Can Inova X5 / T3 handle 3.7v RCR123's ??

zoltar

Newly Enlightened
Basically, that's what I wanted to know... Rechargable cr123's that I was looked at are rated at 3.7v. I don't want to fry the regulator!

AND where is the best place to buy the charger / batteries? Are the Ebay engrish ones any good?

Last edited:

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
The X5 is resistored I think as the normal voltage supplied is 6v. If the cells fit the resistor should absorb the extra voltage but the current draw will be higher than before and that might cause the lamps to fry prematurely. I have some Ultra-something Rechargeables and they barely fit down the tube. Most other brands won't fit at all.

Two standard Lithiums in this light is not that bad of a deal. It runs forever on a set. Unless you leave it on :) by accident.

Don't know about the T3.

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are many old threads discussing the use of two RCR123 in Inovas.

To make it short: Do not even try.
The X5 will draw 600 mA from two RCR123 and the LEDs will be gone after few minutes.
The T3 will come on for a fraction of second - and then will go off, because the electronics will be fried istantly; with the warranty void.

Anthony

zoltar

Newly Enlightened
K, that's what I thought. I am going to do some travelling, so using rechargables and a 240v recharger is about the only way I can do it. I don't trust supplies of CR123's in under-developed regions!

I was thinking of a Peak Led - Kilmanjaro single AA as an EDC.

Yeah, my X5's batts last a long time!

Last edited:

ChrisA

Enlightened
r123s might be a bad idea but has anybody tried a pila 150s ? 18650 cells are too wide to fit inside the x5, but the pilas are slimmer. since only one cell is used, the voltage should be fine...

chris

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you can fit a 168S in the Inova X5, it will do fine. A bit on the dim side, but works.
To have the 168S fit, somebody has peeled off the extra label on the battery.
BTW, I suggest you to use the combinations that are known to work well with the Li-Ion:

-E1e/KL1 with RCR123
-E2e/KL1 with 168s
-L4 and L5 with 168s
-U2 with 168A or bare 18650
-C3/M3 with two 150s
-HDS with RCR123

Anthony

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
zoltar said:
K, that's what I thought. I am going to do some travelling, so using rechargables and a 240v recharger is about the only way I can do it. I don't trust supplies of CR123's in under-developed regions!

I was thinking of a Peak Led - Kilmanjaro single AA as an EDC.

Yeah, my X5's batts last a long time!

I don't trust supplies of CR123's in under-developed regions!

What nonsense is that!??:huh2:

I pack my Inova XO wherever I go in this world and never had a problem with the CR123's supplies. Just about every country in this planet has a bunch of Kodak/Fuji film developing stores and other decent Photo Specialty stores which sells name brand batteries (a lot better than Battery Station bargain batteries) . So unless you're too cheap to buy american/japanese brand batteries, I see no reason to be worrying about the battery supplies in "under-developed" regions.

And don't even try using rechargeables in your T3, it's gonna fry immediatly. If you really need or prefer to use rechargeables, consider getting a T4, it's a darn good investment.

Last edited:

AZLight

Newly Enlightened
Ray_of_Light said:
There are many old threads discussing the use of two RCR123 in Inovas.

To make it short: Do not even try.
The X5 will draw 600 mA from two RCR123 and the LEDs will be gone after few minutes.
The T3 will come on for a fraction of second - and then will go off, because the electronics will be fried istantly; with the warranty void.

Anthony

My X5 and T3 have no problem with BS RCR123 for the past three months and I use them for hours on end last week during my elk hunt. No problem with old Streamlight 2L LED either.

DreamScape

Enlightened
zoltar said:

A fair point there. Each to their own.

Outdoors Fanatic said:
Just about every country in this planet has a bunch of Kodak/Fuji film developing stores and other decent Photo Specialty stores which sells name brand batteries (a lot better than Battery Station bargain batteries)

Check out SilverFox's Quality work on the CR123 Battery shoot out HERE
Battery Station sure are keeping up with the big boy's :laughing:

Anders

Enlightened
Yesterday i received two 17670 from AW.
I thought that they would fit, but they was to wide for my Inova T3.
The battery diameter was 17,14 and the T3 was just under 17 mm.

I took the light to my job and made the tube wider with sandpaper glued on a piece of 2 mm foam and the foam was glued on a 12 mm iron pin.
Then i put it into my drilling-machine and in a couple of minuts it was ok.

I get 2500 lux with two cr123 A and 2100 lux with the 17670, (just for comparison.) almost the same output for me. Don't know yet if the new 17670's last the same time as CR123 A's but they are problaby weaker.

Sorry for my english.

Anders

Latest posts