What Rechargeable Light Should I Get?

quarkstar

Newly Enlightened
I need a flashlight with recharge capability. My requirements are;

1. Small size= Smaller than a Mag Charger, or a Stinger.
The smaller, the better.

2. Reliability= enough said. It most work when I need it, and be backed by a no $^#^# factory service policy if something goes wrong.

3. Bright= On the order of a Surefire G2

I have a Surefire G2 Nitrolon that I have been considering converting to rechargeable with the Surefire KR2-Bk kit. This would seem to be a good solution because it meets 1, 2, and 3 of above plus it utilizes a light I already have.

I don't need the light to be ready at a moments notice, meaning if I need to put the battery in and screw on a cap before it is used, that's OK.

So, is the KR2-bk kit/G2 solution correct, or would anyone suggest another answer?

RAF_Groundcrew

Enlightened
I have both the Surefire 8AX and 8NX, aluminium and nitrolon respectively... I mainly use the 8NX in my job as a military aircraft ground engineer, and it's great. In addition to the 2 Ni-Cd battery sticks that come with the light, I picked up another 3 from B/S/T on CPF, so I have around 4 hours of continous light if needed. The charger comes with mains adapter AND 12 volt vehicle adapter, so it's doubly useful. The battery packs can be found for as little as $12 here and there (new batteries, not used), and give out 110 lumens for 50 minutes.

I expect to save the equvalent of the purchase cost over about 40 hours usage (if you assume about £1 GB per lithium battery that I would otherwise use in a 9P or similar - 3 CR123s per hour runtime). In fact, it may very well have paid for itself already, and I haven't had it that long ! :rock:

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
As I read your description, I said to myself, "You've just described the Strion." Take away the need for a no-nonsense factory warranty and you can add the 3.7V, 1x168A, 70-to-80-lumen offerings from Wolf Eyes (6 series), Pila (GL2), and Microfire (M2R). For these lights, you'd have to remove the cell to charge it, but that doesn't seem to bother you.

For more brightness (but less runtime), look at the 175-lumen NT9, a 2xR123A model from Digilght USA. That company is gunning to become a serious supplier. All of their lights and parts now bear NSNs (National stock Numbers).

CLHC

Flashaholic
Hello Quartstar!

Like the others mentioned here. The Streamlight Strion is what fits your bill. . .Hopefully.

Enjoy!

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
For good prices on Strions, and any Streamlight product, contact Markell Inc. 707-573-0792. Markell is an official Streamlight warranty shop, and Streamlight distributer for Northern California. They have no web site, so call for prices. They ship. I am just one of their customers, and am not alliliated with them.

Bill

VWTim

Enlightened
I too thought Strion when I was reading your description. I love mine, which reminds me to throw it back on the charger today.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
As a noob, the Strion looks nice, but seems a little weak on the Lumens. That 175-lumen NT9, that Paul mentioned looks nice also...and has apparently more output.

Other than the price, any other reason not to go with the NT9 instead?

hector

Newly Enlightened
I'm on my second Strion and close to my third. First had the "focusing" mech seize. Second is having trouble holding the "bi-pin" bulb in place. First light was great until it seized. Second one is sometimes bright, and sometimes flickering. Hopefully, I'll go on to #3 and won't have the same trouble.

quarkstar

Newly Enlightened
Thanks to everyone! :goodjob:

Looks like I'm going to be "daddy" to a new Strion! :sold: