Maglite 6D with WWOT Lux-V - Questions?

jwl

Enlightened
What would be a good regulator to drive a LuxV WWOT in a Mag 6D?
Would the Downboy (Sandwich Shoppe) work or would I need something different? Would probably use alkaline batteries or 11,000mAh D's.

(I like the idea of using a 6D because it's big and should have LOTS of run time even with a LuxV.)

jwl

Enlightened
I'm starting to buy components for building a Luxeon 5W flashlight using a Maglite 6D as a host. What I need to know is, will the Downboy 750mA Stepdown converter board work in this application if not which one should I use? The chart on the Sandwich Shoppe has NA in the chart behind OPERATING VOLTAGE 5W LUXEON.

Planned components:
Maglite 6D
LuxeonV 5W (LXHL-PW03) WWOT
Hotlips-D
Downboy 750mA (if this works)

Batteries will be either 6 D-cell alkalines or 6 D-cell rechargeables (between 6,000-12,000mAh).

jwl

Enlightened
Nemul - I'm not worried about the weight. This would only be used for lighting during emergencies, that's why I'd like as much run time as possible. Also, I have always wanted a 6D Mag, so why not make it a powerful one...:rock:

Which Downboy do you think, 500mA or 750mA...Lumileds lists 700mA as absolute maximum?

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
jwl said:
Nemul - I'm not worried about the weight. This would only be used for lighting during emergencies, that's why I'd like as much run time as possible. Also, I have always wanted a 6D Mag, so why not make it a powerful one...:rock:

Which Downboy do you think, 500mA or 750mA...Lumileds lists 700mA as absolute maximum?

Go at least 750mA. That will go well in the Hotlips in your 6D host.

jwl

Enlightened
Are you sure that 750mA isn't going to fry the LuxV? Lumileds spec sheet lists 700mA as ABSOLUTE MAXUMIM. I just don't want to spend $44 for a LuxV and fry it.

Anybody running a LuxV at 750mA or higher?

nemul

Flashlight Enthusiast
I run my WX1S and WX1T at 1000mA..
750mA will be fine with all the heatsink from the hotlips/o-sink

rscanady

Enlightened
I have the WWOT running in a 2C through a DB1000 ( 1A) on a Hotlips sink and no problems yet. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Edited to add: power source is 2x Li-ion (18500 protected)

Ryan

Last edited:

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a 6D with a WX1T running fine at 1-1.2 amps.
A WWOT should be great like that too.
I used a 1.5 ohm block style 5 watt resistor in my case instead of a regulator.
About as efficient as the downboy1000 I tried with my 1st 5 watt 6D magmod last year.
I ended up pulling out the downboy in favor of the resistor.
Since you will be using nimh batteries, there is not really much point to a downboy regulator in a 6d thanks to the relatively flat discharge of the nimh batteries.

I also have a 5D WX1T with no resistor running direct drive off of 5 nimh D
batteries just fine at 1000 milliamps starting out and ending up at 600-700 milliamps when the batteries are almost empty = ideal.
This is the most dead simple magmod I have ever done with a Luxeon5 and it works great too. :)