What do you think of this cheap light?

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
sf3wboxa6pw.jpg

Has anyone gotten these?

Are they really 3W?

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I stay away from the MXDLs myself but keep in mind, there are three body versions of the MXDL light.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
A 3 watt MXDL clone? Or did they roll the torch over so the word MXDL is hidden? Or a factory reject MXDL is ashamed to put their name on?

3W Luxeon LED - I thought ebay clamped down on the use of the word Luxeon when they are not made by Lumileds. A real LuxIII emitter costs $15 at LEDsupply. Probably a 3 watt but I doubt it's a real Luxeon.

3AAA batteries last for about 50 hours - 3 watt leds pull 700mA. AAA batteries run 600-900mA. Runtime at full brightness should be in the 1-2 hour range. Maybe the led still glows at 50 hours.

It's waterproof ! (note: it's not water-resistant) - I do not understand this claim.

With at least 3 description boo boos on a casual read, I'd say buy at your own risk.

Main problem with cheap lights is lack of quality control not brightness. (3AAA should drive the led properly - I only worry about brightness on 1 or 2 cell lights)
The light may arrive DOA.
The light may die or act up shortly after arrival.
THe light has no problems.

You take your chances.

Learjet

Enlightened
Heh, looks like I'm the only person on this site that likes MXDL "Luxeons". :nana:

Although my Police version has the switch on the side. Some tail cap clickies have been known to give trouble causing the light to flicker. I have a 12 LED that does that, but you might be Ok. Lucky dip.

Anyway back to the clone Luxeon, the 3W I have is dimmer than my 1W Dorcy 3D and draws about 390mah. Runs for about 2 hours near full brightness and usuable to about 5 hours total on 900mah nimh cells. The run time claims are rubbish. The wattage probably is too. But, I still like it cos it's small, still relatively bright, has a nice tint, good throw and smooth beam.

It's not a Ferrari but it's a nice little light and worth the $ IMO. You can do better but it will cost more $.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
yeah... I agree with Cratz2, stay away from MXDL.

-David