1AAA 0.5w AdvancedMart LED-050AAA

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
John at AdvancedMart sent this chromed brass 1AAA 0.5watt (LED-050AAA) light (thanks John!) - along with my replacement 0.5w 1AA - AdvancedMart LED-005S

Adv05w1AA_AAApch2.jpg

Size comparison -
Adv05w1AA_AAAsz.jpg

It's about the size of the Dorcy 1AAA - slim body with wider head. But it feels heavy - being chromed brass. The switch is on the side of the body toward the front - it works like a reverse clicky.

Heads -
Adv05w1AA_AAAhd2.jpg

The 0.5watt LED looks like the same as the 1AA version (0.5w 1AA - AdvancedMart LED-005S) its die size looks smaller than the ones in the 0.5watt Nuwais and River Rocks.

vs. Nuwai 0.5w 1AAA (TM-310H)
Adv05w1AAA_NuwaiAAA.jpg
Adv05w1AAA_Nuwai2U.jpg

Pretty similar brightness and beam characteristics - except the AdvancedMart 0.5w 1AAA has a much nicer (less blue) tint than the Nuwai.

vs. Dorcy 1AAA
Adv05w1AAA_DorcyAAA.jpg
Adv05w1AAA_Dorcy2U.jpg

The 0.5watt 1AAA as expected is noticably brighter than the classic (1st gen) Dorcy 1AAA that I EDC.

Even though the output performance of this light is quite obviously a lot better than the Dorcy 1AAA and the size shape is similar - I don't think this light will take over as my EDC as yet - for form factor reasons - which I'll probably discuss in another thread, later.

vs. 0.5w 1AA - AdvancedMart LED-005S
Adv05w1AA_AAA.jpg
Adv05w1AA_AAA2U.jpg

I vacillate in my preference between these two flashlights' beams. The AAA version seems just a slightly better tint, and I kind of quite like the way the hotspot is less distinct fading toward the side-spill/corona. But I also like the noticably wider hotspot of the AA version but not quite as taken with its more abrupt change to its side-spill.

Looking at the heads shot more carefully one can just make out the difference in the reflectors which are responsible for the beam differences - even though the lens and head diameters are the same. The AAA version seems to reflect more like a donut/ring of yellow phosphor - whereas the AA version seems to fill the reflector. I would have speculated the AA version's reflector is actually better designed...... but I'm no expert on this.

In the review of the 0.5w 1AA - AdvancedMart LED-005S there is quite a bit of discussion about potential conductivity problems due to anodized threads.
On this AAA version there is no such problem as the body material is chromed brass and the threads and actually the entire body is electrically conductive. This means that the body outer is conductive, I don't think this makes any difference in normal use - but I don't know if anyone can think of objections of having a flashlight body that is fully conductive to the outside?

Last edited:

beakman

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for posting the size comparison. AdvancedMart states on their website that this flashlight is less than 3 inches long, which looking at your pictures it obviously isn't (more like 3.5 inches, it appears). That's too bad, because if it was under 3 inches it would be a nice keychain light to give as gifts, but at 3.5 inches it's probably just a little longer than most people want on their keychains. So I'm thinking about giving people the Nuwai TM-310H instead (hence my other post from today).

the beakman

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
beakman wrote: "if it was under 3 inches it would be a nice keychain light to give as gifts, but at 3.5 inches it's probably just a little longer than most people want on their keychains. So I'm thinking about giving people the Nuwai TM-310H instead (hence my other post from today)."

Thank you for the input.

I have the 1AAA 0.5w AdvancedMart in front of me and can confirm it is just a shade under 3.5".

For me it is too big for the keyring - but then I regard even the tiny and very elegant ArcAAA a bit too big for my keyring - I will only attach something the size of the Photons.

If one wanted to attach it to a keyring - I would consider carrying it in its supplied pouch and attaching it to the keyring - just a thought - that way the light isn't always rubbing against keys.

I would consider it a very good size for a pocket light. In fact very close to ideal - I have found by experience that the Dorcy 1AAA is about close to ideal for my pocket carry EDC light.
I've been threatening to post a thread about form-factor of lights, and I'm just starting to gather some thoughts (stream? :p) together....

Just a hint - if one really wants to "measure" any of the flashlights in my photos - use a photo editor - outline and select the ruler in the photo - then just drag the ruler over the light in question to "measure" it.
Note: one must use the ruler in the same photo - as my photos are not always scaled/resized by the same amount.
This is actually pretty accurate - as there is minimal geometric distortion from the "camera lens" - since I'm actually using a flatbed scanner for these photos.
see: some general flatbed Scanner advice

Last edited: