Malaysian here?

nexro

Enlightened
Hi Wija,

Welcome to CPF :)

Shipping will depend on the method and which dealer you get from. I usually get my SF lights from lighthound or from other CPFers.

Otherwise, the G2 can be bought for about RM 240 locally from Ace Hardware or Tropical Equipment. Note that when you buy the light locally, warranty will be covered by the local distributor. That way, you don't need to send it back to SF in the US.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Going to the US Postal site, using a weight of 1 pound, & destination of Malaysia, results in the chart provided in my link for reference.

I'm not sure how your package would be mailed from your source or what type of packing materials they would use - so the 1 pound weight may be incorrect...

SIM37

Newly Enlightened
nexro said:
Hi Wija,

Shipping will depend on the method and which dealer you get from. I usually get my SF lights from lighthound or from other CPFers.

Otherwise, the G2 can be bought for about RM 240 locally from Ace Hardware or Tropical Equipment. Note that when you buy the light locally, warranty will be covered by the local distributor. That way, you don't need to send it back to SF in the US.

Well, if you have Singaporean friends going up to KL or if you have friends in JB that come to Singapore often, it cam be picked up for about SGD$65, around R$140 or so at Shears at Beach Road in Singapore.

Just give a shout out at the Singapore CPFers thread and ask if anyone is going to Malaysia who may be able to help any of you bring stuff there. R$240 is quite a ridiculous price to pay for a G2 if you ask me

BrianChan

Newly Enlightened
True. To be frank i never buy from tropical equipment due to their ridiculous prices.RM240 for a G2? C'mon for that money i can get a 6P from lighthound including shipping to my doorstep! Not to mention good customer service, explained everything nicely to me before i buy anything. To roughly know how much TE is selling a particular light in M'sia just convert the price listed in SF's site to Ringgit and TIMES 2 or 3.

Don't worry about the warranty.I recieved a Z58 tailcap from SF last month.They mailed it to me for free after i complained about mine not working properly. TE once told me before in a blunt way that i will not recieve any warranty support from them if i didn't buy from them, and if i bought something overseas I will still end up paying similar prices they offer in Malaysia (yeah right).

wijawara,

I and some of our fellow Malaysian CPF members have bought from various online dealers and rarely experienced problems with them.Anything feel free to ask us.

Lastly,

WELCOME TO CPF!!

Last edited:

Somy Nex

Enlightened
I don't have much experience buying locally, as I'm a compulsive obsessive internet shopper. so forgive me if i can't give you any local info. however.

so far, i've bought from a number of dealers listed on GreenLED's "CPF Specials" thread in the Dealer's Corner section, as well as a few others, and find them to be helpful and reliable. Of course, though, I also opt for upgraded shipping wherever possible... if you don't go looking for trouble, it's less likely to find you =P i also have an affinity for those who ship registered mail, since it requires a signature confirming delivery. :)

i'd say take a look at GreenLED's thread first, as you might get some good prices there. only if you can't find it at one of those dealers, would I look elsewhere.

Wong

Newly Enlightened
Hi Wijawara ,

I am from Penang and currently working in Singapore .

May I know your location ?

If you perfer buy online I highly recommend http://www.lighthound.com/ Just drop John a email and find out :)

Good luck

Best regards
Wong

flashgreenie

Enlightened
maybe you guys should do groupbuy and save on postage. Only problem is can you trust the person who is going to receive the entire package not to try out all the lights....:laughing::laughing::laughing:

nexro

Enlightened
flashlightgreenie,
I usually handle the GBs among my malaysian flashaholic friends but I'm opting for retirement now :p

flashgreenie

Enlightened
nexro said:
flashlightgreenie,
I usually handle the GBs among my malaysian flashaholic friends but I'm opting for retirement now :p

too much temptation???:lolsign:

Wish I had my flashlights back when I was younger. Always looked forward to the blackouts when LLN(now TNB) screwed up... :laughing::laughing::laughing:

wijawara

Newly Enlightened
i :sold: my soul! just kidding. im just a utilitarian.

well i dont feel comfortable with the prices here and kl too. not to mention the 'ET' stare i got from those sales ppl. i dont dare to imagine what's on their mind. lol.

nice info and thanks to all. btw, im from kuching with with contacts in kl, jb and s'pore. so im still evaluating the options available for me here. and we do have one LFS retailing SF.

why im thinking of SF? coz i saw a couple of friend's photos of their trips to the Mulu cave (largest in the world). mostly dark black photos coz the caves are so huge that the normal lights dont do much good. a good secondary light would make a huge difference.

i'm also trying to get info on night trail in Gading national park, and contemplating a Kinabalu trip with our Navy reserve officers next year, so you get the idea.:thanks:

flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
nexro said:
flashlightgreenie,

So young retire ah? Too much stress is it? :nana:

My vote goes to lighthound too.

Somy Nex, I sama sama like you! Adoi! :help:

a99raptors

Enlightened
Hi everyone!

Just joined up at CPF, though I have been a crazy fan of SF lights for almost a year now. Problem is, I live in Kl so the prices here are fanatical! Thanks for this thread about Internet orders. I always assumed that there were taxes and such, and that's why they were so expensive. Anyway, I am thinking of trying out my first internet order, so may I be so bold as to ask you for advice on that? What exactly do I have to do and how much to I have to pay? Thanks!
BTW. LOVE THE U2! Wish they shrunk the size down though....

BrianChan

Newly Enlightened
Hi a99raptors!

I'm from kl too. Take my advice,just don't buy anything SF/INOVA,anything in the glass cabinet in ACE, in kl. The talk about taxes,import taxes are from local dealers who wanted to scare you into buying from them instead of getting it online. I was once like you when i ordered my L5 from lighthound a few months ago. So i guess i'll tell you the steps i went through.Let's assume you want to buy a U2 from lighthound. Here goes...

1) Get a Paypal account. Most dealers you meet in CPF recieve payments through Paypal. Go to the paypal site to register.

2) Go to lighthound.com and add the U2 to the shopping cart. Pay attention to the international surcharge on the site. This applies to other sites as well. Some sites don't even ship overseas,some charge a high shipping fee. If this is the case,there are people here in CPF who are willing to help you buy the item and foward to you at a much cheaper rate. For a small item like a LED head or a tailcap,the shipping is actually 5USD via global priority mail.

3) After the purchase you might want to ask your dealer to declare a low value for our customs to prevent being taxed (lighthound does this for you everytime). All my items from him have never been opened, all stamped 'dilepaskan' by customs. An exception to supremeco who declares the full value of my A2 and it got ripped open by them to check. (out of curiosity for a flashlight which costs 119USD?)

4) After paying there goes the long and agonizing process of waiting for the light to reach you. :( Generally items from HK or China reach your doorstep faster.

So i guess that's all that i can remember. Anything feel free to ask! Take care (of your wallet!)

Somy Nex

Enlightened
Just to second what Brian said. pretty much you need a credit card and/or paypal account (you actually need a cc to get a PP account anyway) to make online purchases.

if you look above at my earlier post in this thread, i point people to greenLED's CPF special's thread. good place to start.

have fun, and hang on to your wallet :) it's a slippery slope down.

a99raptors

Enlightened
Thanks!! They were really helpful. I'm glad cause I figured about as much as what has been said as well. I was just really apprehensive when I read the $30 extra charge, but later realised it was for an upgrade for lighthound's services.

evanlocc

Enlightened
WoW !

Suddently, the flashaholic from 'BOLEH Land' pop up!

I think i should 'MIU... ...MIU' too! I from the Cat City!
wink2.gif

...still i don have any SF stuff.

a99raptors

Enlightened
Uh, anyone doing any bulk orders to Malaysia?

Been thinking about getting a few things from Lighthound eg M2, batts,... etc.

Thanks!