360 Coverage?

2ifbyC

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for a 360 degree azimuth coverage 'bulb/module' to replace my nav/anchor light. It needs to be bright and operate on 12 VDC. I've found a post-type unit for over $250!
awman.gif

Any suggestions?
thanks.gif

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you just want to replace the bulb in your existing anchor light or are you looking for a whole new fixture?

My anchor light fixture uses two "festoon" type bulbs separated by a wall. The forward bulb comes on when in "steam" mode (sailboat) and both are on for anchor to provide 360deg coverage. I've often considered making a homemade LED array to fit in the existing fixture. Problem is it will not be Coast Guard certified if you alter the original design.

2ifbyC

Newly Enlightened
I like you am using the festoon LED replacement bulbs. I'm not satisfied with the strength of the light. I'm hoping to replace the head with a homemade or modified unit.

I've been looking at the Osram Golden Dragon Camping Lantern. But I beleive it's 6 volts. If I could adapt the lantern head to 12 VDC and I think I would have more lumens than the festoons.

I remember finding a bulb with multiple LEDs in a 360 config but I can't locate the site now.:ohgeez:

Whatcha think?:anyone:

checkmate150

Newly Enlightened
I work for a Marine Accessories Company and we are working a new LED navigation lights, but they do not exist yet. I have not found anyone that yet makes a masthead/anchor light that you describe with LED's. The festoon lamps are common for this type of light and you probably need to replace them until a better alternative is available. Some time next year they probably will be available, and even then it is hard to get the cheap boat manufacturers to pay the extra cost. Same goes for aftermarket stores- they only want what is cheap. Good Luck.