• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired ALL SOLD: KL1/VG FB1

DaveT

Enlightened
Hi - Here are a couple lights I really never wanted to sell...but here I am.

I accept non-CC Paypal only. Prices include First Class USPS postage in the U.S. I can't be held responsible for lost packages.
First to post "I'll take it" gets first crack at any item. Please post or PM with any questions.

1. SOLD "Older" generation (2, 3? Not sure) KL1 head, modded by Milkyspit with an RX0J 1-watt LED. Reflector gives a beautifully centered hotspot with very nice sidespill. Linked with a Vital Gear FB1 tailcap. This is a great EDC light, and was my EDC for about 8 months (just fits in the watch pocket of jeans), and it shows some light wear and nicks along the sharp edges of the head.
$90 $85 $80
FINALLY $75

2. SOLD Firefly II, complete, with Madmax Lite RY0J sandwich and a Fraen optic.
I bought the sandwich used, and here's the full description from the original owner:
"The sammich came from the Shoppe with a scratched LED and some sort of red and green paint applied to the sides. I haven't asked Wayne about it, the scratch does not affect the beam or output at all."

So, there's a scratch you can see if you look at the LED, but the beam is sweet. Carried the light for less than a week, in watch pocket with nothing next to it.

Added bits include a 33-ohm two-stage switch (never installed) and a couple extra FFII O-rings.
$120 $110
NOW $100

Last edited:

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: PRICE DROP: KL1/VG FB1, FFII

On the modded KL1... were the electronics changed at all? Since we don't know if it was originally a Lux I or Lux III light, I think some of us might be interested if we had a bit more information on it such as can it be safely used with R123 cells?

Does it have the 4 'metal O-ring' looking head or the one with with 5 flat spots on the head?

DaveT

Enlightened
Re: PRICE DROP: KL1/VG FB1, FFII

Hi Cratz - thanks for the post.
First off, this KL1 head has the bezel with five small crescents in it, so you can see the light is on if it's head-down on a surface. It has the four O-ring design, and it's a hexagon where it screws into the battery tube.

As far as the electronics on this, I cannot tell you for 100% certain what it is. I PM'd milkyspit for the specific details, but he said he can't find his notes on this one and he's done a ton of KL1 mods (this was done in late November/early December of 2004). I lost his rundown on the specs when I had to purge my PMs with the new CPF board software, but here's my best guess: I believe that the original KL1 head used a 1-watt LED, and I think it was just a direct replacement of the stock LED for the RX0J that I purchased and sent to milkyspit. I don't think he messed with the electronics in any way, and in his PM he gave me his best guesstimate of runtimes with 1, 2 and 3xCR123 batteries (at the time I was using a UBH and Z57 on it). So, the electronics allow for 3x123, and the runtime he was guesstimating for that configuration was 4ish hours (I apologize, I don't recall better than that).

The KL1 head is standard gray HAIII, while the VG body has a more brown tone to its HAIII - reminds me of the Arc AA second I used to have. Not a perfect tone match, but it's not a jarring "Frankenstein Surefire" look.

The most wear seen on this light is on the pocket clip of the VG body - whatever the anodizing/coating on that is, it's not HAIII, so the coating is rubbed off around its perimeter. There are some small worn corners on the head of the KL1, and a few very small nicks. The head was in pristine condition when I got it, and I would say I carried it pretty carefully (in my jeans watch pocket, not in a pocket with keys and knife and other stuff) - but it was EDC and it was used almost daily.

Any other questions I can help with on either light, please post or PM.
Thanks guys
Dave

mahoney

Enlightened
Re: 2ND PRICE DROP: KL1/VG FB1, FFII

PM sent on Firefly. I'll take it if a MO is acceptable as payment.

DaveT

Enlightened

OK, FFII is now pending, KL1 combo still available.

DaveT

Enlightened

FFII sold and shipped. Last chance at the KL1 before I retire it.
Dave

DaveT

Enlightened
Re: FINAL PRICE DROP: KL1/VG FB1

OK, this time I mean it - last chance at the KL1. If I don't get a hit on it at this price, I'm giving it as a gift to relatives.
Thanks
Dave

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast

DaveT, my apologies on not finding that info! But when you mentioned the date of the mod, I was finally able to locate some useful info for ya... please excuse a temporary hijack of your thread so I might help out your potential buyers! :)

This is one of several KL1 mods I'd been doing at the time (and in fact, still do on occasion), and even by today's standards it stacks up very well. Some specs...

On 1x123, Dave's KL1 draws 0.67A from the battery, which suggests you'll get an estimated 88 minutes in regulation.

On 2x123, Dave's KL1 draws 0.30A from the battery, which suggests you'll get an estimated 196 minutes in regulation.

On 3x123, Dave's KL1 draws 0.20A from the battery, which suggests you'll get an estimated 294 minutes in regulation.

With the Fraen LP optic, Dave's light measures 711 lux at one meter.

With the SO17XA reflector, Dave's light measures 670 lux at one meter. This is SUPERB performance from an SO17XA.

This comparison shows a modded KL1 very similar to Dave's (right) against a stock KL1 gen4 (left)...
image-cpf-kl1-iddibhai-beamshot.jpg

It should also be mentioned that a Luxeon swap could easily be done at any time to increase brightness and runtime even further! (I'd recommend a nice, bright TYAH right now.) Dave's RX0J is no slouch, though! Absolutely gorgeous color and good brightness. Note that the KL1 is designed to run a LuxI in the vicinity of 350-400mA... if this RX0J were rated at the current flow of a LuxIII, it might compare to something like a TX0K.

The stock KL1 was a gen2, and the circuit wasn't modified at all. The stock KL1 gen2 circuit is buck/boost, so yes, it'll run just fine on 1x123, 2x123, 3x123, 2AA, R123, 2xR123, 18650, and many more... keep the voltage below 9V (or is it 12V? never tried that... might work!) and you'll be fine.

Handles dual stage switches great.

Works with all SureFire E-series, Vital Gear, McGizmo Aleph, UBH, and other parts, so there's plenty of flexibility in mix-and-match to suit your preferences. (I've got one in front of me right now, mounted on an Aleph 1x123 tube with Aleph dual stage tailcap, to offer one example.)

FWIW, I just built a few Milky L1 mods, which upgrade the old-style SureFire L1 with best-of-breed LuxIII emitters and reflectors. For those not aware, the electronics and output levels in these two lights (KL1 head and L1 flashlight) are very similar. I tested the finished lights first against a stock SureFire old-style high dome L1 (a rare breed in itself! the best of the stock older L1's) and a KL1 gen4 head... the one with the domed optic... and the Milky L1 beat both in just about every way... whiter output, perfect beam pattern (no artifacts), GREATER total output, LESS current draw, LONGER runtime... the point? When I say that Dave's modded KL1 is no slouch, I mean it.

Now, as to Dave's pricing... Dave, are you whacked!?! :twak: For $75 you're getting a great KL1-RX0J-SO17XA head *and* the very nice Vital Gear FB1 tailcap, which tailstands and has a tailcap tactical clicky in an incredibly compact package... almost as if the Vital Gear body is FREE... you simply won't get a deal like this very often...

To tell the truth, I'm actually considering buying it back... it's that nice!

Seriously! :thumbsup:

Hurry up folks! Someone is going to be VERY HAPPY with this, believe me. :eek:

Leef

Enlightened

$75, right? I'll take it. PP being done now. Thanx!:)

Leef

Enlightened

Uh...what is your PP email? I'll add $ for my CC PP. Thanx.