so what's the advantage of LED bezels?

MacTech

Enlightened
Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Earth, USA, New England
so what's the advantage of....

i was browsing around the SureFire website looking at the available upgrades for my 6P, specifically, the LED heads....

what's the advantage of the KL3 over the BOG drop-in, the regulator circuitry?, the lens assembly?, the SureFire branding really doesn't make any difference to me, i'm looking for bang-for-the-buck here, and right now, the BOG LED module has the edge in price over the SF, yes the KL3 looks cooler, but it costs more than the flashlight it's connected to, surely there has to be some reason why the KL3 is "better"....

and while i'm on the subject, what's te advantage of the KL5 over the stock P60, they both put out 65 Lumens of light for an hour, yet i could buy 2 6P's for the price of 1 KL5 head, what's the advantage there, the durability of the LED is a given, yes, but that aside, why should i spend $140 to get the *same* level of light output i have now, just for "durability"?

Heh, we stingy Flashaholics are fun, arent we? ;)

right now, based on price/performance/light output, it seems the BOG LED drop in has the edge, at least for me....

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: so what's the advantage of....

MacTech,

Flashlightreviews.com has done a review of all of these options, and he can help the best with lux measurements, beam patterns, and runtimes. I'm a bigger fan of the BOG drop in than the others, but make your decision on what you want.

With the $$ you would save over purchasing a SF LED head, invest in a two-stage switch mod available from the SandwichShoppe. Here's the thread if you want to read up on it: http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=83844

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: so what's the advantage of....

On the issue of the KL3 vs Lux III BOG module... the KL3 has perfect regulation for longer, but is less bright. The reflectored BOG has less throw than the KL3 which uses an optic. I've owned both and I prefer BOG and reflectors in general. And I like a usable spillbeam in almost all of my lights though the KL3 is a fine piece.

As far as why one would opt for the KL5 over the P60 in the 6P... I think it's one of those kinds of things where if you have to ask, you don't understand and it probably isn't for you. A lot of folks drive Tahoes and Yukons and some folks ante up for the Cadillac Escalade.

Having said all of that, my current favorite 2x123 light uses a BOG module modified with a TW0K emitter. The main plus for me for either of the Lux III modules is since they are designed to run on 2 or 3 primary cells, it should be able to run on 2 3.7V-4.2V rechargeable R123s which is what I'm all about.

Latest posts