Newbie Mod Question

Wo Show

Newly Enlightened
Hello all,
I've been a member of the site for about a week now, and I am certainly hooked. I've been scanning the post's for some simple mods, and came across one for my 2C maglite. I installed (3) CR123's, and changed the lamp over to a KPR 113. It worked for about a second and then blew the bulb. I put another in, same thing. After some research, I found that maybe I should be using the KPR112, seeing it has a higher voltage capacity, 6 compared to 4.8.

Well, after visiting RadioShacK, I was only able to get a PR112, not the "K" Krypton version. I Installed and it worked fine. Well, I was out today passed another Radioshck, and found they had the KPR112 bulbs, so I bought one. I came home, installed it, and the samething happened, it burned out in about a second.

Am I missing something, or doing something wrong? The non Krypton version works fine? Would I see a big improvement even if I were able to not blow the "k" bulb?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
3x CR123s have a resting voltage over 9V.. but if you push them hard the voltage will dip closer to 7.3-7.5V.. I would recommend finding a bulb that is a little more exotic than store bought.. like the carley 1057.. potted and you can plug it right into that light.. That is a 6V bulb.. i'm not sure it can handle the DD of 3x123 but 15W is 5W each battery... they can take it, just barely .. .i don't work with bulbs lower power.. usually using NiMH or LiON batteries... CR123 are way too expensive to use IMHO..

upgrading to LiON cells and a 1111 Welch Allen bulb will knock your socks off but that's like 25W.. you also need a metal reflector and glass lens.. all stuff you'll pick up and figure out over time on CPF.

-awr

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine has worked fine with a KPR112. IIRC they also have a KPR118 that is a tiny bit higher voltage, but I can't tell that much difference in light output.

Latest posts