What do people really think of the Inova T3/X03 lights?

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have recently become somewhat interested in the Inova T3/X03 lights for throw potential. I do alot of communications work and often need to look up and down towers. I usually use my SF M3T incand. for this, but would love to go to an LED for better runtimes (and stop buying lamps). Since I've come to this forum I've bought more LED lights than I ever imagined I would. I've caught the flavor craze from Q3's to L1P's, but have never even seen an Inova in the flesh. I heard from some that there is still some negative feelings about Inova concerning the ARC problem and all. It is obvious from other Inova threads that the throw is good but with very little sidespill. Inova claims an illumination of up to 250' (of course, everyone's definition of "illumination" is different). I've gotten conflicting responses about these lights. Most say the quality is excellent, but their brightness is in dispute by many. I've been told that the brightness is really no brighter than my TM301-X3 that I EDC (Maybe just narrower?). The narrow beam may work in my favor for the application above. What do people really think of these lights? Do you recommend them? How bright are they in your own experience compared to other LED lights?

Thanks

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think for your application a Mag with either a drop-in LED lamp or a similar reflectored wil give better throw.

I have several lensed or optic style lights and they seem to spread out and don't have the long range throw.

I have Inova's up to those models but haven't been compelled to pick one up. Unless the rechargeable T4 has better throw over the others.

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think they are great lights and recommend them, but at the same time, the brightness claims are often overstated. The T3/XO3/T4 are all around the same brightness: a little under 40 lumens. This is a "real world" number, and not the 80-100 lumens the manufacturer lists. Many manufacturers do this: eg. the Fenix L1P is listed at 46 lumens, but really its around 20-25. The Inova line does throw well- for an LED. I don't have any of the 2 cell Nuwai's, but my understanding is that they indeed are similar in brightness, if slightly less in throw. You can check http://www.flashlightreviews.com/index1.html for "relative" values as compared with other lights you might have.

As far as build quality, fit and finish, etc- the Inovas represent an unbeatable value- they are superb, and actually reasonably priced for the great step forward in quality as compared with Nuwai for example. A T3 can be had for $45-50 and has more reliable construction than some $100 lights.

The thing you need to remember is that LEDs are a growing technology. They are already impressive, but in ambient incandecent light (street lamps) they get washed out easily. A decently powerful incandecent flashlight will beat the current generation of LEDs in terms of throw and general beam penetration.

Last edited:

wtraymond

Enlightened
I also highly recommend the Inova XO3/T3/T4 - especially the T4 as it is rechargeable. I have several of each of these and find the beam very useful with excellent throw. But each has its place. I posted some beamshots a few months ago and confirmed that these will all throw about 250ft indeed. For the money they are a great bargain. The only significant problem is that the XO3/T3 are not compatible with li-ion rechargeables and CR123s are expensive and only last about three hours continuous.

The beamshots I posted were a comparison of the Inova XO3 and Pelican PM6 HAIII 3W from Battery Station. Although the Pelican is slightly more expensive, it is brighter and has better throw. It also handles two RCR123 rechargeable li-ion batteries nicely. I've outfitted my PM6 with a one cell extender and installed two 1100mah protected 17500 li-ions for over 3 hours of regulated light. I think you can buy the PM6 HA3 new for $85 now. But with cell extender ($20 from Surefire) and batteries ($10 each from AW) and a charger ($15 DSD from AW) you're up to $140. I'd probably recommend the $90 Inova T4 over the $140 PM6 setup.

It sounds like you use your lights a lot and I certainly would not recommend a lithium powered light that only uses primary (non-rechargeable) cells for everyday use. You need a rechargeable light or one that accepts rechargeable batteries. The XO3/T3 are great backup lights for the glovebox or household use. The Pelican M6 HA3 3W and Inova T4 are excellent EDCs with the best brightness/throw for their size and price. Additionally, all Pelican and Inova lights are backed by a solid warranty.

If money is no object, buy a custom flashlight from one of the excellent modders here on CPF. I won't mention names for fear of leaving someone out but most can be found in the Custom B/S/T Forum.

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys. Interesting comments. Fascinating pics of that X03, Download. extensions look cool too.

I never thought about the T4. I kind of remember someone saying they had issues with the charger? , but maybe they fixed that. It would be more economical than 123s. The Inova family of lights sound like an interesting one to investigate. I might get a couple of different ones (even if for no other reason than curiosity). Are the T3 and X03 the same light with just slightly different body styles?

Ikonomi

Enlightened
I find that the XO/T series lights are great for mid-range spotting. I have the XO3 and love the size of the beam. It's a nice, broad, even hotspot for illuminating things at medium distances. The spot is not tight enough for long distances, however, so looking up a tower might be better suited to a light with a large reflector, depending on how tall the tower is.

Build quality is top notch on all Inova lights (except the Radiant series at Target). They might even be too solid, as it's pretty much impossible to mod an XO/XO3/T series flashlight. I'd love to swap a U or T__H bin into my XO3.

Edit: Ha ha, just saw download's link. I thought the freeze-pop method didn't work on these... Hmm. I feel tingly.

Last edited:

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I only have the T4. I understand that it is supposed to be just a bit brighter than the T3 but that the optics/behavior/beam are essentially the same.

My reviews (part one and further down part 2) https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/94874

I was among the people having a touch of irregular trouble with the charger but in my case all it took was using a paper towel and some rubbing alcohol to clean up the inside of the end cap (where there was a massive blob of lubricant) and then everything started behaving just fine.

Last edited:

magic79

Enlightened
I have both a T3 and a T1. They seem to be of excellent quality and better retail packaging than any light I own, FWIW.

The T1 is a nice light, fairly small and fairly easy to carry. However, after acquiring a Fenix L1P, which is about the same brightness but significantly smaller, I don't see much use for it.

The T3, however, is a very bright light for an LED. I shoot in a weekly pistol league, and the last 2 months has been darkend or partially darkend, using a flashlight. I found the T3 and my Surefire E2D to be virtually identical from a qualitative observation. With both lights, I can easily discern the contents of someone's hands from 25 yards. The T3 has more spill, although it is of the curious "target ring" pattern due to the lens that Inova uses.

The T3 takes considerably more pressure to activate the momentary button than the E2D, which could be an issue for someone with strength issues such as arthritis.

One thing no one has mentioned is that the T3 (as well as most high-power lights I have) is just about useless for up-close things such as writing on a clipboard: it's just too bright up close.

I have not found a really good holster for the T3 yet...anyone have a suggestion?

Mark

Techsplorer

Newly Enlightened
I have the T3 and the led broke with SF batteries by just a short drop to the side of the bezel. The T3 may look and feel solid but mine definately was not. Also, the return looks like it will cost a third of the cost of the light with much shipping hassle.

Ikonomi

Enlightened
Techsplorer said:
I have the T3 and the led broke with SF batteries by just a short drop to the side of the bezel. The T3 may look and feel solid but mine definately was not. Also, the return looks like it will cost a third of the cost of the light with much shipping hassle.

It's very surprising to me that your light broke like that. I've dropped my XO3 loads of times at different angles and it only has a few dings on the bezel.

Bad luck...

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Radio. Everyone in MA knows Skippy, I think. I do not do the big commercial work he does. He's into everything. I do mostly watertower/firetower/ sites and also emergency comms for Red cross/amateur radio. Who knows, maybe we've met already. Hosstraders definitely. Missed it this year due to Katrina operations. Drop me a PM sometime.

Frank WQ1O
Cape&Islands ARES DEC
MA Red Cross Communications committee

Sorry for the off topic..

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, that's not too good Techsplorer. What kind of warranty does Inova have on their lights? Sounds like it's not like Surefire. Most have said that quality was the best thing about Inova's. Maybe you got a bad one.

Magic79...interesting on the switch....if you shoot IPSC or similar, you likely have a good feel for pressure/pull. How may pounds do you think it is compared to the Surefire?

magic79

Enlightened
Fieldops:

Interesting question. This is not terribly accurate, but I used a postage scale and got the following results for pressure to turn on the momentary switch:

E2D: 17 oz

T3: 36 oz

I should note that I swapped out the SF Z57 click switch for the original one on the E2D as you can't activate the switch with your palm (Rogers/Surefire technique) with the strike bezel switch that comes with the light.

Last edited:

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Magic79:

Nice work. Even if the numbers are inaccurate, the ratio should be the similar, assuming a good scale. It does show that the switch is roughly twice as hard to activate. It might be a problem with a person having physical disabilities. Inova probably never intended to market the light to people with limited strength or dexterity, but I love having new information. This is especially good through simple testing. Thanks.

I saw that the T5 is now suposedly being offered, It looks like a T4 using 123s. Unfortunately I saw some online retailers offering the light by pre-order (100s available) with an expected date of shipment. Then a few days after the date passed, the light was no longer being offered for sale. I sure hope those who pre-ordered got their lights and don't have to wait forever.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's amazing how we all come up with such different opinions on lights.

I got rid of all of my Inovas for being substandard. Maybe I got all bad ones.

The only led light that I know of that can truely throw is from McGizmo.

JML

Enlightened
Bianchi makes a sheath that fits the T3 or X03 perfectly. See my post.

Anyway, here's what I said:

The Bianchi Accumold 7311 Compact Light Holder fits! Molded ballistic nylon, and comes with a snap, or with a Velcro closure. This one is made for "SureFire 6P / Scorpion / Strion / TL-2." I got the velcro model, and it's virtually perfect, but benefits from one tweak. To avoid having the clickie activate (without having to lock it out) get a 1.25" wide and 1/4" thick nylon washer from the hardware store, and drop it down into the pouch. I drilled out the hole in the washer, using a drill-tree bit, just to be sure.

Runs about $20.

Last edited:

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to admit it is interesting to see all the opinions on this. You really do gain some insight.

I had thought about the holster issue...thanks JML

Based on what I hear, I think it likely I will get one of the Inovas (T3 or T4) to try. If I don't like it, it goes on the "I tried it" light shelf with the other 25 lights or so. Thankfully the "good light" shelf is more populated. I think CPF dramatically increases all of our light inventories, although the wallet weighs less.

JonSidneyB: you mean the McLuxIII-PD, or one of the Alephs....probably my next investigation project