Which do you recommend?

KSH92474

Newly Enlightened
i wanted to get a good flashlight for use whenever i need to go out in places while camping and etc. i was thinking i might be able to get myself either the Pelican M6 LED or the Gerber TX 3.0 L.E.D. both LED's, lifetime warranty. The pelican has 40 hours burntime, runs on 123A lithium batteries while the gerber has 51, has more lumens and runs on 3 AA batteries(to my convienience. i dont know about fit in hand. the gerber looks a bit small. has anyone here tried either of these? if not, what do you use and what would you recommend?:thanks::xyxgun::touche:

deranged_coder

Enlightened
Hey there, welcome to CPF! :wave:

First of all, please do not believe the hype regarding those long burn times. It is quite possible that you will get 40 hours of burn time from a pair of 123A batteries but not all of that will be useable light.

A good site for doing research on flashlights is FlashlightReviews.com. This is what it has to say regarding the lights you have mentioned:

Before we start making any recommendations, a few questions are in order. This is to help us figure out what light(s) is good for you. First, what budget do you have? How much are you willing to spend? Are you after more light output (brighter) or longer runtime? Do you have any preferences for type of batteries that it uses? How are you planning to carry it around? On you (e.g. pocket, belt holster) or in something like a bag or backpack?

Oh, and if it is for camping, you may want to also look into headlamps. Very useful when you need both hands free for doing camping chores.

Kershaw

Enlightened
But again i would definitely recommend the Fenix L1p, 46 lumens of light, 2 hours + runtime, and all from a little AA battery. You can pick of up from lighthound.com, great customer service and i love the one i have. Just my 2 cents worth.

KSH92474

Newly Enlightened
hey kershaw. glad to see your here. it is me. i guess i should have used azn_seagull02 for others to find me. i guess ill just re-register. thanks for the recom.s and links. they should help me

Kershaw

Enlightened
Well its good to see a fellow blade brother joining the ranks, relax and enjoy your stay at cpf.

KSH92474

Newly Enlightened
ok i checked out the fenix and i like it. i think the first one ill buy would be tritac though. i like the convinience of using AA batteries. thanks for all the recomendations eveyrone. if theres anything else you'd like to add, ill take a look and all. thanks

dim

Enlightened
I recently posted a reply to a similar question about Gerber flashlights HERE. Basically, I think highly of the Trio and LX 3.0

dim

KSH92474

Newly Enlightened
wow this forum is amazing and real big. there are posts everywhere to read and its easy to find your way around. thanks for the replys eveyrone. they really did help me choosing one and i decided for now that ill go and get me a fenix L1P real soon. thanks

GWC3

Newly Enlightened
while I'm new to this group I do have a gerber LX3.0 (TX different in tail cap switch I believe?) and have done extensive camping and backpacking. If backpacking and carrying weight is paramount, the gerber is big, and heavy (all metal and 3xAA). But I like the gerber if you wouldn't have to lug it around. But again its not a pocket light by any means as a 3xAAA si kind of long. But it will put out good light.