KL4 with 3 cells?

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Ok, we found out that the KL5 can now handle 3 cells, 9 volts. Three CR123s, two 17500 LiIon, or other LiIon X2. How about the KL4? Did Surefire change the circuit on the KL4, also? I inadvertantly put in two RCR123's in my L4 today, and it worked fine, though it did scare me when I noticed the switch. The RCR123 cells were not charged up to capacity, and the KL4 circuit was pulling 660mA's from the cells. Has anyone run their KL4 with 9 volts, and what was the result. We need a brave soul to try this out.

Bill

TheSteve

Newly Enlightened
I don't feel like putting 2 RCR123s in my L4 - I strongly recommend against it.

I did try it briefly in a brand new U2(just to see if the power supply had changed at all), its certainly not recommended - you can tell its not in proper regulation as it goes to max brightness on almost all levels.

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
The KL4 will not survive at these higher supply voltages. At much above 7V it will fry eventually. At 3x123 it probably won't take very long. 2x123 max.

The KL1 is quite happy with 1, 2 or 3 123's or equivalent.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I am aware of the danger of over voltage. The KL5 circuit has been changed recently, and can now take 9 volts, I was just wondering if maybe there was a change with the KL4. When I had inadvertantly used 2 RCR123's I checked the amperage, and it was relatively low, so led was not being over driven amp wise.

Bill

Latest posts