U2 Clicky Internals

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
You might want to send Litfuse a PM.

He has worked on both of them. He is the one that figured out how to fix the Z57. Surefire even gave him a couple of Z61's for finding the solution.
He fixed a U2 tailcap for me.

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
The guts are the same (or at least very similar) as the Z-57.

I am offering free fixes for either switch, just send me a PM. I would first suggest contacting SF about a replacement though. Often they will not request the defective switch be returned, so you will end up with a spare which can be repaired to work perfectly. :)

Peter

Luna

Enlightened
LitFuse said:
. Often they will not request the defective switch be returned, so you will end up with a spare which can be repaired to work perfectly. :)

Peter

My fixed one is sitting helplessly on a bored out 6P/2xA19 +Kt1+ MN21 :)

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
Peter,

Is there any chance you'll share your secrets so the brave among us can attempt the repair ourselves? Or would most of us likely only make it worse?

grnamin

Enlightened
As Peter stated above, the clickies are pretty much the same, internally. One is just the scaled down version of the larger model. I had a defected U2 clickie. I emailed Surefire about it. Took about 3 months to get a replacement. This was back in the beginning of 2005 still. When the replacement arrived, it turned out to be an HA III natural color, not black. :( I took out the guts and put them in the original defective black one. Worked fine after that.

Luna

Enlightened
Ty_Bower said:
Peter,

Is there any chance you'll share your secrets so the brave among us can attempt the repair ourselves? Or would most of us likely only make it worse?

The fix should be in the archive but I couldn't find a search the archive option anywhere. It is pretty simple.

onlinewarlord

Newly Enlightened
I just received my U2 this morning.

Within minutes I noticed the switch was fubar. Mine seems to get stuck in the ON position.

I immediately called Surefire. They told me a replacement tailcap would be sent to me no questions asked. Like stated above, there is no need to return the light to them. Good service on their part.

As for the rest of the light, I love it. To my eye the beam is bright and perfectly white. HA is matched very well across the body of the light also.

Overall, I'm very happy with the U2 so far.

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Outstanding work nekomane! :)

Howinthehell did you find those threads though? I can't get the search "function" to work worth a crap. Please enlighten me/us with your technique.

Thanks,

Peter

nekomane

Flashlight Enthusiast
As long as you know the person who started the thread, check his/her profile (in this case Litfuse with 3000+ posts) and click on 'Threads Started by User'.

If the user has under 500 posts, you can use 'Find Posts by User'.
The broken link in the first thread was found by searching Ratdog's profile (16 posts).

Glad this helped. I've mentioned this before but these threads helped me through my first mod and 'fixed my stiff clicky' :)