Rambus Anyone?

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can any computer wizzards here recommend a reasonably priced source of RDRAM (non ecc) memory for my early P4 Dell? I've got two open slots to supplement the 64k pair already in there. I'd even take used sticks.

Thank you.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
paulr said:
Try crucial.com.
I've bought quite a bit of memory from Crucial and have never been dissapointed. If you go with the generic memory venders you need to have a test bench setup or it's only a matter of time before you get stung.

turbodog

Flashaholic
Rambus = ouch !!!

I've used kingston rambus before. No problems found.

If the timing of the chips is different that what you have, you may HAVE to remove the original modules.

Flotsam

Newly Enlightened
Crucial doesn't stock RAMBUS memory.

I'm not a real fan of ebay, but that's where I got my extra RDRAM - at about 1/3 the cost of other places (512k for less than $150).

Good luck - you may just want to get a new motherboard & pc3200 sdram - it might actually be cheaper, and the newer sdram is faster.

Sam

freeze12

Enlightened
Must be a Dell Dimension 8200 like I am running -W- 768mb ram
I have one stick 256mb 600mhz rambus here ecc, but I think it is from an older Dell...Samsung MR 18R082GAN 1-CG6

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, guys. Freeze, mine is a year older - #8100. I need a pair and you have one (not a pair = 256) stick at 256?

Gessner, PM back to ya.

freeze12

Enlightened
jayflash said:
Thanks, guys. Freeze, mine is a year older - #8100. I need a pair and you have one (not a pair = 256) stick at 256?

Gessner, PM back to ya.
Yes..I only have one stick on 256mb ram

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flotsam said:
Good luck - you may just want to get a new motherboard & pc3200 sdram - it might actually be cheaper, and the newer sdram is faster.

Sam

Problem with that though. It's an older Dell. He'd also have to replace the powersupply since Dell used some proprietary connections that were physically the same as standard. Replace just one or the other and you end up with a fried MB.

freeze12

Enlightened
Unicorn said:
Problem with that though. It's an older Dell. He'd also have to replace the powersupply since Dell used some proprietary connections that were physically the same as standard. Replace just one or the other and you end up with a fried MB.
He can put in a ...What I call-deadstick- it is a stick that goes into the empty slots...some kind of jumper as My Dell had them in it until I added more rambus

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Huh? I was tallking about replacing the motherboard. To do so in Dell's you also need to replace the powersupply. The older ones at least were wired differently than the standard ATX.

gessner17

Enlightened
Dells cases are proprietary so standard boards will not fit in most cases. In most cases, name brand computers from large companies are all the same, propietary power supplies, and cooling systems. Most use a dual purpose fan that pulls air in through the PSU and cools the cpu when it comes through the other side, standard PSU would not fit and neither would a new board (unless it's dell of course). It wouldn't be cost effective anyway. I think the part that you are talking about that takes up the empty spaces is called a continuity RIMM. They are required if you have empty spaces. The board will not recognize the ram otherwise. I have a lot of experience with boards that use rambus, honestly, that technology did not take off, I'm not saying it wasn't good, I ran my setup for a long time and it was the best one so far, but the fastest cpu you can run with an older p4 that takes rambus would be 2.0ghz. If you have a bored that supports the newer style socket 478 (old was socket 423) you can run up to 3.06mhz with RAMBUS, but with only a 533mhz front side bus, that is max. The chipset is also limiting as it does not support USB 2, you have to get an external card. It is just old technology and the parts are expensive because 1, not many companies made it and 2 there wasn't a huge demand for it so it is less common. Ok, end of rant, thought you guys might want some additional info on this subject.

mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast
all I remember from Rambus that the stuff is really expensive. How much of a performance difference was achieved back in the days when they were new? (on a benchmark level). What processor would eliminate the advantage achieved with Rambus?

gessner17

Enlightened
Back in the day, Rambus had a larger "pipeline" than available memory, it was serial and not parallel (which I believe was the reason for the terminators or continuity rimms). The processor wasn't what needed the Rambus, it was the chipset. The chipset was optimized to get maximum throughput from the cpu to the RAM, memory back in the day was slow, rambus was far faster than the current technology that was available. People didn't want to pay the money for Rambus, so intel brouht the 845 that supported P4 cpus but it was dog slow, then they revised the 845 to support DDR, which was still kind of slow but better. Rambus ran at either 400mhz FSB or 533mhz FSB, SDRAM ran at 133mhz, and DDR at I believe 266mhz, remember this was the 1st gen stuff, now there are a ton of new chipsets out there. They only made one chipset, well, kinda, I850 and I850E (socket 478) that supported Rambus. Ok, I guess they also made the I840 but it was for PIII's and rambus, but slower, PC600, PC700 Rambus. There was also one other revision to the 850E that supported the screaming PC1066 Rambus, which, let me tell you, still beats current computers with a 3.06mhz hyperthreading CPU. I ran my system for 4 years, I had it maxed out with a socket 423 2.0ghz (hard to find and super rare) with 1GB of ECC pc800 Rambus, It was as stable as anything, I never had freeze ups, it ran noticeably faster than any friends of mine that had faster cpu's with DDR ram. But alas, like any technology, its outdated, I now have ECC DDR400 with a 3.4 prescott (1MB cache) which runs fast, but is not as stable as my Rambus machine. I like to think of Rambus as memory built for speed while DDR is just overclocked SDRAM, I know it is much better than it used to be. That was my little conspirecy theory at least.

Last edited: