fundamental newbie question

GWC3

Newly Enlightened
First, after lurking several weeks and reading for hours I have to compliment everyone on a great site - I had to join. I found this site after hearing about it at other forums especially ones talking about lessons learned from Katrina on preparedness - light source being 1 obvious topic. Let me ask my question, and this comes after reading about the "incident" Ry3 had with cr123's. I've read the whole thread and links to other manufacturer info etc. Question:
Do you , or would you, keep a 2 cell 123 powered torch by or in nightstand for checking the bump in the night? A torch that has the obvious power to temporarily blind a person (ie, SF D2, brinkman maxfire XL, Scorpion etc). And I ask this knowing and applying all of the safety tips that eminated from the incident thread. So, what do you keep on the nightstand (LED or Incan)? thanks

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
For serious bumps in the night, I keep a Streamlight TL-3 incandescent by my bed. A two cell would do as well.

For late night peeing trips (I'm old), I keep an Infinity Ultra, and a two stage switch Nuwai TM 115.

Works for me.

MacTech

Enlightened
Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Earth, USA, New England
for normal, mundane stuff, like trips to the ...."reading room", an Inova X1, just the right amount of light, not too bright, not too dim

for minor "bumps in the night", i.e. the cats knocking something over or the dog tromping around and growling at individual air molecules (she's a sweet dog, just not the brightest dog out there....), either a SureFire G2 or 6P, depends on which one's closer at hand

for large "bumps in the night", i.e. the coydog howling out in the field, or confronting a potential intruder, either the Mag 6D, or the 6P and Taurus 689 .357 Magnum revolver (i leave one chamber empty for safety purpose/target identification) using the Rogers/SureFire grip

truth be told, i have yet to need to use the Rogers/SureFire/.357 combo, i've exclusively been using the 6D

GWC3

Newly Enlightened
so neither 1 of you is overly concerned with keeping 2 or 3 cell 123 torches loaded indefinitely. Would this also apply to keeing 1 in your car? I was going to put an inova T2 in my wifes glove box for example (and keep 1 in my car, along with another higher intesity light - but also powered by 2 x 123's). Reason for wanting 123 powered lights in the cars is battery survival in the cold Michigan months. thanks for the replies btw. (and why T2's - it fits in glove box, easy to use, good light performance, and 5 hours of steady performance).

Luxman

Enlightened
For outside a SF D3 with a SRTH Turbohead or MAG 85 depending on the area I want to light up.

For large bumps inside, a SF Centurion.

For minor bumps inside, an HDS Ultimate 60 or SF U2.

Rocka89

Newly Enlightened
MacTech said:
for large "bumps in the night", i.e. the coydog howling out in the field, or confronting a potential intruder, either the Mag 6D, or the 6P and Taurus 689 .357 Magnum revolver (i leave one chamber empty for safety purpose/target identification) using the Rogers/SureFire grip

truth be told, i have yet to need to use the Rogers/SureFire/.357 combo, i've exclusively been using the 6D

lol I like that a 6d maglight. I think I would use as more of a bat in a fight :touche: with an intruder but if not you could just bust out the revolver :xyxgun: (yes i know thats a ak and not a revolver but you get the point.)