Blackout, Fenix L1P, and flashlight envy

Hookd_On_Photons

Enlightened
The letters to the editor of a notorious men's magazine usually begin something like: "Dear editor, I've often wondered whether the letters published in your magazine were real. Well, I never thought anything like that would ever happen to me, but..."

There was a blackout in the OR of the hospital where I was working today! While the critical systems are maintained with backup power, most nonessential systems are not plugged into the uninterruptible power lines. Unfortunately, all of the room lights are apparently considered "nonessential", except for one ceiling mounted surgical light per operating room and the single emergency light mounted on the wall by the door.

Naturally, when the lights go out and you're not sure when they'll go back on, everybody gets motivated to finish the case as fast as possible. Fortunately, we were getting ready to close when the blackout occurred.

I told the circulating nurse to retrieve my Fenix L1P from my shirt pocket. I used the single functioning OR light, and the circulator used the Fenix to provide illumination for the anesthesiologist and the scrub nurse (so she could find instruments and count sharps and sponges on the back table while I worked).

As we were headed down the hallway to PACU, the Fenix cut a bright swath through the (surprisingly) dim lighting provided by the emergency lightboxes. Nurses and techs had located the emergency flashlights by that time - you guessed it, 99 cent 2-D plastic flashlights and Minimags. There were many comments regarding the amazing brightness of the Fenix.

The circulator in the room where a big spinal fusion was being performed asked to borrow my Fenix, because the lighting in the room was not adequate to illuminate both the surgical field and the back tables loaded with instrumentation. As I handed over the Fenix, the lights came back on. Oh well.

The Fenix was quite popular even after power had been restored, at least until I explained that it cost $40. "You paid how much for that? But it's just a flashlight!" How soon the unenlightened forget their fear of the dark, after the lights come back on...

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
They can always get the L1s instead :p
Great story!!

I don't expect people to start dishing out cash for $300 HDSes but $40 for a damn good light is reasonable, even if its the only light they buy.

rmacias

Enlightened
The Fenix L1P is a good light for blackouts. I had a similar situation happen to me at work but no lives were at risk. It's amazing how people react when they see a quality light in action.

Nice Story.

RJM

ChiefScott1701

Newly Enlightened
A few coworkers were making fun of me for all my EDCs (victorinox multi-tool, camillus knife, Fenix L1P, etc). One said, "Why do you carry a flashlight? What's that for?" I explained how you always need a little extra light and that I end up using it a few times a day, but I also noted that one never knows when there will be a power outage.

Well, 2 hours later--all the power went out in my office. Oh--and the emergency lighting was installed wrong and never tested, so it failed to come on. I was suddenly verrrry popular!

MacTech

Enlightened
Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Earth, USA, New England
I sort of have the reverse happen to me....

Central Maine Power (Crappy Moronic Power) is one of the most *incompetent* power companies in the universe, during a week, we can expect to have at least a momentary outage every day (typically less than 30 seconds), and outages lasting an hour or more are fairly commonplace, even during bright sunny days without a cloud in the sky....

...let me put it this way, i have APC UPS's (Uninterruptible Power Supplies) on my computer, my home theatre and the power filters on my fish tanks, does that give you an idea of how much i trust CMP? ;)

...anyway, i've noticed that since i've upgraded my flashlight arsenal, we haven't had a *single* outage in over a week....

it's a reverse Murphy's law, i tells ya, now because i'm adequately prepared for power outages, we won't get any... ;)

...fine by me

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
We had one major power outage this past summer that lasted for 12 hours. It was during that outage that I discovered how handy headlamps are and now I wont be without one around. My wife is a nurse and she now carries a Brinkman headlamp along with my first River Rock AAA, she swiped it this morning, and left her old AAA minimag on my dresser where it was, lol. She has the River Rock keychain light on her work badge also.

Last edited:

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm glad I own a FENIX 1L P. I recall seeing posts about the life saving aspects of having a flashaholic nearby in case of an emergency/disaster. Sept 11th etc

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
My dad gave me a weird look when I told him how much the fenix cost me and then I explained how I carry a flashlight all the time since about 1989 and it was like a tool to me. I had spent 35 on a pocketknife back in the 70s so a 38.00 flashlight was nothing if you truly use it.

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great story!

My power went out last week and of course I had my EDC (River Rock 2aaa at the time- now a Fenix L1P) handy to eliminate the complete sudden darkness. A buddy was over and couldn't believe I had a flashlight on me. Now that I have my modded low/high L1P, I'm even better prepared.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
MacTech said:
it's a reverse Murphy's law, i tells ya, now because i'm adequately prepared for power outages, we won't get any... ;)

...fine by me

I work by that law - when your systems are adequately hardened, tested, and protected against outages, the outages will never happen.

Either that or Murphy will arrange for you to receive a nuke after you've made sure your systems are bulletproof.

Hooked on photons, great story.. I didn't know you were a doctor. Were you the main man working on the patient?

I also believe in carrying the most powerful EDC that I can possibly cram into my pockets because you can *NEVER* have too many lumens. Well actually you can have too many lumens in certain situations, but that's also why I demand at least one of my EDCs has to be a variable power light so I can dial it down.

And you're right - how soon they lose their fear, I thought you would have made many more converts.

DaveG

Enlightened
I love to hear stories like this one,just gives me stronger conviction in the edc mentality,carry a flashlight it cant hurt.

Zigzago

Enlightened
Hookd_On_Photons said:
The letters to the editor of a notorious men's magazine usually begin something like: "Dear editor, I've often wondered whether the letters published in your magazine were real. Well, I never thought anything like that would ever happen to me, but..."

You left out the part of the story where the beautiful twin nurses need help finding their clothes in the dark. :naughty:

tmf2

Newly Enlightened
MacTech said:
I sort of have the reverse happen to me....

Central Maine Power (Crappy Moronic Power) is one of the most *incompetent* power companies in the universe,

..fine by me

I use to live in Waterboro .............elec was out all the time!

Dennis

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
cognitivefun said:
wasn't it Freud who first postulated the existence of Fenix envy??

But it was Jung who stated that there is a little flashaholic in all of us! LOL!

cognitivefun, that was hilarious!!!

jeepinpaul

Newly Enlightened
Last month at my office the power crashed for the entire day. We were not allowed to go home so we all stared at the walls. All the labs have windows, but the bathroom emergency lights died. My EDC Surefire E1L was borrowed my many coworkers for trips into the dark bathrooms that day! I receieve many compliments for my fine flashlight.

RemingtonBPD

Enlightened
Great story...I get the same response from other officers on my Dept. on my lights. (you spent how much???)...until we are doing building searchs and my L4 or M3 lights everything up...then the OOOOO's and AAAHHH's come out.

Latest posts