Surefire 10X Dominator...

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Hi everyone, kind of a newbie here...

I was curious.. do any of you use/own/covet the Surefire 10X Dominator?? I want one BAD, but the price is a little daunting.
I'll part with the cash after enough info-gathering, however
wink.gif

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got a pair of them on order but have not actually laid hands on one.

You can search the forum there has been discussion of them here in the past.

There is also some recent 10X discussion on the Surefire forum which you can find here under the "rechargable" forum (although you have to register to read it):
http://discuss.surefire.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi

A short summary is probably this:

- Rechargable.
- 3 hrs on 60 lumen lamp, 20 mins on 500+.
- You can replace the 60 lu lamp with a
100+ (120?) lu lamp.
- Lexan lens. Can melt if left on high
~5 mins.
- More "flood" than any other Surefire,
including the M6.
- Not waterproof or shock isolated like the
M6. Water resistant I assume.
- They had problems with the bulbs from the
supplier. It sounds like they got this
fixed but there is a serious backlog.- Everyone who has one seems to be very
impressed with the volume and quality of
light. The only bad things I've heard
is the issues regarding melting the lens
with the high beam.
- Decent prices is probably $250 (reference
AGR).
Conclusions:

Three hours at 60 lumens is a long time for a decently bright light.
There are not many other lights that will net you 500 lumens and have a semi reasonable size /cost, etc.

Rechargable is handy when you can suck a battery in 20 mins.

It would be almost the perfect light if they had used a pyrex lens and delt with the cooling issues as well as used a shock isolated/waterproof lamp.

Alternatives:

- Surefire M6.
Pros: Durable, Waterproof, Li Batteries
two lamps to choose from, compact.
Cons: Li Batteries, only one lamp at
a time.
- UK LC 100.
Pros: Long runtime. Constant on.
Inexpensive. Uses cheap batteries.
Cons: Not durable. Not rechargable.-john

Size15's

Flashaholic
I've got one.

It's fantastic. It's the brightest flashlight I have. SureFire claims that's it's the Most Powerful Flashlight in the Universe.

Now I consider a flashlight a light you hold by the body rather then a handle or grip. I believe I have read about one HID flashlight, but no-one has it as far as I know...
Of course you can take "powerful" to mean many things, not just light output.

Al

YeeDude

Newly Enlightened
Reflex: Where did you read/hear that SureFire is going to start putting Pyrex lenses on their newer Dominators? I ask because I've heard time and again from them that they're going to stick with the current Lexan spec.

Maybe all these stories of lens meltings got them to change their mind?

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Reflex:
John N, the new Dominators will ship with a Pyrex lens. The shock isolation and cooling issue doesn't appear to have been addressed yet, though. One out of three down!!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Reflex, where did you hear from that new 10X will have Pyrex? Don't get confused by users wishes:)

By the way, if they *really* have a Pyrex version, the heat issue might not be a concern anymore.

Alan

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Reflex:
BTW, Size15s...

I remember seeing that HID 'handheld' light in an earlier forum. It costs like 5000.00!! Talk about ridiculous. If it ran for ten years at 3000 lumens, I might consider it
smile.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Where did you hear about a $5,000.00 HID handheld? Mine cost only $155, and puts out a respectable 450 lumens of blue-white light.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Alan, I must apologize...

The information I recieved on the Surefire discussion board was mainly speculation. The Dominator will ship with a Lexan lens.

I originally referenced this article: http://www.equipped.org/shot_show_2001.htm

Too bad they weren't correct!!
tongue.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>"The 10X uses two separate, but integrated reflectors for maximum beam control. A tempered Pyrex lens prevents meltdown." <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the info, guys...
Now I'm gonna have to get one
grin.gif

Does anybody have a size reference for this light, say vs. a Lightwave 4000? I realize these are totally different lights, but I have a 4K, and it would indicate how big the Dominator is.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

BTW, Size15s...

I remember seeing that HID 'handheld' light in an earlier forum. It costs like 5000.00!! Talk about ridiculous. If it ran for ten years at 3000 lumens, I might consider it
smile.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

John N, the new Dominators will ship with a Pyrex lens. The shock isolation and cooling issue doesn't appear to have been addressed yet, though. One out of three down!!

Now I just have to wait for Surefire to build a forend light for my Benelli M3..
mad.gif
How does a company like Surefire overlook such an obviously LEO-designed Benelli?

Size15's

Flashaholic
I do not consider a light that requires the use of a grip or handle to be a flashlight.

For me, a flashlight is something you hold by the body.

Therefore, I do not consider the LC100 a flashlight. I call it a Lantern or Searchlight.

I would love to compare the 10X to the NightHunterII.

HID is not for flashing is it?

The MaxaBeam and PlasmaBeam can strobe I think... But they are not Flashlights.

Al

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alan, I must apologize...

The information I recieved on the Surefire discussion board was mainly speculation. The Dominator will ship with a Lexan lens.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No need to apologize whatsoever. You're victim as well:)

Rumors happens all the time especially in SF forum. 200 lumens X81 for 8NX is one hell of example. The small bezel and lexen lense could hardly stand the heat not to mention its weak 1800mah batteries.

I believe that SF did try hard to make pyrex on 10X but it's a big engineering challenge for irregular shaped bezel.

I do also wish SF would come up with pyrex version of 10X and I could have excuse to get one more:)

Alan