5x more spam is getting thru.. but spam traffic is down by 50%

cy

Flashaholic
Sure seems like more spam is getting thru.... but my total spam traffic is down by 50%

since using Thunderbird with it's intelligent baylean filter that learns as you go.
Spam that gets thru to my inbox used to be aprox. 1-2 per day out of aprox. 100+ pieces of spam per day or 2% getting thru.

current trend for me anyways is: spam count has reduced to 50+ per day with 5-6 getting thru. that's aprox 10% cleaverly written spams to get thru baylean filters.

naturally those get tagged as spam and never gets thru again. but spammer simply write new spam that gets around filters.
at least my spam traffic has reduced in half.

Last edited:

vontech

Newly Enlightened
You might want to try what I did a year ago: I set up a Google GMAIL account (Free, by invitation), and I simply had my ISP forward a DUPLICATE copy to Gmail.

Now, a year later, I get virtually NO SPAM (actually about 4 messages a week), all of which GMAIL flags as SPAM and puts in a separate folder. They've recently added full virus protection also.

And for anyone who has used it, IMHO it is by FAR the easiest, quickest mailer I have ever used (including Thunderbird, which I used for 3 years).

I can send an invitation for Gmail to anyone who is interested, or simply visit the Gmail thread here on CPF to get one.

Tom

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to get about three pages of spam per day in my bulk box (yahoo), but a few weeks ago, I thought I'd try unsubscibing to a few of them. It seems to work. Within a week I could actually see three days of spam all on the same page.

cy

Flashaholic
vontech, no way I'm ever using an email adress some one else has control over again. own your own domain and control your own email adress permenantly.

trashman, that's an interesting tactic. have never thought of unscribing would work. always thought unscribing would only validation adress as working and bring more spam.

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oftentimes unsubscribing will only bring more spam. If you are getting e-mails from legit companies that you signed up for (way back when), then unsubscribing may halt those.

loalight

Enlightened
I agree with cy, and prefer to run my own server and host my own mail. I've been doing this for years, and maintain many email accounts, with the unfortunate result that I get about 600 spam per day. To combat this, I use the best anti-spam software out there: DSPAM (http://dspam.nuclearelephant.com). It identifies my spam with >99% accuracy. Only a solution for the technically minded, though.

dim

Enlightened
I'm spammed about 200 time per day!! Really. I first get/manage my email via the web to delete the spam that the spam filter, set to medium security, doesn't kill before downloading my email to my local client.

dim

gregw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I subscribe to a mailbox over at Spamcop and have reduced my spam to less than 1 or 2 every week or so. :) Without filters, I would be getting between 70 to 150 spam emails per day as I have contact email addresses listed on the domain registrars.

jhereg

Enlightened
At work we are running about 95% of the messages from the outside world (About 5K per day) are spam/virus emails. It's rare that any of them get through, and that's normally because it's from a domain we have had to whitelist. We need to amend the constitution to make cruel & unusual punishment legal for spammers, and then declare them in season year round with no bag limits. Can you tell I hate spammers? :mad:

Kryosphinx

Enlightened
I have an old Gmail account that got spammed, so I made another one, but I never give away. I set the old account to forward to the new account, and Gmail only forwards legit stuff, so the new account only gets good stuff. The only bad thing is if Gmail doesn't know it's spam, and it gets sent to me anyway. :p

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a number of accounts, some specifically for giving to sites which "might" be a source of spam. Very few actually have my correct email adr.

I agree with owning your own domain - it helps a lot.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
I get 2-3/day and usually with totally wierd subject lines and carying attachments. On occasion, they have frozen my box while using Outlook Exp. I now check my ISP mail from their site, and "report" them as spam. Hopefully, my ISP has an intellegent filter!

Larry

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Up to a few days ago, my EarthLink and Comcast accounts did an OK job of stopping my spam--and Thunderbird usually got the few that slipped through (new styles required a time or two of training to catch them).

This new set of spam is getting trough both ISP's basic spam filters (they are hardly slowing it down)--and it has been pretty successful at getting by Thunderbird. Mostly random words on the subject line with an image file of the ad. They seem to be changing the spam format every few days (usually the same three or so ads over and over and over).

Luckily, I get a hand full or two a day of spam.

-Bill

cy

Flashaholic
spoke too soon... back up to 200+ spam per day again :green:

fasuto

Enlightened
Here i use a FREE program: POPfile.
Not only put away spam, it classifie mail (spam, personal, work, alerts....)
Last year in my system:
Accuracy: 99.37% (i have 10 (ten) different buckets)
Messages classified: 35,760
Spam: 52.10% 18,631 messages

http://popfile.sourceforge.net/

Anyway if any wants gmail i can give you a invitation or a pop based address in my server ;-)

Last edited: