Dorcy 1X123A vs. Fenix L1P

InfidelCastro

Banned
I have a Dorcy 1X123A that I really like. I bought it as a battery drainer for my incandescent CR123A lights. As mentioned in the previous thread, I think it blows my River Rock 2AAA away and is a nice white instead of the River Rock 2AAA's sickening blueberry color. Only thing I don't like about the Dorcy's (and the River Rocks) is that they're Chinese made. I am very impressed with the Dorcy so far though.

I was wondering if anyone here has both this light and the smaller Fenix, the LP1. I was wondering, how do they compare in brightness? I know that the Fenix is running off of a single AA cell and is somewhat underdriven, but that it has a boost circuit. Is the Fenix 1W or 3W? I can't remember.

Anyways, any comparisons would be appreciated. Personally I'd like to see a single cell version of the Fenix in 123A. Thanks.

Last edited:

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Dorcy 1X123A vs. Fenix LP1

it is a one watt. And it too is made in China, from what I hear, the fact that it is chinese made didnt make the least difference in its quality.

-David

InfidelCastro

Banned
Thanks. It's actually not the quality of Chinese made items that concerns me. But thanks for that reply. I was thinking for some reason that it might be a 3W.. maybe because of the hype about it..

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
well, for a single AA, it sure produces quite a bit of light. L1p is a really nice light.... I ordered on two days ago.

-David

PrimiToad

Newly Enlightened
I don't care for Chinese made items either but I have noticed that Dorcy products that are Chinese made seem to be better overall than the older Taiwanese made items. Probably a matter of design. If they were the current models but made in Taiwan, I would bet that the quality would be better.

theamazingrando

Newly Enlightened
I just bought a Dorcy 1xCR123 luxeon. It appears to be made in the ROC...and I thought these were fairly new lights....

markk

Newly Enlightened
InfidelCastro,
I have both the 1x123 Dorcy and the L1P. My Dorcy is slightly brighter but I prefer the Fenix which is smaller and has a much better clickie. The Dorcy switch has almost no tactile or audible feedback which is my biggest criticism. Beam quality is very smooth on both. Lots better than the Metal Gear or Super 1 Watt Dorcy models. Better than the Peak CPF 2005 Special although not as bright.

Overall, though, I prefer the L1P for it's small size and nicer feel. Also, being able to use AA batteries (primary or rechargable NiMh) doesn't hurt.

onthebeam

Enlightened
markk said:
Beam quality is very smooth on both. Lots better than the Metal Gear or Super 1 Watt Dorcy models. Better than the Peak CPF 2005 Special although not as bright.
Are you saying the beam quality on the Dorcy 1 watt is much better than the CFP special? How so? I think I'm reading that you find the Dorcy smoother? I've been wondering about this because I don't know if the CPF SPecial is too bright for up close work around the house. What do you think? I tend to prefer smooth beams, like the Nuwai Q3 with it's orangepeel reflector. I also like the Fenix beam's smoothness, although there is a hotspot. I find the Streamlight ProPoly Luxeon great for throw but not good closeup. Just too hot of a blazing spot inside. . .

markk

Newly Enlightened
onthebeam,
Yeah, I'd say my Dorcy (1x123) beam is better in the sense that the hot spot is rounder, smoother, and there are fewer artifacts throughout. Also, the transition from the hot spot to the spill area is smoother. Of course, it's not as bright as the CPF Special.

AFA the CPF Special - I think it would be OK around the house using primary 123s if you're not annoyed by twisting it on. Brightness is more in line with the L1P and run time is supposedly HUGE... like 12 hours or so (I haven't test this myself yet but I'm looking forward to it ;)).

InfidelCastro

Banned
PrimiToad said:
I don't care for Chinese made items either but I have noticed that Dorcy products that are Chinese made seem to be better overall than the older Taiwanese made items. Probably a matter of design. If they were the current models but made in Taiwan, I would bet that the quality would be better.

I agree. Some of the best quality/value products come from Taiwan.

InfidelCastro

Banned
Ok, so it sounds like the Dorcy 123A is maybe a tiny bit brighter than the Fenix L1P. That's basically what I was wondering.

The Dorcy's size is fine by me. I carry it in a coat pocket next to my G2 and it's half the size of the G2, so that's small enough for me. The Fenix sure seems like a neat light though, but I don't think I'll ever run out of 123's that need to be drained. My biggest and really only complaint about my Dorcy is the lack of any type of stipling on the frame. It's just smooth with ripples.

Using rechargeables is nice, but not really my cup of tea for a light like this. At least not currently. Thanks for the comments everyone.

InfidelCastro

Banned
Wow... after checking those runtime charts, now I'm really wondering what all the hype about the Fenix is from..

fenix_nimh.gif

fenix_l1p_009.gif

dorcy1w.gif

Now the Dorcy is the kind of light I want in my pocket to see around the urban jungle at night. Not the Fenix.

With the Dorcy there appears to be no noticable amount of drop off for around an hour to a hour and a half and then you see a gradual dropoff.

But no matter which batteries you use with the Fenix, the drop-off begins immediately. I wonder how the Fenix will run with some expensive E2's? Honestly though I think if I read another Fenix thread I might upchuck some eggnog.

Last edited:

Wyeast

Enlightened
Bear in mind that part of that is a function of the battery used. A lithium cell like a 123 will have a flatter discharge curve than an alkaline AA. NiMH's also have a flatter curve than an alkaline, but not as good as a lithium cell. This is why the discharge on an L1P drops on a primary and does better on a NiMH even though it has a lower energy capacity. (2300mAh vs ~2850mAh)

On a lithium AA, the discharge should be pretty good and you'll get more useable runtime before the beam drops to 50% on a Fenix.

The hype is that you get a solid light off a single AA. Something you used to get with only a couple 5mms if you were lucky. Very bright for a pocketable little thing.

That said, both lights have their purposes. I have a 1x123 and I like it so far. Perhaps not as solidly built as the Fenix, but it does the job for less money. And I've got plenty of AA drainers (X1's and MM-Nite Izes) already. :naughty: