Anyone care to speculate..........(surefire)

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why no Surefire G3

I can't understand why they wouldn't do a 9V nitrolon light. production cost shouldn't be all that much more, yet I'll bet they could easily get $50.00-$55.00 for the light.

StainlessSteel

Enlightened
The more i think about a reply... the more i dont have one.

At first i was gonna say "cause you can getta 9p for $60, and they dont want competition for their own light." Then i thought: what about the 6p, the g2, the e2e, the e2l, the U2, the L2, the L4, the A2... and on and on. they all compete for the same 2 cell market.

Maybe it has to do with the heat of the P91 or something.... i have no idea & would like to know too...

Free bump.

Have a good one

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 8NX has to generate close to the same amount of heat as the P90. It is rated at 80 or so lumens.

The P61 is about the same as having a P90.

I still think they could make a G3 at a reasonable price.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
Someone posted pictures of a G3 prototype a couple of years ago.

It was said that it's not going to happen.

I would buy a few too.

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm, I think of the three-cell lights as more of a specialty light, while I consider the two-cell and nitrolon units as standard lights. Except for the M2, I see the two-cell lights as "consumer" models. My guess is that the need for a costly third 123 battery may turn some users off.

Just my wild speculcation.

Vee3

Enlightened
flashfan said:
Hmm, I think of the three-cell lights as more of a specialty light, while I consider the two-cell and nitrolon units as standard lights. Except for the M2, I see the two-cell lights as "consumer" models. My guess is that the need for a costly third 123 battery may turn some users off.

Just my wild speculcation.

Okay, I'll buy that.....Howsabout a G1 then? I'd buy one.

Size15's

Flashaholic
THe 8NX is rated at 110 lumens btw.

I believe flashfan has a very good point. The three-SF123A powered models are not nearly as mainstream as the two-SF123A powered models.
I guess a "G3" has not been demanded of SureFire in significant numbers for them to consider doing even a trial run.

As for a "G1" - Why? It would be the same size as the G2 only one-SF123A shorter. Too big compared to the E1e etc to be worth it IMHO.

Al

Schuey2002

Enlightened
Size15's said:
As for a "G1" - Why? It would be the same size as the G2 only one-SF123A shorter. Too big compared to the E1e etc to be worth it IMHO.Al
Was that why the 3P was discontinued? Or was it just a lack of sales? :thinking:

BlueGerbil

Newly Enlightened
Instead, they should work on a M9R (3x3 CR123, longer runtime then the M6, a bit thicker, with a battery holder for CR123 and a recharable pack)

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would like to see a G3. A nitrolon turbohead wouldn't be a bad idea either. :naughty:

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
And while we are speculating, why not HAIII the 6P and 9P

Police are notoriously frugal (read cheap).
The M series is usually more expensive than we want to go, but the 6P and 9P are not as durable as we would like.

kidatari

Newly Enlightened
Personally, I'd love to see a G3. But not a super-bright light, something with a bit of a longer runtime. Reason being because I work in aircraft maintenance, and having a light with 2+ hrs of good runtime is a bonus when you use it for extended periods.

Just one of those IMO things.

Vee3

Enlightened
Size15's said:
THe 8NX is rated at 110 lumens btw.

I believe flashfan has a very good point. The three-SF123A powered models are not nearly as mainstream as the two-SF123A powered models.
I guess a "G3" has not been demanded of SureFire in significant numbers for them to consider doing even a trial run.

As for a "G1" - Why? It would be the same size as the G2 only one-SF123A shorter. Too big compared to the E1e etc to be worth it IMHO.

Al

Why a G1? It would be cheaper (I'd think) than an E1e for one. I like the G2 for the plastic "knockabout" case. I'd likely carry a shorter one more often. Maybe not practical for some, but I'd kinda like to have a 1 x 123 Nitrolon light. An E1e Nitrolon maybe???

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally speaking, I probably wouldn't get a G1. When I first was introduced to SureFire lights several years ago, I purchased a 3P, 6P and 9P right off the bat. I ended up returning the 3P.

Then when the E1 was introduced, I purchased that as well. It too, was returned. For me, the total package of size, output and price just didn't cut it.

Then SF introduced the KL1, and I wished that I had kept the original E1. Since then, I've purchased several E1/E1e lights and KL1 heads. I don't think I'll ever really use the incandescent E1, but the E1/KL1 combo is one of my main EDC lights.

rikvee

Enlightened
I'm a big fan of the Nitrolon, it wears well, doesn't scratch anything else, feels good in your hand.
What is the advantage of aluminum, HA3 or otherwise, exactly?

Last edited:

BBL

Enlightened
rikvee said:
I'm a big fan of the Nitrolon, it wears well, doesn't scratch anything else, feels good in your hand.
What is the advantage of aluminum, HA3 or otherwise, exactly?
Same here... machined, anodized aluminum may be nice for flashoholics (me included) but practically it has major disadvantages.

I would like to see a complete nitrolon-line from surefire. c-/e-sized 2/3 cell bodies, regular-/turbo-heads, clickie-tailcaps etc.
the cost would be much lower - maybe thats the reason why they stay away

Kiessling

Flashaholic
The advantage of aluminium is heat transfer and ruggedness as well its conductive nature I guess.
bernie

SF Junkie

Banned
The G2 Nitrolon was developed by SF to be a "cheap" Flashlight that everyone can afford. If they made a "G3" that sold for around $55 - $60, it would still be in the same price range as the other more expensive flashlights, thus making not a "cheap" light. And besides, there is always the 9P.

carrot

Flashaholic
I'd just like to see a Nitrolon 1x123 extender for the G2. That way we can all use our existing G2s. The metal 1x123 extender on the G2 as posted in Size15's pics doesn't look very good.

Bryan

Enlightened
carrot said:
I'd just like to see a Nitrolon 1x123 extender for the G2. That way we can all use our existing G2s. The metal 1x123 extender on the G2 as posted in Size15's pics doesn't look very good.

I agree. An extender would be awesome.

But then again, if a G3 was ever introduced, I would be one of the first to buy it that's for sure! Some people stated it would be a waste since they have the 9P. I would rather own a G2 over a 6P anyday, and the same is true for a G3 over a 9P if that was an option. I love the Nitrolon because it feels good in my hand and doesn't get as cold in weather extremes. Plus I feel it grips better (and looks better!).