What are your thoughts on Fenix L1P vs. PeakLED Caribbean?

jay7430

Newly Enlightened
SO what are some of your thoughts? I know the Carribean is double the price, and seems the tested outputs are similar, but how does it perform in the real world?

Somy Nex

Enlightened
the caribbean is definately brighter than the fenix, and might throw a bit farther, although the fenix's tighter hotspot gives it a decent throw in its own right. if you ask me, on an absolute scale, the caribbean is better, but on a value-for-money scale, the fenix wins out. both can take rechargeable, and both will be brighter for it, although the caribbean more noticeably so.

however, if you are thinking of getting one or the other right now, i'd skip both and get the Peak CPF special, which comes included with a charger and 2 batteries at about 80+ bucks or so. it's much brighter than the caribbean, much less the fenix, and cheaper than the caribbean/mediterranean while this offer lasts.

you can see a set of comparison beamshots of the carib & fenix in the link at my sig. if you search around you can find at least one other who has done the same, though i forget the exact name of the poster.

onthebeam

Enlightened
I have both and the Caribbean is much brighter and much whiter. I'd suggest the Caribbean over the Peak special as an everyday carry. The special has much lower output unless using the rechargeables. Using the rechargeables, it's hotter and not as long running. So, it's a great show light for quick use but you'll have a dimmer light with the special if using it for a longer period of time. Also, the Caribbean pocket body is only 2.88 inch long--the red special is .5 inch longer.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
onthebeam said:
I'd suggest the Caribbean over the Peak special as an everyday carry. The special has much lower output unless using the rechargeables. Using the rechargeables, it's hotter and not as long running. So, it's a great show light for quick use but you'll have a dimmer light with the special if using it for a longer period of time. Also, the Caribbean pocket body is only 2.88 inch long--the red special is .5 inch longer.
thanks! i admit I thought the CPF special was brighter overall. looks like I'll get the AMILITE instead.
in the meantime I love my FENIX 1LP.!

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
jay7430 said:
SO what are some of your thoughts? I know the Carribean is double the price, and seems the tested outputs are similar, but how does it perform in the real world?
I've had both. IMO a big advantage of the Caribbean (pocket body) is smaller size and longer run time (assuming L1P has alkaline). With an e2 AA in the L1P run time is about the same.

The Caribbean also has way better regulation, which is nice.

The L1P is a very nice light for the price and the option of three battery types (alkaline, e2 lithium, NiMH) is nice.

Your eyes are often poor judges of overall output. To the casual observer both L1P and Caribbean both look bright. Central hotspot intensity looked the same on my lights, and my lux meter showed about the same. Flashlightreviews.com showed the L1P about 80% of the Caribbean lux number. Most people can't see that difference due to your eye's logarithmic sensitivity.

However the Caribbean hotspot is larger, and hotspot area (hence energy) goes up with the square of the radius. So it doesn't take a much larger hotspot to indicate much more power.

They're both nice lights. The Caribbean is somewhat higher quality, but the L1P is nice. The Caribbean (pocket body) is significantly smaller.

Personally if I was getting a powerful, very compact one stage, one battery light, I'd look at the AmiLite Neo T3. It looks very impressive. It's mid-way between the L1P and Caribbean in cost, but outputs much more than either, and is small as the Caribbean. Only downside is 1 hr run time to 50%, but that's same as the L1P on alkaline.

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/amilite_neot3.htm

Archangel

Flashlight Enthusiast
onthebeam said:
I'd suggest the Caribbean over the Peak special as an everyday carry. The special has much lower output unless using the rechargeables. Using the rechargeables, it's hotter and not as long running. So, it's a great show light for quick use but you'll have a dimmer light with the special if using it for a longer period of time. Also, the Caribbean pocket body is only 2.88 inch long--the red special is .5 inch longer.
Actually, there's a post that shows the Ranier doesn't necessarily run any hotter than the Caribbean. Forty minutes run-time has been plenty to get me through the daylight part of the day, so referring to it as a "show light" isn't really fair. (smirk) As for the lack of a pocket body for the CPF 2005 Special, i'd say that that's a reason to get the momentary switch, now isn't it?

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the other hand, I use my Fenix in candle mode around the house frequently, and have no issues letting it run for an hour using an Energizer 2500mah nimh.

onthebeam

Enlightened
Archangel said:
As for the lack of a pocket body for the CPF 2005 Special, i'd say that that's a reason to get the momentary switch, now isn't it?

Hi Archangel, What I meant was that the Caribbean is much shorter using the pocket body. The Peak special is just a hair shorter than the Fenix but the Caribbean feels much shorter in the pocket as an EDC. But, to each his own. Cheers!

2low

Newly Enlightened
joema said:
"Your eyes are often poor judges of overall output."

Really? ....That doesn't make any sense! We do carry around these lights to SEE better do we not? I don't know about you, BUT my eyes are the final authority when it comes to "overall output" on any light.

Peace,
gil

Last edited:

jimmybrown2

Newly Enlightened
2low said:
joema said:
"Your eyes are often poor judges of overall output."

Really? ....That doesn't make any sense! We do carry around these lights to SEE better do we not? I don't know about you, BUT my eyes are the final authority when it comes to "overall output" on any light.

Peace,
gil

Well, I guess he told you
:popcorn:

Raven

Enlightened
The Fenix uses aa batteries, while the Caribbean
does not, so it's apples and oranges.

For a light that uses alkaline batteries the Fenix appears to have no equal, though I'm reserving final judgement, until I see what flashlight reviews has to say.

onthebeam

Enlightened
Flashlight Reviews has reviewed each of these lights, L1P, Caribbean, and Amilite. Each gets 5 stars. So, it's what's really best for you. I have to admit that I was using my Fenix more than the Caribbean, until this week! I was one of the beta testers for Peak's new momentary clicky switch. That's made all the difference to me.

Now, the Caribbean is a bit more convenient than the Fenix for me. The switch is very responsive and convenient. For quick work around the house or when I get up late at night, I like a momentary clicky. Substantially whiter and brighter, too. But the Caribbean hotspot is still not so hot as to make it too hot glary (is that a word?) around the house, or for up close work.

I've been wondering about the CPF special. A superbright throw light isn't so great around the house, I've found. The Amilite is nice and smooth, though, great in any environment. Wonder if the CPF Speical hotspot is TOO hot for up close work, such as my Streamlight AA ProPoly Luxeon. Anyone care to weigh in on that?