Need advice on O Ring lube

brightnorm

Flashaholic
I bought silicone grease for my o rings. I was surprised to find that the viscosity of the grease didn't make turning the lights on/off (twist heads) significantly easier.

I use my 2L's one handed, but it's a bit difficult. What sort of (petrochemical-free)lube will reduce torque resistance? Teflon?

Any advice appreciated

Regards,
Brightnorm

Brock

Flashaholic
If you have a pool store or dive shop near by they tend to have "O" ring lubes that work better. I don't know if it is Teflon or silicone. One of them is goopier then the other, I think Teflon is better.

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it ok to use Vaseline as a O ring lube?

Thanks
Jason
(Streamlight 4AA)

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Jason: That depends entirely on the O-ring. I think Maglite recommends it for their lights, while Princeton Tec prohibits it, for example. O-rings that are not petroleum-resistant will be quickly damaged by Vaseline, oils, etc. Be careful of the "Teflon" lubes - many are just petroleum oil with Teflon added.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by weremala:
Jason: That depends entirely on the O-ring. I think Maglite recommends it for their lights, while Princeton Tec prohibits it, for example. O-rings that are not petroleum-resistant will be quickly damaged by Vaseline, oils, etc. Be careful of the "Teflon" lubes - many are just petroleum oil with Teflon added.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Weremala,

Is there any way to know which teflon lubes
are petro-based?

BN

snake

Enlightened
Hello,
about the silicon used in diving gear (gease type), it is for air seal purpose and protection of the O ring. so to use as WD40 on O ring, generally the spary type will be thin enough for you.
bye

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unless you are 100% certain that your "O" rings are not composed of a butyl rubber compound (most commond type of o ring material), do no use WD-40 which is petro chemical base. The WD-40 will lubricate, but will also soften the butyl compounds.

Silcone grease is a lubricant, not a sealant (that is the job of the "O-ring") Another source of a high quality silicon spray is resturant supply. FDA approved, can be ingested, used on meatslicers, mixers etc

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just bought a 3 oz. tube of "Professional Lube Gel" that (i) is made by a company called Archer, and (ii) apprears to have a teflon base, and (iii) is sold by Radio Shack. It`s supposed to be good for a wide variety of things, including rubber gaskets, and is rated for use between -65 degrees F to +650 degrees F. Does anyone have any experience with or info on it for use with LED or Sure Fire flashlights?

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 5BY5:
Has anyone tried the super-lube yet?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That R.S. Superlube (teflon) gel seems to work just great in twist-on flashlights, like my Lightwave 2K. and Arc-AAA. -(it's not petro-based).

Lonewolf

Enlightened
I just got my free sample of super-lube in the mail and it works great plus you can't beat the price.
grin.gif
grin.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bucky:

Plus, there is a link to receive some free lube for your lights from superlube.com.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Bucky. Where are you seing the link to the superlube though? Am I blind?

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by darell:
Thanks Bucky. Where are you seing the link to the superlube though? Am I blind?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
There's no link. Just go to www.super-lube.com & click on their free sample order.
TX

Lonewolf

Enlightened
I got the free sample last night and it works great. Now when I tighten twist on my Arc LS there is no resistance from the o-ring. You all can thank me I was the first to post the link.

Lonewolf

Enlightened
In my previous post I meant to say Arc LE I must have been daydreaming when I said LS.
shocked.gif