Fenix L2P vs. TerraLux TLE-5

cuervo

Newly Enlightened
My L2P just arrived from TadGear. Below are pics of size comparison and beam shots of it vs. the TLE-5 I put into a MiniMaglite. Beam shots are at about 4 feet. Click on pics for full size.

Size comparison. The Minimag has a NiteIze tale switch added.

TLE-5 on Minimag's tight focus.

L2P

The Fenix has a very positive tail switch that is shielded, so no worries of accidental turn ons as I had with the Minimag/NiteIze. And, it will go into a holster in either direction since its diameter is constant for the entire length of the light. It came with a lanyard and spare boot for the tail switch.

Last edited:

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your beamshot of the Fenix L2P seems quite a bit bluer than I was expecting -
is this so in actual (subjective) use?

How does the Fenix L1P compare since that is also spec'd at 46 lumens (albeit "maximum brightness" vs. the claimed constant 46 lumens of the L2P)

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The beam-quality on the Terrelux is awful.

-David

greenLED

Flashaholic
Not surprised at the difference. The TL-5 is a huge step forward from the stock bulb, and the newer reflector + HD Lux is better, but still not a smooth beam.
I'm getting an L2P at some point!

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just bought a TLE-5 a little over a week ago and the beam was not that poor... Matter of fact, it was similar enough to the Fenix L1P, that one might guess they use the same reflector. And the current production of the TLE-5 uses an R-bin emitter just like the L1P/L2P.

My particular TLE-5 and my particular Fenix L1P were very, very similar... I just can't convey how similar they were. But if comparing the TLE-5 to the L2P, I'd have to assume the regulation on the L2P will be better and as mentioned in the first post, I like that it will be able to be carried bezel down... though I doubt I will ever carry it.

jclarksnakes

Enlightened
I do not have an L2P yet. I just ordered one from 4sevens. I do have an L1P and a Minimag with the TLE-5 in it. I just did a comparison of them and the L1P wins. It reaches out a little further and has fewer artifacts in the beam. The TLE-5 is good but the L1P is better. My TLE-5 is one of the newer Lambertian ones. Both flashlights are using fresh off the charger 2500 NIMH batteries.
Jeff

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
jclarksnakes said:
I do not have an L2P yet. I just ordered one from 4sevens. I do have an L1P and a Minimag with the TLE-5 in it. I just did a comparison of them and the L1P wins. It reaches out a little further and has fewer artifacts in the beam. The TLE-5 is good but the L1P is better. My TLE-5 is one of the newer Lambertian ones. Both flashlights are using fresh off the charger 2500 NIMH batteries.
Jeff

Just to clarify, is yours one of the roughly 'two to six month old' TLE-5s or one of the modules within the last month or so since they changed to R-bin emitters? The high dome TLE-5s have been out for close to a year, maybe more but they were recently upgrade again with guaranteed R-bins.

jclarksnakes

Enlightened
cratz2,
...I am honestly not sure exactly what TLE-5 I have. I got it from LED Supply a couple weeks ago.
http://www.ledsupply.com/tle5.html
I stuck my first LED in a MiniMag 20 years ago but have not really become a flashaholic until just recently. There is a bunch I do not know about my new affliction.
Jeff

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
cuervo, Your Fenix L2P beam leaves the TerraLux TLE-5 beam far behind

I have the older TLE-5 and the beam quality is SH##!T, Can't wait for my
Fenix L2P to arrive.

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
gadgetnerd ,

My Minimag Mod is now going to be my "Bang around light"

I ordered the L2P and L1P from 4Sevens

chanamasala

Enlightened
cuervo:

What are your impressions of the L2P? Do you have an L1P and if so how does it stack up against that? So did the L2P meet expectations, exceed them or fall below them? Thanks for the pics.

Also, if anyone else has had time to compare the two what is your opinion about the L2P. Esp. interested in comparision to stock Q3 and SLJr.

nzgunnie

Enlightened
I just got the TLE-5 for the AA mag and the TLE-10 for the 2 cell AAA mag. I really like the TLE-5, a vast improvement over the stock bulb. Mine is a little blue, but not too bad. The TLE-10 on the other hand is terrible. It is urine yellow in all but the very centre. But it is still better then the mag bulb in the same torch.

Since I have an ARC AAA on order that will replace both the maglites as my EDC, I'm not too concerned. Both the TLEs have given my old mini mags a new lease of life.

cuervo

Newly Enlightened
I don't have the L1P, so I can't help there. The only other LED flashlight I have for comparison is a Gerber LX3 that uses NiMH. The Gerber makes the Fenix look yellow in comparison, but not as yellow as the Fenix makes the TLE-5. From just walking the dog and comparing the Gerber to the Fenix, the Fenix seems to have a better throw but the Gerber has a higher total output.

I bought the L2P for two main reasons:
1. The bezel isn't oversized like on most 123 LED flashlights.
2. It takes AA, so is thinner than most 123 flashlights.

Both of these features allow me to carry it bezel-down in the same pouch I was using for the Minimag (bezel-up) along with my pocketknife and a pen.

The picture makes it seem a little bluer than it really is. The hotspot is perfectly centered and the corona is larger and more defined than the TLE-5. I bought the TLE-5 at the end of August this year so don't know what bin it is. I was (an still am) pretty happy with it but the Fenix is better. I'm sure part of the TLE-5's shortcoming in my case is the reflector in the minimaglite. I can move the bezel around on the body and improve the hotspot a little.

Last edited:

Latest posts