The L2P arrived. An inexperienced opinion.

Boomerang

Newly Enlightened
My Fenix came today and it's running on two alkaline cheap-o bats. It cost $46.50 It's got a 1 watt LED and emits 42 lumens. It's about the size of the mini maglite.

The design flaw is that even though it looks like it has angular sides midsection, it will roll if given a start.

My Elektrolumen's Blaster ($50) though an inch longer (?) than the Fenix L2P and about three times fatter with the 3-AA canister driving a 3-watt luxeon far outshines the Fenix L2P. And for the price it''s hard to compare apples to oranges.

I am new to LED flashlights and I know that I wouldn't want to use a Blaster Jr to examine my computer's innards because it's too damn bright.

The L2P is outstanding for less blinding light needs, so, that said, I'm glad to own one. I'll get used to which is best for each task.

You experts were in my position at some point. Have mercy!

All the best,

Andy
Scannist

Boomerang

Newly Enlightened
Well the cheap-o bats that I turned on at 4:30pm are virtually dead at 7:00pm.

It seems about 2 hours of regulated before it drained.

Pity.

Andy
Scannist

BlackDecker

Enlightened
There doesn't appear to be as much interest in the L2P as what was generated from the L1P. 2AA flashlights are very common, whereas not many manufacturers make a 1AA light.

jbfla

Newly Enlightened
Just a thought...

Put in a couple of new name-brand alkalines and see if it makes a difference.

I thought my L1P was a dud because I put in a battery that I had laying on the workbench. I thought the light was nothing special and put it on the shelf for a few weeks.

After reading all the good things written about the L1P, I decided to give it another chance.

A new name-brand alkaline battery brought my "dud" to life. :)

jb

Raven

Enlightened
BlackDecker said:
There doesn't appear to be as much interest in the L2P as what was generated from the L1P. 2AA flashlights are very common, whereas not many manufacturers make a 1AA light.

I don't agree.

2 aa lux lights aren't common unless you count drop ins.

This light has a small profile and superior finish, as well being waterproof.

That puts it in pretty exclusive company.

Really, what's the competition.

A SL JR?

I don't how anyone could trust a SL after all the reliability issues.

Drop ins?

I just ordered my 2nd drop in, but I wouldn't want to switch batteries in the dark, and risk losing the bulb.

Nope, if the L2P has solid regulation, I just don't see any lux in it's class.

Here's to hoping we see a L3P in 2006, with a fully regulated lux3 bulb!

hsjrev

Newly Enlightened
Raven said:
Drop ins?

I just ordered my 2nd drop in, but I wouldn't want to switch batteries in the dark, and risk losing the bulb.

Huh?? the O-ring that came with my Madmax keeps the sandwich in place just fine even if I shake it pretty hard with the batteries out. No problems changing batteries here. I do agree that high quality 2AA Luxeons aren't common and the L2P looks like a nice one. I've bought two L1Ps and given one as a gift but I doubt if I'll get an L2. It's kind of hard for me to justify when my 2AA Madmax works so well but it would be a very nice light for someone who doesn't want to mod.

Boomerang

Newly Enlightened
Boomerang said:
Well the cheap-o bats that I turned on at 4:30pm are virtually dead at 7:00pm.

It seems about 2 hours of regulated before it drained.

I re-read the info at the fenix sight and it stated:

4-hour full brightness with Ni-MH battery

So the cheap-o bats were the problem with the 2 hour performance.

Going to purchase some powerful ni-mh bats. I'll bet that takes care of that issue. Fenix wouldn't make that claim if it weren't so and it makes sense.

It was just that I annually buy a case of about 800 bats at the wholesale club for my scanners, radios and digi-camera.

But these LED flashlights are a different animal. :hairpull:

Andy
Scannist

DigMe

Enlightened
Boomerang said:
It was just that I annually buy a case of about 800 bats at the wholesale club for my scanners, radios and digi-camera.

But these LED flashlights are a different animal. :hairpull:

Andy
Scannist

Buy a case of 2300-2500mah rechargables and some battery chargers. Then you won't have to buy every year.

brad cook

Somy Nex

Enlightened
i second that. especially with regard to digicams, which mostly run better on rechargeables anyway. maha (and probably others too) also makes chargers that can charge a large numberof batteries (8-10 or something), together or individually.

also, you can also try the 1.5v lithium AAs, which will make for a much lighter L2P.

onthebeam

Enlightened
Raven said:
Really, what's the competition.

A SL JR?

I don't how anyone could trust a SL after all the reliability issues.

My experience has been the opposite, but to each his own. My Streamlight Jr. Lux is built like a tank, very bright, especially with Panasonic Oxyrides, and has never had a problem. Doesn't roll off the table either. My Fenix L1P,which I do love, had a reliability problem in the switch like so many others. That makes me hesitate to take it on a trip.

Boomerang

Newly Enlightened
DigMe said:
Buy a case of 2300-2500mah rechargables and some battery chargers. Then you won't have to buy every year.

brad cook

You speak the truth.

I did go overboard and bought a 4-pack of energizer lithium E2 bats just to see the difference from cheap-o to top-o-the-line 3000 mah.

I started the L2P at 1330 (1:30pm).

So I imagine it'll last better than 4 hours. I know they're throw aways, but just this once! :wave:

Andy
Scannist