Which version of windows are you using?

Which version of windows are you Using?

• Total voters

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Which version of windows are you using here on cpf?

Windows ME is what I'm using still.
What the hay, it works. :shrug: :p

Last edited:

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are planning for a upgrade, wait for a couple of days,

Windows Vista (a windows copy version of Unix Mac OS X) will be on sale soon.

Saaby

Flashaholic
2 of the 3 Windows machines here run 2000. One runs 98, but I forgot to vote it. It's my dad's work-provided machine anyway.

paulr

Flashaholic
Fedora Core 4 GNU/Linux. Windows?! Barfff!! :thumbsdow :nana:

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't run Windows.

I am running Fedora Core 4 GNU/Linux. My experimental PC runs Ubuntu GNU/Linux, but that's subject to change.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
98-se on one machine and Win2k on the other. As long as all of my applications work I see no reason to upgrade.

I occasionally use various versions of Linux on an experimental machine with front-loading removable drives.

Last edited:

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
2000 Pro, baby! My computer hasn't locked up one single time since I installed 7/19/2002. In my experience, 2000 may not have all the latest, greatest features for gamers and whatnot, but it is the most stable and the best at handling resources.

Edit - I voted based on my main computer. Actually I have two other computers, both of which run XP Pro. One is a laptop I rarely use and the other is a desktop that I used to try a lot of hardware in and XP is usually just easier to make unusual hardware work in.

Last edited:

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
Our 2 desktops at home are 98SE, our Dell laptop is XP Pro. My desktop at work is XP Pro.

The desktop at work has 2 times the clock speed of my home machines and 4 times the RAM, but is slower overall. I'm guessing that something was rewritten between 98SE and XP, and lost a lot of efficiency. From a user's standpoint, XP has taken a step back in many ways- it is slower, many things are harder to do in it, etc. I have seen 2 advantages to XP- I don't have to reboot as often due to running out of resources, and it is easier to deal with USB devices. Otherwise I prefer 98SE.

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
Windows XP Home Edition on both my desktop and laptop. No major problems so far.

I have Windows for Workgroups 3.11 on a old harddrive from my 386 as well.

Hmm, I noticed no one voted for XP Media Center

Blackscreen.jpg

Last edited:

drizzle

Enlightened
BatteryCharger, are you really currently using all those OS'es? Or are you including ones you have used in the past?

Neg2LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
(semi-legal ) 3.1, (legal) 2000, (bootleg) MCE, (legal) XP Pro.

Also several UNIXes and several Macs

--neg

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, what do you know? I'm currently in the majority! XP Pro. I think maybe a "I'm not using Windows" option should have been up there, though.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
You know, an "I'm not using Windows" category would have been quite appropriate, for those using Linux, one of the Mac OSs, or Commodore 64s to visit CPF with.

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Suse Linux 9.3 At home. 9.2 on my road notebook. 98Se on the boat anchor at work. I won't upgrade it to XP Pro like the other network systems because it works and my Visual Baisc programs and other work related crap might crash and burn. That plus it is just tooo old and slow. ;)

I just retired my original computer. A Zeos 386 notebook. 20 Mhz processor, 2 meg memory, 20 meg hard drive. No mouse port. monochrome. Windows 3.11. Hard drive finally died. Looks Like I got my $2.700 worth out of it. :)

h_nu

Enlightened
My desktop has a removeable hard drive and I have Win98SE, Debian, and XP Home on different hard drives. I also have some multi-boot partitioned hard drives. This laptop is Win2K and the newer is XP. I also have some boot CD's and a DOS floppy with Arachne.

My choice of operating system usually is decided by what I should be doing instead of hanging out here. :)