Quick KL4 question

78CJ5

Newly Enlightened
I am sure there are many threads about this topic, but what one cell body and tailcap best compliments a SureFire KL4 lamp?

I have the KL4. I am looking for to buy the rest of the parts if anyone has them at a reasonable price.

Thanks for the help!

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
What do you mean by 'best'?

Cheapest? Shortest? Most durable? Most finish options?

Do you want a clickie or a twisty?

Kiessling

Flashaholic
2-stage or 1-stage?
Li-Ion or CR123?

There are several options ... but you'd need to define your "wants" first :D

bernie

greenLED

Flashaholic
I love it when someone asks about the "best" :grin2:

Edit to add: because it usually follows with people asking what "best" means, what the intended use of the light is, budget considerations, etc. Only then a sensible recommendation can be made. The options are extremely varied, as you will shortly realize.

Last edited:

78CJ5

Newly Enlightened
I was asking for a quick response and didn't give any details.

Sorry about that...

R123 - 2 stage

Last edited:

greenLED

Flashaholic
Woa! 78CJ5, dude, I'm really sorry. My post was completely meant tongue-in-cheek. If you look at my posts you'll see that I'm constantly pulling people's legs. You'll also find that I go to great lengths to welcome newbies and provide them with appropriate links, even when the questions are asked over and over, and over again. I was a noobie too, and it's quite overwhelming to find stuff on CPF (especially when the search function can't readily find old and useful stuff).

Your question about a single cell body and tailcap is definitely not a problem. The thing is, there are so many options available out there, that it's always hard to suggest a "best" solution. This is something that a few people have increasingly been warning about. Look for Bernie's posts, and my own, we're constantly reminding people of this. What do you want your light for? "Best" depends on your situation, intended use, etc., etc.

To summarize, I did not intend my post as an insult. If it was perceived that way, I apologize, it was not my intention. I do not consider myself to be a better man than anyone else either; I think that was uncalled for on your part. We are all looking to have fun on CPF, and baiting is not nice.

I'll shortly remove my initial post, with my apologies.

Edit: I just noticed, you are a relative noobie. I should've started by welcoming you. Welcome to CPF! :)

greenLED

Flashaholic
Instead of removing my post, I added a corollary, which should state the reasoning behind what I posted. Hopefully my choice of words is better this time and will help others realize why it's hard for other people to recommend "the best" light or accessories for a certain application.

Who says I'm male? :wave:

78CJ5

Newly Enlightened
[Who says I'm male? :wave:[/QUOTE]
I made that assumption based on your picture...

No worries about the post.

greenLED

Flashaholic
78CJ5 said:
CR123 - 2 stage

For a 2-stage, you're pretty much asking for a McGizmo two-stage switch. IIRC, the Aleph parts are SF e-series compatible, so you could easily use an Aleph 1x123 body as well. Here's a link to McGizmo's product descriptions.

Another option I see people using are VitalGear bodies; which I believe would give you the shortest body possible. I'm out of the loop on where to get those in the US, but supremeco (in HongKong) is a major flashlight vendor and a reliable vendor.

Once other people pitch in and you decide what you want, you might want to look through the CPF Specials thread. Maybe one of the vendors there will offer a discounted price on what you need.

Again, welcome to CPF.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
78CJ5 ... sorry for the answers in form of additional questions, but what you want has mayn solutions and you'll get the best answers from such a wide variety of possible solutions by further specifying your question.

If you want to use the SF KL4 head on 1x123 and have a 2-stage switch (for high and low mode) you are pretty much stuck with the McGizmo Aleph system. Not that this is bad as those are high quality components.

The key to success is the Aleph tailcap housing the McE2S 2-stage module making your light 2-stage ... by adding a resistor to drop the converter in the KL4 out of regulation and reduce brightness in the process. The so achieved low-mode is unregulated. Those are the possible Aleph tailcaps available:

Alephtailcaps-primary-new.jpg

To choose the brightness of your low mode you'll need to specify the value of the resistor in the tailcap ... the higher the number, the lower the low mode. please know that there is a difference when using CR123 and Li-Ion here ... Li-Ion will be brighter with the same resistor number.
Please have a look at the McGizmo forum here and read the Aleph-FAQ (linked in the sticky threads) to learn more about the resistor values.

The Aleph tailcap isn't a clicky though ... it's a twisty. Rotate for low mode and twist further for high. In addition to that you have the momentary button at the rear end to achieve either low or high with a press of your finger. Basically it works just like the SF L1/L2/A2 switch.

Then there's the 1x123 body you need ... and there the variety is big. As the Aleph System is modular and will is completely interchageable with SF E-Series lights you are free to choose here. You can use a SF E1e body or the Aleph 1x123 body as well as some other custom options.

NexGen3.jpg

Here's a Aleph Standard Tailcap on SF E1e with a McLux PR head.

Alephbodies.jpg

And those are the available Aleph bodies in various sizes. Color is HA-NAT (as pictured) or HA-dark slate (almost black).

If you don't insist on the 2-stage and want very small instead you can go for the VitalGear bodies ... teh 1x123 in your case:

chopsize.jpg

If you are further interested in the modular E-Series components there's a thread in the McGizmo forum called "Aleph compatible parts" which is referenced in the sticky section ... which contains all available E-Series compatible parts for your personal flashaholic's LEGO ... :D

Any further questions? Just ask.

bernie