I am simply astounded.....

mousezilla

Newly Enlightened
I had no idea of the shear number of different high $$$ light systems available!
I hesitate to call them flashlights because some of them are so much more, I found one on E-bay (Arc something or other) that is user programable to different modes. I never dreamed that anything like this existed much less for around $100.00. Not to mention the $3000.00 Beast from Surefire, simply amazing.

I'm curious about how some of you got started modifing your own lights?
Was this something that you just stumbled on or did you want something bigger and brighter than the next guy so you started cutting and soldering, were you bored on some winter night and thought "I wonder what would happen if I chuck this up in my trusty lathe and open it up so I can cram some bigger batteries in it?" :huh2:

I'm really curious about how this got started?
I'm a weapons guy myself and have always been interested in weapon mounted lights and now with the talk of all of these different mods you guys got me thinking.:thinking: I'm starting to feel a little like Dr. Frankenstein..... "now if I cut this here and weld this there and hammer this over there and force these in here.... It's ALIVE!!!!!

Well not quite but it does make me think! :devil:
So how did you get started in this?
Mouse

Flakey

Enlightened
I found this damn forum.

i wanted my ginormus 6d maglite to be as bright as it was big.

i dont know .. somthing about holding the sun in the palm of your hand is just damn cool. few people need cars with 500 horsepower but alot of them are out there. same thing with 500 lumen lights i suppose.

oh god what did that one guy say .... was it .... "let there be light" ?

Arkayne

Enlightened
I'm astounded at 56 views to this thread and no replies yet! :)

I got over my fear of working with electronics when I was a kid putting together remote control cars. I've been hacking away material with my dremel and soldering countless connections ever since. Since then, I've no fear disecting electronics to see how these things tick.

I was introduced to this site 2 weeks ago and have been fascinated at the technology behind battery powered lights. Now, I've been taking a critical look at all of my bike lights and am forming a plan of attack. I've 3 different LED lights that are dying for an upgrade.

Welcome to CPF! I've learned so much in 2 weeks and I'm almost certain you will too.

NotEnoughLight

Enlightened
mousezilla said:
I'm starting to feel a little like Dr. Frankenstein..... "now if I cut this here and weld this there and hammer this over there and force these in here.... It's ALIVE!!!!!

Mouse

Well the joy in getting something to work is definitely there. Esp when the end result is much better then you originally expected it to be. I guess the process of the mod as well as the results are all that makes me wanna continue with modding.

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast
How did this get started?

Just like you. I stumbled onto LED flashlights in ebay searches I performed a year ago for truck accessory lighting outfitting my dually with many, many LED lights.

That little stumble led me here to the CPF, and has resulted in many, many flashlights.

Mouse, I do believe you already have the flashlight gene - your interest in weapons indicates your appreciation for quality tools and precision instruments.

And easy modifications can be as simple as a brighter bulb to a building a light that can do many, many things (more than I need, but that doesn't stop me) by replacing the light engine. Modders here can custom engineer and build lights far beyond my abilities (several orders of magnitude), but within my means I have fun and you will too.

And if you are a handyman, prone to tinkering, and often find yourself asking "What if?", then you already have the modding gene in you as well.

The ARC 4 you saw on ebay is a fine light, but very soon you'll be able to buy a light from here that plugs into you computer, and you can program every single detail, sequence, and situation of operation from your PC - the Indium Smart. And it's much, much, much cheaper than the Beast.

Wouldn't you like to have a light so nice that your weapon is its accessory?

Hang on, you're in for a ride.