Malkoff        
Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 12345678912 ... LastLast

Thread: Where did all the oldtimers go.

Default Re: Where did all the oldtimers go.

Even though my start date shows Sep 2004 I was here in 2001 under the name of "Flashaholic". I still have emails in my email outbox/inbox to/from Size15's from April 2001. I left for awhile and then returned. I find it more interesting than ever now with all the hotwires.
    Upon my return I could not find my old CPF handle so I created a new one.

Flashaholic*

It's been very exciting my first year or two here when Lux's were just coming out and modding was not widespread, especially with few people willing to shell out $60-$200 on Surefire lights only to disassembly them upon receipt . I guess I've suffered from boredom, burnout (probably did over a hundred mods for others, with my wife questioning my sanity) but spending time away reminds me that I'm still a flashaholic deep down inside. It is nice to have some sense of stability that can only be realized by looking around and seeing familiar faces of the past.

Lurked for a very long time trying to learn everything. It never happened, I'm still trying though. The new software has made me older. I used to be #8282 now I'm #5661; starting to feel my age.

-LT
    lunal tic (n)
    a distinctive behavioral trait or quirk directly related to or caused by light [15th cent. Latin lunaris. Ultimately from an IE word meaning “light,”] and [Early 19th cent. Italian ticchio.] see also: moon quirk

Flashaholic

whoa, never realized i'm an oldtimer already (# 448)... it's like darrell already pointed out:

Miss a weekend now, and it takes the whole next week to catch up! So much goes on now that I haven't even the slightest clue about.
    it's sunday night, 2 am, i need to be up and running in about 4 hours and i'm still trying to catch up...

chris

I joined two years ago and I still feel like a relative noob here. Compared to the vast body of knowledge in this group, I think I will always feel this way.
    Veni vidi velcro

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by JonSidneyB
    When I look out on CPF,

...snip... Where did everyone go? I miss many of the oldtimers.
    I'm here

Flashaholic*

Jon

You calling me OLD?

I'm still here doing more reading than posting. I figure why post if someone else has said the same thing in a thread. See you all at my third SHOT show.
    Member# 588

Quote Originally Posted by MrMom
    I figure why post if someone else has said the same thing in a thread.
    If the search function worked on the older threads I'd agree but until it does I try to use what's left of my brain cells to recall what I've gleaned from past threads.

There are lots of newbies with the same questions most of us had at some point but they have only a couple of months history to search for the answer.

-LT
    lunal tic (n)
    a distinctive behavioral trait or quirk directly related to or caused by light [15th cent. Latin lunaris. Ultimately from an IE word meaning “light,”] and [Early 19th cent. Italian ticchio.] see also: moon quirk

It's hard to find time to log in. I just remembered that I had not been here in a long time and when I logged in I found that me message box was full of unanswered PM's from the last couple of months. oops. This has always been a great community with some of the most helpful folks around but I do miss the atmosphere it had when it was smaller.

My first post is:

The_LED_Museum
    08-11-2000, 10:04 PM

You know, I too found this through Brock's flashlight links. I can't wait till this place starts to rock - and if all the e-mail I get about flashlights (sometimes up to 50 e-mails a day!!!) is any indication, it probably won't take very long to get this place hopping.

I was one of the people who lurked for a couple of years before signing up, like quite a few others I Found CPF through Craigs site.

i'll be workin on the railroad, all the live-long day-ay-ay-ay...

1.6 years and counting.
    one thousand, one hundred and twenty two posts and counting.

Wow.

--neg
    "Barad-Dur was an inside job. Everyone knows dirty little hobbitses can't melt mithril beams."
    | too many 47s products
    | Mag2D nFlex LuxIII/6AA NiMh Mod (from when that was good) | Absurd Jayrob 5A MT-G2 MagLite | User 4798 |

Over four thousand posts from me so far - wow. No wonder my fingers hurt!
    Veni vidi velcro

Flashaholic*

Like the others said, I remember when I could catch up on all the posts in one sitting. Because of CPF, I got my first "real" flashlight the Surefire 8nx, then the E2 and it was downhill from there.

Now I mostly browse "The Cafe" and see if anything catches my eye on the "new posts" link.
    Billy

*Flashaholic*

was refered to cpf for info concerning world's first production luxeon light.

of course it was Peter Gransee's Arc LS first run of 100 units. I got on the list, but didn't join cpf until much later.

due to miscomunication on my part missed out on an original first run. of course much later, much regretted not joining cpf way back then.

while digging thru cpf, came across Craig (ledmuseum) fell extremely ill and cpf members went thru great lengths to make sure Craig was OK.

was totally amazed at what cpf'er would do to help a fellow cpf'er in need.

Flashaholic*

I found this place through flashlightreviews and haven't been afraid of the dark since.

Quote Originally Posted by cy
    not really an old timer, but starting to feel burn-out...
    Me too. I've been feeling this for a few months now.

I guess my sentiments echo Chris M when I suddenly realized how much money I'm blowing on this hobby/addiction when the next light isn't really much better than the last.

Wow, I'm member 3482. We're now at 11,500 in just the 2 years that I've been here. Didn't Sasha purge a lot of inactive members during the software upgrade? I'm pretty sure I'm not that old.
    Last edited by Billson; 12-12-2005 at 12:01 AM.
    Bill

Wow, this is a cool thread. Some old-timer names are familiar, others I don't even recognize.

It'd be cool to know how your involvement with CPF was changed/evolved since you joined. Me, I'm switching back to modding/tinkering

Flashaholic

They probably realised that they were spending way too much time/energy/money on something that doesn't really mean a whole lot in life.

I came to that point on the firearm forums. Guns are great and all, but my cats often give me more daily satisfaction. They're alive. Family and friends are much more important than internet foums (Or cats)...

Quote Originally Posted by Vee3
    They probably realised that they were spending way too much time/energy/money on something that doesn't really mean a whole lot in life.
    Bite your tongue! Blasphemy.

-LT
    lunal tic (n)

Quote Originally Posted by greenLED
    Wow, this is a cool thread. Some old-timer names are familiar, others I don't even recognize.
    DR. EVIL (slightly distracted)
    "Some of you I know, some of you I'm meeting for the first time."

Thinking Re: Where did all the oldtimers go.

I didn't go anywhere, I just got older...
    BART

I still like to pop in every few weeks to see whats new and exciting when I have some extra cash in my bank account. I think the main reasons I haven't been on as much is because 1) work 2) Battlefield 2

Flashaholic*

...been here almost four years now! I'm FINALLY about to go over 1000 posts! A lot of times my posting comes in spurts, but I'm usually around AT LEAST once a day. I was lead here while buying my first "real" LED flashlight (an EternaLight Rav'n 2) back in'02, and haven't looked back since! Like you, I like to see postings from some of the REAL old-timers like Brock and others...it makes CPF keep feeling like "home"! In spite of some of the "upheavels" we've had over the last year or so, I STILL think it's the best open forum on the internet!

PJD
    Seize the day!

*Flashaholic*

for me, it's been an amazing two years with 5,000+ posts.

I've taken a lot from cpf, but have tried my best to give back. Have always been amazed at time generously given to produce fabulous posts with loads of pictures.

beamshots series by kessiling sticks out as some of the nicest work generously given to community of cpf.

Al must have largest Surefire collection outside of Surefire Craig must have spent countless hours putting his site together.

Larry's meticulous attention to detail results in finest example of lights anywhere. Don's fertile mind seems to be non-stop in producing new inovations. Peter Gransee brought the timeless Arc LS and Arc AAA to market. JSB pioneered protected R123 li-ion cells.

PK stays in the background, but you can feel his influence in many products. Wayne, MJ, Georges80, DougS, DJpark have made bleeding edge designs actually available to purchase......

Who was/is the "Ultimate Old Timer" #1

The founder-creator of CPF (or was it a small group)

Anyone know the story: Got to be a story there.
    Bet allot of newbies & oldtimers would like to hear!

P.S. I thought CPF was much older.
    My CJ 7 is a 1984!

Still here and closing in on three years. There's fewer lights that I want now (should be after all I've bought), but my interest is still there. The new lights coming down the pike should be better than ever.

Geoff

Still gamely hanging in there. I think much of the "burn out" is because of the waning new product fever that typically, and joyfully, grips the CPF community. The question for me is, do I still enjoy using, modding and optimizing my flashlight collection daily? For me, the answer is still yes, so onwards and upwards...

Besides, the next big product, be it led, incan, battery, etc, anxiously awaits us all...
    The Phaser: A nice EDC with great throw; heat and runtime can be issues.

Best Diffusion Film!

Flashaholic

I, too, remeber when MM sandwiches were the best! I haven't been around too long, but I've come-and-gone in spurts. Seen and learned a lot! I really respect and admire a lot of the "oldtimers" and the knowledge they have brought to CPF...hope to see more folks stick around!!

Flashaholic*

Could it be "forum disease"?

After people have been on a forum for awhile, somebody gets into an argument with somebody else, namecalling begins, everybody gets mad and stomps away in disgust, leaving the newbies wondering what just went on. I've seen it in every forum I've been on.

Of course people DO get tired of talking about lights and decide to go somewhere to talk about bikes or knives or watches or whatever...
    Pel. M6 LED, SL TL-2 LED, TL-3 Xenon, Scorpion, Inova X5, SharperImage Luxeon, Gerber Infinity, Petzl Tikka, 2C Mag 3x123 KPR112, 2D Mag 7xAA KPR118, Nuwai QIII, TM115, TM311, 3rd_shift Luxeon 3C Magmod, Solitaire Luxeon, MiniMag MJLED,Mag85, MagLed 2D.

There was a story about CPF Member No.1
    It was no assigned for a long time.

As for stomping away of the oldtimers:

Why didn't they tell me?!
    I can stomp!!

Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 12345678912 ... LastLast