TLE-5 VS. LPR-2

randyo

Enlightened
I have a Terralux TLE-5 Ministar 2 high-dome Luxeon recent issue, rated at "42-50" lumens by Led-Replacement.com, installed in a Mini-mag with fresh Alkaline batteries.
I compared it to a Tektite LPR-2, rated at "25 lumens" by Led-Replacement.com, installed in a 2D Maglite with fresh Alkaline batteries.
The Tektite in the 2D Mag body BLOWS AWAY the Terralux in Mini-Mag body. It has FAR greater throw, and although I am only measuring with my eyeballs throwing beams around at night, it has greater overall output as well. The only advantage I can see with the TLE-5 Ministar 2 is in the beam smoothness. Can the difference in reflector size have that much of an impact on throw? Perhaps it's the design "match-up" putting a 1 watt Luxeon side-emitter into a large reflector that makes it so much better? I wouldn't think that the batteries would matter in that both are being tested with very fresh batts.
Being fairly new to the flash-a-holic disease, I guess I'm discovering that like cars – raw horsepower isn't everything.

markbUK

Newly Enlightened
Hmm ... I havan't got the Tektite to compare with, but have been able to use a Terralux TLE-5 in a 2d mag with a PR base adaptor, and be able to compare it with a Terralux TLE-5 in a mini mag at the same time. the difference is remarkable, not quite a pencil beam but close. I think what you are seeing is a function of the 2d's reflector not output.

Mark

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, as long as the bulb/LED was halfway decent, comparing the throw of the stock minimag reflector to the stock Mag C/D reflector... there is just no comparison. I mean, the Mag C/D is one of our best throwing reflectors, even if it is filled with artifacts. The Minimag is actually a rather sad little reflector.

randyo

Enlightened
Sounds like it's time for another experiment. I need to buy an adapter so I can put the LPR-2 into the 2D Mag. The experiment will be more valid. Both the TLE-5 and the LPR-2 are quality 1 watt Luxeons. The only comparison will then become the High-dome Vs. The Side-Emitter. I think I already know how it will turn out, but it's worth the $4.95 + shipping to see it.