a push of a button.
The VB needs to be turned on with one button and then regulated with the other two.
And as far as design goes..The Chameleon is far better looking in my opinion,
and is easy to put in a pocket.

Benny

Latest posts