Anyone familiar with this LED replacement?

greenLED

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF!

Do you want lots of flood, or more of a brighter beam with greater "throw".

If the former, this drop-in *may* be for you, but I can't vouch for one of them since I've never seen one.

If the latter, I'd recommend you look into what everLED, a Luxeon-LED drop-in, has to offer. Really nice drop-ins, with the advantage that you can use them in lights anywhere from 1 to 6 cells.

Other Luxeon-based drop-ins are the Diamond brand, made by TerraLux.biz. Don't have much experience with those.

And I'm sure other people will be in shortly proclaiming the wonders of the O-sink and modding the Mags ;)

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
What greenLED said. If you notice this module dispenses with your Mag's reflector. Without either a decent reflector or some type of collimating optic, getting any really usable throw is very doubtful. It might have massive flood which can be OK if it suits your purposes.

I have equipped my 3D Mag with this TerraLux 3W replacement. It works well and retains the adjustable reflector.

Personally, I now think the best way to get a 3W or 5W LED is to buy an LED flashlight to begin with.

If you buy this module, which is fairly inexpensive, be sure to report back and let all of us know how it works out.

Welcome To CPF
Mark

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
The other comments are probably right on... but none of us have used this module. If the LEDs are in fact 7 degree, you might get a decent bit of throw out of it. But I'm sure it's still more of a flood light than a throw monster.

The EverLED is a versatile piece in that it can be run on 1-6 cells. Another even cheaper option is the PR base bulb that comes in the Craftsman 3xAAA Lux light from Sears. It costs about $20 and the bulb will work on 3C or 3D cells. I have one in a Maglite and though I prefer a more custom Mag mod, it is quite impressive considering how easy and cheap it is to put together.

BamZipPow

Newly Enlightened
Welcome to the forums! :D

With an additional shipping charge of $12 to $16 (total price over $30), yer better off getting the Craftsman light.

I have the 3watt drop in from Teralux and it works great. At least I can still "focus" with my Mag... ;)

not2bright

Enlightened
frym,

I do not have this replacement, but I see a possible problem with it.

How is the replacement held in to the Mag socket? It looks like there are simply "springs" that protrude from the base holding the unit in via friction. A good bump could work the bottom contact loose.

I have a DB-3W, and for $32 believe it was a shocking improvement to the 3D Mag. This unit screws on to the exterior threads of the Mag's bulb socket. This piece is also made from aluminum which helps with dissipating heat.

frym

Newly Enlightened
Thanks to all for the welcomes and the replys. I have decided not to get this led replacement. I am familiar with the EverLED and am using it in a Craftsman 2D water resistant flashlight with faceted reflector. I know the EverLED can be used in many flashlights, but I liked the idea of getting the most bang for the buck by using the EverLED in a 2D flashlight (as reported in Flashlightreviews.com).

I have the Craftsman 3xAAA Lux light from Sears and find it a nice light for the drawer so I don't want to part it out.

The TerraLux 3W replacement certainly does tempt.

Vikas Sontakke

Enlightened
frym said:

I took 3 5mm LEDs, clear vinyl tubing piece and tiny heat-shrink
tube. Put the heat-shrink tubing on the combined +lead
of the LED. The clear tubing had ID of the PR-base bulb
All the -ve leads were outside the clear tube. I had to
snip the LED ends just a bit but I was able to shove this
contraption in place of the bulb on the Mag3D.

I had to do NO soldering and the LED remained unmutilated.

Those Nichia group buys are really something! The 3-LED
bunched together gives nice output.

HOWEVER, once I put the reflector on, it was all downhill
from there. The beam was a complete mess! Since those 3-LED
were not exactly parallel to each other, their beams were
crossing and hitting the refelctor at weird angle.

Moral:- One really needs side-emitor or the high dome
Luxeon to use the Mag reflector.

- Vikas