Get rid of AOL service, will AIM profile still be on AOL's server?

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a friend who has AOL, but wants to cancel it because they now have DSL. Her daughter only uses the AIM part of the AOL service. I installed the stand alone AIM and her daughter could log in and all of her buddies showed up. So it stores the buddy list on AOL's server somewhere apparently.

But if the AOL account is canceled, will the buddy list be deleted from AOL's server?

I know you can create an AIM account without AOL seperately, but the buddy list was created using the aol main account....

Arkayne

Enlightened
Interesting question. I'd assume the BL will remain but you wouldn't be able to log in with their software to access the other services. I'll have to dig and find out.

edit: lots of yes and no's from what I read. One person did it and the BL remained, but that was 5 years ago. The best thing to do is make a backup of your BL just in case it does get axed and then manually enter them from the AIM Client.

My AIM>>Save Buddy List>>Save

Last edited:

nemul

Flashlight Enthusiast
i had aol, then moved to 3mb Cable. they still alow you keep your e-mail account and use it from aol.com... so i'm sure you can keep AIM, cause their the same..

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Arkayne: I must of read the same page you did. Do you know if you can import the saved list easily? I never used AOL, I've been straight internet since 1993. I always disliked AOL. I hear you have to create a new user name too as they lock the old one..

I guess it could go 50/50 chance...

nemul: hmm. How long ago?

Thanks guys...

Arkayne

Enlightened
Ditto, I've used AOL once when I was desperate for service out of town. I haven't touched it in over 8 years.

This one? http://forums.techguy.org/t403924&highlight=cancel+aol+buddy+list.html :grin2:

Since IM offers a Save As, instead of an Export, I'd assume there is no Import feature. The Save As is probably a text file.

You know what, this is probably a common question AOL subscribers have and probably a big gripe ex-subscribers would have if it indeed killed the BL list. It would be in AOL's best interest to save the BL so the customer would still be linked to AOL via Instant Messenger Client. I'm going to put my money on the BL NOT being deleted.

Last edited:

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
I read a different page. I'm reading that one right now. One post said you can import the .txt to restore the BL and preferences... hmm.

Makes sense on the save-as. I guess we will see what happens. I will tell them to save the list and prepare to have to re-add their buddies and possibly change screen names if worse comes to worse.

offroadcmpr

Enlightened
My friend did the same thing. He got rid of AOL, and switched to DSL. Once his AOL account was cancelled he was not able to log back into his old screen name, or his create a new one with the same thing. It kept on giving him an error.

So if you want it to work, you will have to do something special to get it to work.
It is not that hard to create a new screen name too. I have a couple, and it is free. If you have to get a new one, you can make one that is similar, and tell all of your friends what your new one is.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had them log into AIM stand alone program with their exsisting AOL account. So maybe that might trigger something on AOL's side to allow access after cancelation. I'm hoping at least.

I will have them export their buddy list and setup a new name just in case. They probably won't like that. :eek: