Outstanding Fenix L1P throw observation

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had to run down to work tonight and thought I'd test out the throw on my new L1P. The building where I work is 320 feet long with a clear view from one end to the other.

It was completely dark and I took my L1P out already set on the low setting see my mod here to see just how far I could make out things (it was running on the Energizer alkaline I had put in it 5 days ago when I got the light). On low (5 ohm resistance accross the switch) I could clearly make out things at about 100 feet. I stood at one end of the building and could see the reflection from 3 shrink-wrapped pallets of paper that were 300 feet away.

On high I could clearly make things out at about 250 feet. At the full distance of 320 feet, I would have easily been able to see anyone standing at the opposite end, though I would have not been able to tell who it was.

I wouldn't have believed this unless I had actually seen it! Outstanding throw from a single AA light. This little sucker is AWESOME!!

Last edited:

colubrid

Enlightened
I bought Fenix LP1 I don't know jack about lights so I bought several higher dollar lights including a surefire. So far they are all outshone by the Fenix.

....is outshone even a word?:grin2:

chanamasala

Enlightened
I use my Fenix indoors often in my not-huge house. I sometimes say to myself, "why am I so into this light? Neat, but not awesome." Well, whenever I bring it outside at night and shine it around into trees and across yards I'm amazed. Especially this one time walking from a bus stop coming to my folks NJ home with my brother from a concert in NYC. We walked up a dark steep hill and along non-lit suburban woodsy streets. We both couldn't believe it when the Fenix lit up about 3/4 of a long block on a pitch black night. On nights like those from a good distance away you can really assist people treading over uncertain terrain. Now I'm like Lenny from "Of Mice and Men" always petting my Fenix in my pocket. Hope I don't break it like he did his mouse.

Last edited: