Really small Luxeon torch (pix!)

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Luxeon 1W emitter:
pict4014medium4zd.jpg

Simple resistor. L-shaped aluminum conducts heat from the Luxeon to the plastic case. Thermal grease between aluminum and Luxeon:
pict4013medium6zh.jpg

Lens made from a 10mm LED to focus it a bit. Clip attaches to my holster so it's always with me. Small size makes it completely unobtrusive:
luxtorch38sq.jpg

Plugs into the charger port (which is also DC out) of an Ericsson:
pict4016medium9cn.jpg

Last edited:

MillerMods

Flashlight Enthusiast
Neat idea. It looks like it didn't focus the beam as much as I would expect it to. How much current does it draw? Does it get hot?

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry about the 4th picture, that was WITHOUT the lens.

Here's a beamshot compared to a really cheap 2AA:

pict4046medium5ec.jpg

I'm not sure about the current but it's a 10ohm resistor. It gets a bit warm.

I'm planning to improve the thermal dissipation by using an aluminum case instead of the plastic case. I could then put a lower value resistor...

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool idea. Like MillerMods, I'd be interested to know how much current it drew from the phone battery. Also, I don't know if this usage bypasses the Li-Ion battery protection on the phone in which case you could risk overdischarging your expensive phone battery with this light.

If protection was retained, this would be a very nice usage indeed. Also a 5mm version with longer run time would be very nice.

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
nerdgineer said:
Cool idea. Like MillerMods, I'd be interested to know how much current it drew from the phone battery. Also, I don't know if this usage bypasses the Li-Ion battery protection on the phone in which case you could risk overdischarging your expensive phone battery with this light.

If protection was retained, this would be a very nice usage indeed. Also a 5mm version with longer run time would be very nice.

Protection is retained, and I've upgraded the phone battery to 1000mAh (up from 700).