Bushnell entry into LED flashlights

Analog

Newly Enlightened
http://www.opticsplanet.net/bushnell-led-flashlights-100100c.html

Had an opportunity to handle and examine this new model manufactured by Bushnell today. Very nicely done. Click tail cap with locator lamp, also stands on end. Front bezel rotates from hi,medium,low constant illumination, then SOS, then strobe. Felt like a very positive spring loaded detent ball that maintains setting of adjustable/turning bezel. Excellent machine work and finishing. Hi polished deep reflector, very even hotspot and sidespill. Didn't have any other reflector lights with me to compare beams, sorry. "Capped" spring in tailpiece, making it look like a piston for making negative battery contact.

Last edited:

Analog

Newly Enlightened
2-CR123a. The one I saw was not packaged for sale. I would assume they come with batteries. It does come with a wrist lanyard, no case. You can see the strap lug(machined) on the side of the tailpiece.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a little bit put off by the MXDL style heads. I tend to think they might be cheap Chinese lights. Bushnell is a good optical company, though, so I don't know what to think. I believe they are the makers of Tasco telescopes, and Bolle' sunglasses. I am a bit curious about the lights, but not curious enough to buy one.

nemul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Trashman said:
I'm a little bit put off by the MXDL style heads. I tend to think they might be cheap Chinese lights. Bushnell is a good optical company, though, so I don't know what to think. I believe they are the makers of Tasco telescopes, and Bolle' sunglasses. I am a bit curious about the lights, but not curious enough to buy one.

ditto on the head part

nemul

Flashlight Enthusiast
flmxdl3wblksb1cu.jpg

it's a cheap over-seas flashlight

Last edited:

rgc

Newly Enlightened
They appear to be expanding the way say Browning does it, out sourcing for product to put their name on. Don't get me wrong, the 4200 Elite is one heck of a scope.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bushnell is making good optics now?

Maybe I need to revisit them. I have not looked in a long time.
In the past it seemed that the only American Company that had good Optics was Leupold with the German companies being the best.

vkan

Newly Enlightened
When I first saw this subject thread, I was hoping I wasn't the first person to buy the Tasco (TM of Bushnell) "ultra bright LED 1 Watt Torch Set" of two 3xAA flashlights at BJ's for $27. Looks like we're talking about different things.

I haven't seen these lights anywhere on the web yet and have no idea of the quality. Looks nice though as stocking stuffers though.

The lamp heads are different from the Bushnell lights referred to here.

vkan

Newly Enlightened
vkan said:
When I first saw this subject thread, I was hoping I wasn't the first person to buy the Tasco (TM of Bushnell) "ultra bright LED 1 Watt Torch Set" of two 3xAA flashlights at BJ's for $27. Looks like we're talking about different things.

I haven't seen these lights anywhere on the web yet and have no idea of the quality. Looks nice though as stocking stuffers though.

The lamp heads are different from the Bushnell lights referred to here.

Well, I opened the blister pack up and I'm returning the Tasco lights.

One of the lights has a nice, white output, the other has the infamous "rotten cat urine green". So I suppose it's either luck of the draw, or the manufacturer purposely puts in one good one and one bad one. In either case, the lights aren't interesting enough.

The body is nowhere near as solid as a Maglite 2AA light, and the head's sculpting does practically nothing to keep it from rolling.