Ever want to just give up?

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sometimes I start looking at lights and end up suffering from "overload".

Sometimes, especially of late I start thinking I have too many lights (heretic!!). Want to get rid of them all and start over. Thin the herd so to speak.

Maybe I'm just starting to get a different mindset about personal light useage.
I see lights and start wanting to get one, but have trouble trying to justify buying.

Face it, there are just too many lights out there tempting me.

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not about "flashlights". It's a hobby. It's like stamp collecting or model figurines or plates or whatever. It doesn't have to be useful, it just happens that our hobby CAN be useful as well :)

PS if you want to sell anything please PM me first :)

VWTim

Enlightened
I've found myself going thru phases in my lights. I'll build a few, get a bunch of misc lights. Then my interst will peter out a bit. I then sell the ones I have no actual use for, and just bought cause they were cool, but I already have an equally usefull light for that task that I do use. I then go on to another of my many hobbies. Eventually I come back and get into it again.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
It has been a very good hobby for me. There are times when I felt that perhaps I was going too far but then eventually something very weird happens and I'm really glad I have my lights -- ALL my lights. It's a great hobby for a species that is so helpless in the dark. :D

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
[babblemodeon]

When I start feeling "overloaded/overwhelmed" with the torches...I start looking at what needs to go. Build up the funds to lay into something else that's coming along.

Recently I sold off a few Surefires (is it possible to have too many?), and some others that weren't being utilized.

I like to get back "some of my investment", but at the same time I enjoy trying to give someone a good deal. (I hope my prices constitute "good deals"!) Postage & PayPal fees take their bite, but it's the price of the hobby I guess...

I'm recycling funds now to buy a Gatlight, a light that I'd normally not buy - as it is indeed intended to be a "shelf queen" to be displayed, handled, and appreciated - NOT an EDC for me!! It's indeed a piece of art, as are many of McGizmo's creations - difference being that I actually use some of Don's lights and so far "THEY TAKE THE BEATING"!! You would see me using my McLux as well (around the house) - but it doesn't get taken outside (yet!).

[babblemodeoff]

falconz

Newly Enlightened
Yeah esp when ppl start giving you the weird look when u tell them u collect flashlights....
actually the more they do that the more I am incline to continue!!

It`s just the $$$ part that`ll pressure abit. But by selling and recycling the lights(even though it`s a diminishing return deal) it didn`t become a big problem. But the recent scam by one of the CPF members did leave a $200 hole in my recycling scheme. This almost made me gave up the hobbie... :(

greenLED

Flashaholic
I decided early on that just accumulating lights wasn't rewarding. Modding is much more fun, so now I have just a few "essentials" (define essentials... ;) ) and play around with parts every chance I get. Most are failed experiments, and it takes a long time to nail one light "just right", but it's better than having a bunch'a shelf queens. At least that's how I feel.

mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sigman said:
[babblemodeon]

I'm recycling funds now to buy a Gatlight, a light that I'd normally not buy - as it is indeed intended to be a "shelf queen" to be displayed, handled, and appreciated - NOT an EDC for me!! It's indeed a piece of art, as are many of McGizmo's creations - difference being that I actually use some of Don's lights and so far "THEY TAKE THE BEATING"!! You would see me using my McLux as well (around the house) - but it doesn't get taken outside (yet!).

[babblemodeoff]
Sigman - well ShelfQueen is what I thought first as well - but I started carrying my Titanium one around every day now (also because everyone wants to see it). It works well for EDC'ing... when it gets a bit dusty or dirty in between the rods, I remove battery, driver and silicone seals and run it through the dish washer.... and its sparkling clean again... :naughty: I even ran it through the dishwasher with battery, seals and driver in (worked fine) - however I don't know the longterm effects (also water has to be less than 80C or the battery can't take it) :naughty::naughty:

Last edited: