Use of male and female threads

Dogliness

Enlightened
I noticed that some of my flashlights have male threads on the head to screw into the body, and others have the male threads on the body. That can be true even within the same brand, such as in the surefire lights that I have

Is there is any particular reason to use male threads on the head or the body?

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Probably at least a couple of factors.

It is probably easier to machine threads on the outside of the longer body piece.
Also if the threads are inside the body tube, wouldn't the body have to be somewhat bigger in diameter to accommodate the mating piece?
All of my SF's have external (male) threads on both ends of the body tube. Which ones are different?

Mark

Dogliness

Enlightened
Of the three Surefire flashlights that I have, the U2 has the the external (male) threads on the head, and the L1 and L4 have the external threads on the body. The U2 has the largest head. They all have the external threads on the body where the body meets the tail.

Dogliness

Enlightened
As another example, the Peak CPF Special has the external threads on the head, while the AmLite Neo T3 has the external threads on the body. Both of those flashlights are fairly small, and neither has a tail that screws off. The AmLite Neo T3 is about 20% shorter but the head looks larger, in part because the external threads on are the body.