Why Flashaholics? Compare YOUR history with your brother CPF'ers

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Why Flashaholics? Compare YOUR history with your brother CPF\'ers

Today, for the umpteenth time some people asked me that all-too-familiar question: "what's this thing you have with flashlights?" And for the umpteenth time I tried to explain, while they exchanged those knowing glances. Even after I told them about CPF, and the fact that in addition to indulging our "obsession" we intereact with manufacturers and perform a genuinely useful function, they still didn't get it. It got me wondering: when and why did I first become interested in flashlights, and was I able to pinpoint a time when I became a true Flashaholic?

It started for me as a young boy on a Rudge bicycle with a weak handlebar-mounted light. I wanted more light! And I rigged up various Rube Goldberg type flashlight set ups. Then it lay dormant for years until I accidently stumbled upon Craig's site and discovered LED's, which led me to incandescents which led me HERE, which is going to lead me to the poorhouse if I keep buying all these d**mn lights!!Someday I'll get a digital camera and post my collection and you'll see what I mean. And how about my brother Flashaholics? We appear to be of all ages and professions, united by this (un)common bond. When and how did it start and develop for YOU?

Brightnorm

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Why Flashaholics? Compare YOUR history with your brother CPF\'ers

I've often wondered about that myself. My earliest recollection was when I was frightened about having to undergo a tonsillectomy in 1948 (I was 6 yrs. old). I was rolled into surgery with a brand new Eveready 1-AA penlight curled up in my right hand.
-maybe a form of "security blanket"?
blush.gif
The surgeon smiled and thought it was cute.....
rolleyes.gif
Then came the Boy Scouts, the military, etc....

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast

I`m not sure...maybe it`s the fear of being traped in a coffin after discovering your not really dead...with no light..hate it when that happens. Or if our planet were hit by a large object and sent out into deep, dark space...the light might not help for a long time...to cold...but think of the girls you could attract with a light in those waning hours.
smile.gif

Ok, all nonsence aside...Maybe it`s a childhood fear of the dark and the flashlight gives a feeling of comfort...??

When I was growing up Flash Gorden had a ray gun that could melt stuff...the flashlight was the only thing I could find that was close...so I used to pretend my light could be used to destroy mountians and stuff...same as his...in fact...if I could just get a little more power...

Do I need help??

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I've always like flashlights since I was a small boy. My very first light was an old Army anglehead flashlight. I still have it - along with a modern version of one, beefed up with a halogen bulb, alkaline batteries.

The nice thing about flashlights is that they are practical. I can't tell you how many times I have seen cases where people needed a flashlight and did not have one. Most people do not even keep on in their home or car - at least one kept in an operable condition.

People that know me know I always have 3 things on me, a knife, compass, and a flashight of some kind. Even if it is a Photon III. I camp and fish a lot so flashlights come in handy.

Fortunately, flashlights have improved with time. Better quality and features.

I frequently give flashlights as gifts. Many have received lights from me for their vehicles - which probably were not maintained but at least they got one.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by brightnorm:
Today, for the umpteenth time some people asked me that all-too-familiar question: "what's this thing you have with flashlights?" And for the umpteenth time I tried to explain, while they exchanged those knowing glances. Even after I told them about CPF, and the fact that in addition to indulging our "obsession" we intereact with manufacturers and perform a genuinely useful function, they still didn't get it.

It got me wondering: when and why did I first become interested in flashlights, and was I able to pinpoint a time when I became a true Flashaholic?

It started for me as a young boy on a Rudge bicycle with a weak handlebar-mounted light. I wanted more light! And I rigged up various Rube Goldberg type flashlight set ups.(former cartoonist of outlandishly complex and impractical gadgets).Then it lay dormant
for years until I accidently stumbled upon Stingmon's site and discovered LED's, which led me to incandescents which led me HERE, which is going to lead me to the poorhouse if I keep buying all these d**mn lights!!

Someday I'll get a digital camera and post my collection and you'll see what I mean.

And how about my brother Flashaholics? We appear to be of all ages and professions, united by this (un)common bond. When and how did it start and develop for YOU?

Best regards,
Brightnorm
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gman

Enlightened

For me, it started as a cop, when I was a very young man. First in the military, then in civilian life. When I gave that up, the flashlight bug never left.

It lie somewhat dormant for several years until I began my flying career, than it came rushing back. In between those years I suffered the ills of many poor torches while working as an engineer. I became frustrated with yellow beams and the "shake" required to get even that to come outta the end.

I became obsessed with reliability, with having the Power when I needed it. I began to modify Maglights because they were all I had.

I cruised Radio Shack like a shark lookin for a meal. I wanted better bulbs, I wanted better batteries. I wanted it all. I began to machine torches from scratch but couldn't find the reflector that gave me the beam I wanted.

So I suffered in silence, one good man with a few bad torches.

Then, about 8 years ago, a pilot showed me a SureFire he had bought from another pilot who was a reserve deputy sheriff. I was intrigued. Soon after I bought a 6P, then a Scorpion followed.

These were far to bright for cockpit work, but they were great for looking at the thing before we flew it. Even in daylight, one must look for the demon of the air.

Soon I was adding lithium torches to my survival gear when I flew in isolated places.
Then, red Led lights appeared and I wanted one for use when dark adapted. I began to search for better and better lights, for all uses.

A Magcharger appeared in my car. To help with maps, lights on flexible stalks sprung up like mushrooms after a summer's rain, while more and more torches appeared in my kitchen drawers.

I couldn't seep, in the wee hours of the morning my house began to look like a scene from the X Files. Lord only knows what the neighbors were thinking.....

I tried to stop, I really tried.

But I couldn't.

The rest, as they say, is history. Would I do it again? I don't know. The odd looks, the whispering of others, the shaking of heads....I really don't know.

But I know this much: I'm a better, but much *poorer*, man for it. And I can see clearly now, I fear the Dark no longer.

The End.
tongue.gif

redbird

Enlightened

I accidently discovered my love for flashlights. A friend was in my office a few years back looking at my stash of flashlights and commented on what a nice collection I had. Before that I had never given it a thought, but with that comment I realized I was indeed hooked.

I usually look for AA type lights and have atleast 40 different minimags. All with different company names on them.

I too worked in law enforcement in the 80s and before we got the Streamlight SL20 I had a 4 C cell mag light with a Krypton bulb. Everyone kept commenting on how bright it was. Then came the Streamlight.

As access to the Web became more common I found myself looking at various sites for information on flashlights and stumbled across Surefire. Next came the 6P, 9P,3P, 8x., 3 stingers, on and on.

I now freely acknowledge I am hooked. With over 150 various lights. An orignal USN light NIB from WWII that gives off less light than a match all the way up to the UltraStinger.

The future of lights is exciting. I can envision a variable output light in the size of the E2 in a few years.

On the personal defense front I would love to see a multiple strobe effect light with equivelant output of those old flashbulbs that blinded many of us when we were young. A 3 shot burst with short recycle time...
shocked.gif
shocked.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

I think I got the biggest push when I received an Eveready sealed beam lantern for Christmas when I was somewhere in single-digits in age. Maybe 6, maybe 7.

Around this time, my big brother started to tinker with hot rods, and I'd always find things like ignition coils , spark plugs, and headlight bulbs in the garage. Hooking a car headlight bulb to a pair of 6 volt lantern batteries with wire and alligator clips and then taping the whole mess to my banana bike made me the brightest S.O.B. on the block, but batteries were expensive on my 50 cents a week allowance, so I didn't use this light very much.
smile.gif

Then I got involved with LEDs. My first one was a dim red one that cost me more than 3 months worth of saving my allowance; I managed to blow it up within the first three minutes.
blush.gif

After that, I was *much* more careful, and learned there's a reason why resistors were invented.
smile.gif
When I got my second LED (of the same kind - the only kind available) a few months later, I was much more careful and I think it lasted many years before becoming lost or being thrown out by an evil stepmother.

By the time I hit the big one two, I started experimenting with things like strobe light circuits and lasers; all the while trying to make the best flashlight that used cheap, readily available batteries.
I was no longer interested in those metal 2-cell Ray-O-Vacs, and around this time I got my first Mag-Lite. First thing I did was go and get the best bulbs I could find, so I could once again be the brightest S.O.B. for miles around. Only the police had brighter lights than I did, and theirs weren't *that* much bettter.

As with most obsessions, I went through a "dark period" that lasted from the late 1980s through the mid 1990s. With the exception of still looking for the brightest and baddest LEDs, I didn't do a whole lot with my flashlight obsession, other than maybe buying a light once every few months to replace those stolen at my job site.

But it wasn't until early 1999 that things took off again upon my first exposure to this thing called the internet, or world wide web. Before that, I'd never seen a web page was, and probably couldn't even tell you what a browser was.

Late 1999 was the turning point. October 18th, around 2pm to be exact. That was when I did something I'll never regret: I posted a single 14K web page about LEDs. I used an adjunct to an already existing baseball website, so the url was http://home.att.net/~safecofield/led.htm
It had a few K of text and a smattering of tiny black and white pictures taken with an old computer-mounted camera that looked like a defective golf ball on a smashed tee. Yeah, I had a webcam before I even knew what the web was... a friend gave it to me a few years earlier.
blush.gif

Little did I know back then what kind of a monster I'd end up creating, or how large a following I would develop.

And as they say, the rest is 30 megs of history.

Gman

Enlightened

redbird, your prayers have been answered.

Whelen Corporation makes what is known as
the "Comet Flash" strobe, for airplanes, vehicles and other warning applications.

I have four of these babies on my airplane (my light addiction goes beyond torches :), all synced together. Air Traffic Controllers tell me it's the one of brightest things they've ever seen.

Four rapid strobes of 40 joules of power each, all in about 1 second, continuously. The strobe tube is small, but the box is about the size of three packs of cigarettes stacked together. (those darn capacitors, you know)

Runs on anything from 11 to 32 volts DC, draws about 2 amps at 28 volts. Could be fitted into something smaller, but then you'd also need a place for the batteries. Hmmm...it could be done, but the total package would be larger than a big Maglight.

Gandalf

Enlightened

I can't remember when I first got really interested in flashlights, but I was pretty young. My parents kept a dim, generic metal flashlight in a kitchen drawer, and I used to like to play with it. If it ever had dead batteries when my father needed to use it, I was always blamed.

The first flashlight I can remember owning was one I got as a birthday gift; I was 10 or 12 years old, and the light was a chrome plated 2 C cell Eveready Captain. I know I used that light for quite a few years; I remember spending the tiny amounts of money I had for a new bulb, or batteries, but I can't recall what happened to it. (I did buy two of them in excellent working condition, including one that's in mint condition, from eBay. With a krypton lamp, and a bit of work to focus it, they are pretty decent flashlights.)

It was after I graduated from college, got a job, and had some money, that the flashlight bug really bit me. When I discovered Maglite flashlights, (and I can't remember exactly when that was) I was firmly hooked. Up until I discovered Maglites, all the flashlights I had used were relatively cheap Eveready, Rayovac, and the like. The kind of flashlight where when it got a few years old, shaking it was often necessary to make it light up. Also, There were a few lanterns that actually put out a decent amount of light, including one that belonged to a friend's father, and featured a sealed beam lamp. It was pretty bright, by the standards of the day.

At some point I discovered Tekna flashlights, and purchased several, including one that runs on 2 size N cells. I still have that light; If I took out the bulb, I'd bet it uses the old screw base #222, the common bulb used in 'penlights'. They have a lens of sorts on them, that work like the lenses on modern LED lamps, except they varied tremendously in the beam they delivered.

When Maglite came out with their AA Mini Maglite, I started buying them as gifts, and buying them so I could have on in each of my jacket and winter parka pockets. Later, they became available in different colors, and I eagerly bought each one, often paying a premium price to get the newest color. By then, I was deeply addicted to flashlights, and my purchases were limited by my modest income, and the sheer lack of variety. There was no Internet to discover the latest flashlights on the market; only mail order catalogs, that could take a month to deliver a new flashlight.
mad.gif
frown.gif

funk

Enlightened

For me it started with my grandfather and father. My grandfather worked for Bell telephone and loved flashlights - my father inherited that interest from him and it was all reinforced through Scouting..... I would guess that between the 3 of us, there are probably well over 500 flashlights of all forms, shapes,quality and functions. I am the only non-mod guy - they are the tinkerers and re-creators. In fact, as a small boy, my father started his first business selling home made flashlights on their farm - .85 a peice - a true bargain.
You guys would love Christmas dinner - all flashlight talk really.

Bmccue1964

Newly Enlightened

I too am a "Flash-A-Holic". I have dozens of flashlights around the house and in my cars. I just purchased my first LED light - a Brinkmann 2-AA Long Life - last week. By the way, it runs for 48 hours.

I am a former boy scout who believes in being prepared. I'm also an avid camper who always finds the need for flashlights around the camp site.

I guess I'm subconciously preparing for some sort of major power disruption. To compliment my numerous lights I have a backup generator for my house.

I have several friends who do not even own a single flashlight (and only have cordless phones!). I always wonder what these people would do during an extended power failure. As gifts I have given them flashlight "assortments" (1 6 volt lantern, 2 "D" cell flashlights and spare batteries/bulbs).

I was elated to find a site which covers this subject matter. I thought I was alone in this world. I do agree, I am a "Flash-A-Holic" and perhaps need "help".

Have a safe, happy (and bright) New Years!

- Brian

dougmccoy

Enlightened

It's funny but when you read most of the stuff about being a flashaholic for a lot of us it was the damned military angle head which we first used as kids!Perhaps there was a conspiracy by some government to flood the market with those things in the hope that they would be able to influence young minds? Whatever, in my case it obviously has! I am always on the lookout for something new and better and have enraged my wife with my 'interest' in torches/flashlights and amused others with their 'How much was that thing!You must be mad to pay that for a light!'
I guess I am just bitten with an uncontrollable urge to buy more whenever I get the chance!

Anyway to all the other people out there inflicted with this disease take care and have a Happy New Year!

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dougmccoy:
It's funny but when you read most of the stuff about being a flashaholic for a lot of us it was the damned military angle head which we first used as kids!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had one of those things when I was in the boy scouts. But I still preferred to fire up the big Eveready sealed beam lantern for those night hikes & campouts.
grin.gif

Tesla

Enlightened

I've always had an over-riding urge to "hot-rod" ANYTHING I own. I've "fixed things until they're broken" often in my youth. I am NEVER satisfied with "stock" equipment of any kind. As an example, my Mini-mag is "hot-rodded" with Nexstar bulb & lithium batteries, my guitar has modified tone circuitry, and my wife has "modified" hair color (I'll deny that one if caught telling). I suspect the competitive streak in many flashaholics is part of the fascination; having the biggest, baddest, brightest light on the block or something no one else has is what drives many of us, I suspect.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by vcal:
I've often wondered about that myself. My earliest recollection was when I was frightened about having to undergo a tonsillectomy in 1948 (I was 6 yrs. old). I was rolled into surgery with a brand new Eveready 1-AA penlight curled up in my right hand.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Vcal, what were flashlights like when you was a kid compared to now? I don't mean special battery type flashlights like the Surefires but regular ones (unless special battery types were common back then). I just watched an rerun episode of Leave It To Beaver (for those who don't know the show date was the late 50s) where Wally and the Beave were outside prowling around in the dark looking for a cat with a flashlight. The barrel of the flashlight looked like it was at least a 2D, a good possibility of being a 3D but the reflector head looked like it had to be a good six inches in diameter. Looked like it should be quite bright. Were those types of lights common in the 50s? I would like to learn more about the flashlights of the past.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast

"Why Flashaholics? Compare YOUR history with your brother CPF'ers"

Well I always like flashlights as a kid and have memories of the magnetic 2D constantly stuck to the fridge. One of my most vivid memories was my late high school years and first year of college ('79-'82. Growing up in northern Vermont I worked at a restaurant during the summers at that time. Unfortunately the restaurant was nine miles from home and I depended on my bicycle for transportation. I usually got out of work after ten at night and so experimented with a few different generator light sets where the back tire of the bicycle would turn a knurled knob of a generator that would produce power to the headlight and tailight. I particularly remember a Sears "12 volt" system that came complete with a high and low beam on the headlight. Unfortunately it was not regulated and Vermont being hilly, I could obtain speeds of 40 miles per hour fairly easily downhill which continually blew the bulbs. Upon complaining to Sears, they sent me six free replacement bulbs. Knowing what I know now, I would have hooked me up a 12 volt or less regulator circuit.

Still until a year or ago, I thought Mags were the best incandescent lights. The forum has educated me greatly.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I remember my 1st light was one of those silver metal Ray-O-Vacs with the magnet on the switch. Man, I thought that was the greatest, even though I had to bang on the head to get it to work.
smile.gif

Graduating to Scouts, dad bought me a lantern. I can't remember the name of it but it had a spot lamp on the front and a red lamp on the rear. This thing was powered by one of those big 'ole batteries with the scews on top.

I sure enjoyed them!

Eric

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, geep-when I was a kid, there didn't seem to be very many choices, like today. There were only 2 battery brands we could buy for flashlights:
1. Eveready 9 lives (silver cardboard with a cat pictured inside the 9)-carbon/zinc
2. Ray-O-Vac yellow (more carbon-zinc)
frown.gif

Those 2 brands were about the only flashlights that I remember seeing a lot of, and most of the available bulbs tops were round and were screwed in.
BTW-we used a "B" battery (huge) for our vacuum tube portable radios. (no transistors for us until 1952).
-I think the "AA" battery became available in about 1949 or thereabouts.....
The best battery you could buy was the now laughed at "heavy duty" zinc chloride. AFAIR there were NO alkalines 'till about 1965, I think....and certainly no rechargeables. When the carbon batteries would get weak, we'd recharge 'em by putting them in the kitchen oven for 10-15min. at 250 degrees
tongue.gif
, because sometimes we couldn't afford to get new ones, which were 15-20¢ each.(a lot of money in those days).

My father is gone now, but I still have his brass 2-D Eveready flashlight (with hex bezel) that he used to work on our family car -a 1931 Model"A" Ford, which always seemed like it needed fixing..
-That flashlight is terribly beat-up and dented from 35-40 years worth of use, but it is still in working condition.......

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think my obsession started with my dad, he was interested in tools and such, so I liked the same. I started to move towards the flashlight side, because I just like to fact of being prepared, I had a Q-beam 500k CP, 2D Maglight, Military Crook Neck flashlight, a oscillating light ( from sears ), a strobe/flashlight ( a flashlight with 10 LEDs built into the handle, and a tripod into the head ), a white photon, orange photon, and a Dewalt 14.4 Volt flashlight. It wasn't until my friend who was a Sheriffs Explorer, showed me his Stinger, that outshined my maglight, then I knew there was a whole new world of flashlights out there. Then those new Hi Intensity LEDs came out, I started seeing them in taillights, traffic signals, and small keychains flashlights. Then I started looking on the web, and I found Telephony's website, which had a link to CPF, I realized I wasn't alone!! Now, I have added an Ultrastnger, Eternalight, and Scorpion to my collection. I love lights in general so much, I paid 700 bucks for a set of real HIDs in my truck. Great forum, with lots of great members, glad I found it.