Laptop w/a smashed screen?

Schuey2002

Enlightened
My brother-n-law recently gave me one of his laptops the other day to play with. Since he had no idea of how to fix it, he said that I could have it. Like I know what I am doing when it comes to computers?! *smirk*

While the computer boots up just fine, the problem is that the screen is totally shot. One of his kids "accidently" dropped it onto the floor, and then "accidently" stomped on the screen a few times to finish it off. The screen has a large crack on it which has turned into a giant black blob, rendering the whole screen useless.. :ohgeez:

And now to the reason that I started this thread. Can someone tell me how hard is it to replace the screen on a laptop computer? Is it something that I can do myself, or do I need to take it to a shop? And finally, is it even worth fixing, or should I just chuck the whole thing into the garbage?

(Just so you know. It's a HP Pavilion zt1000.)

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
What he said. The price for a new LCD is quite expensive for the replacement.

Did his kids get a :dedhorse: for the smashing? :laughing:

Schuey2002

Enlightened
No, his kid didn't get squat for what he did. Not unless you call a "20 minute timeout" punishment... :shrug:

Well, it's starting to look like I'm going to need an run it with an external monitor. Perhaps I should run by the local computer shops and see if they have anything laying around that I can use. :sssh:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
It's not too hard to replace it as long as you can afford the parts. I'd suggest searching Ebay for laptop screens - there are plenty of dead laptops out there that are being sold for parts, where something other than the screen failed.

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mmh... too bad the screen itself was shot.
If it were just the backlight, I've heard it's possible to repair it for pretty cheap by replacing the tube and inverter yourself.

Navck

Enlightened
As long as the entire top assembly isn't destroyed its fine. (As in the back side plastic/steel/whatever they use on your model) You can find a LCD replacement. I've seen people sell IBM T4x series LCDs that go to 1400x1050 with flexview for 200 dollars...

Schuey2002

Enlightened
Since I'm just going to use it as a backup computer around the house (and not move it anywhere), I think going to go the cheap route and find an external monitor for it. :wave:

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've seen some LCD replacements brand new go for 60 on ebay. Maybe you can find a desktop 15" LCD and make a nice terminal out of it.

JanCPF

Enlightened
Schuey2002 said:
Since I'm just going to use it as a backup computer around the house (and not move it anywhere), I think going to go the cheap route and find an external monitor for it. :wave:
Or just use it with 'Remote Desktop' if you've got XP pro on it, and forget about the monitor all together.

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
Beating a dead horse, but hook it up to an external monitor.

After getting used to a 17 inch LCD monitor, I had a hard time going back to the 15 inch CRT or even the 15 inch LCD monitor, then I bought my current 19 inch LCD monitor and anything smaller is horrible for me. I am used to seeing a big screen now and tried out a 12.1 inch laptop over the weekend and basically couldn't use it. It hurt my eyes to adjust to such a small screen and deal with all the scrolling. I run my 19 inch monitor at 1280X1024 pixels.

I purchased a 19 inch Samsung 914V LCD monitor at Staples on Black Friday for ~$220 after rebates and taxes.

Jason

Arkayne

Enlightened
If nothing comes up on ebay or any online part shop then just use an external monitor. That or make some fast cash on craigslist.com!

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could always use it with an external monitor...:D

(Seriously, how many times do we need to state that? Would anyone else like to tell him to use it with an external monitor? :) )

JM-99

Last edited:

Schuey2002

Enlightened
Hey, you know what? Maybe I should go with an external monitor? Hmmmmm..

:p :dedhorse: :p

:laughing:

On a more serious note. I just got off the phone with my Mom. She told me about one of her "computer geek" clients who has a used Sony Trinitron 17" monitor that he is willing to give her for almost next to nothing.. Guess who is going to get it? :buddies:

greenLED

Flashaholic
Jumpmaster said:
Would anyone else like to tell him to use it with an external monitor? :)

Why don't you hook it up to an external monitor?
:laughing:

All CRT's (14" and above) are usually $40 at the State Surplus 'round here.