Richard Pryor RIP :(

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
The thing I always respected about him was his ability to laugh at himself and his flaws. So I think he would want us to laugh today instead of being mournful.

So for him........:crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, God Bless him.

I didn't realize that he had MS and had been in such bad shape recently. He looked pretty sad in the most recent footage they are showing of him. I rather imagine he is glad to have passed on.

The thing I find kind of curious is that Senator Eugene McCarthy died today too... A man who had a shot at becoming President in 1968, a man who was central to shaping 'liberalism' to become what it is today. Yet Prior seems to get all the news coverage.

Well, I guess people that can make us laugh are more important than people who try to make us feel bad about our country.

May they both rest in peace.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Funny man provided us with some classic laughs. Sure he made some mistakes (as well alll do in some way, shape, or form - none of us on this earth is perfect!) - but he was up front about them.

R.I.P. Richard!!

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
Didn't realize that he co-wrote "Blazing Saddles".

Great movie. LMAO at it.

And also forgot he played a more dramatic part than usual as "Piano Man" in Lady Sings the Blues. He did very well in that part too.

Last edited:

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
In my opinion, "genius" is not too strong a word to apply to Pryor.

The first 10 minutes of "Harlem Nights" is one of the greatest things I've ever seen.

I've always appreciated the wisdom of Mudbone.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
His humor came from pain - his own and many other's. He was a courageous man who wasn't afraid to shine a light on difficult topics. He was not only a comic genius but a pioneer.

RIP, Mr Pryor. Thank you for your courage.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Silviron said:
Well, I guess people that can make us laugh are more important than people who try to make us feel bad about our country.

Well, we need them both, but even in a totally anarchistic world, we would still need comedians!
icon14.gif

It's funny how we put the dead up on a pedestal forgetting all their flaws for a short time. But I think that's more due to not fully realizing how powerful some people are in our world. I mean, think about it... out of the probably 400,000,000 or so people that have lived, just in the US, during Richard Pryor's comedic lifetime... think of how many people he reached, even if just for five minutes at a time. Thank of how many people laughed because of him. Think of how many cumulative laughs that must be.

Bless you, Mr Pryor.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
o thats sucks i liked him so much he always made me laugh.