Another Glow Powder Question

daBear

Enlightened
The previous thread was getting long so I started another to ask a specific quesiton. I have three M*g mods which are Tri-Lux and Quad-Lux lights. Some one uses stars and the other two use emitters. I want to coat the inside of the head below the lens and the heatsink with glow powder after I tape off the emitters or stars. I want to use Krylon Crystal clear coat, then sprinkle on the powder before it dries, then cover it again with clear coat.

How well is that going to turn out rather than the epoxy route which is not that practical for the amount of surface I am trying to cover??

Thanks,

daBear

greenLED

Flashaholic
My guess is you'll need to repeat the treatment a couple of times to get:

1. enough powder for a nice glow, and
2. a smooth layer of powder

I've never used powder like that (in a rather large surface), so YMMV.

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Epoxy is your best bet. Pick up some 30 minute clear epoxy. Mix everything up then using a heat gun or hair dryer heat up the epoxy after its where you want it and the heat will thin it out to almost like water so it's perfectly even. Sit it on a level surface and let it dry.

Mac

greenLED

Flashaholic
If you put some scotch tape as a barrier around the heatsink, you won't have to worry about the epoxy dripping off the surface.

daBear

Enlightened
Well we will see, I just stopped by Wally World and got some 30 minute DevCon Epoxy. My weekend project. I will post results, unless of course it really flops. Then I will log in under a new name and throw rocks at da Bear for being a dummy.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
daBear said:
Well we will see, I just stopped by Wally World and got some 30 minute DevCon Epoxy. My weekend project. I will post results, unless of course it really flops. Then I will log in under a new name and throw rocks at da Bear for being a dummy.

Any chance you can take pics of the whole process???

We love PICS! :naughty:

-PSM

greenLED

Flashaholic
I'm interested in seeing how the 30 minute epoxy works. Hopefully it's "runny" enough to smooth out. May have to work fast!

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
30 minute epoxy stays runny enough for me to work with for 10+ minutes. The dryer method works great to thin it out. My glow powder came today so I will be experimenting with it also. I have a couple if UX1N's that I'm working and a WXOT :) Also a 18650 powered Tri-Star with a 5mw greenie in the middle:) Keeping my fingers crossed the laser module shows up tomorrow.

Mac

Last edited:

greenLED

Flashaholic
Good to know that trick with the hair drier! :thanks:

While we're on the subject, here's a thread I refer people to over and over again. Darkzero's recipe for GID+epoxy.

And here's Skylighter's recent thread on GID Projects. He's trying to make that tread a repository for projects and GID-related knowledge, so feel free to post there once you're done.

:huh2: Mobile1, I think you're replying to the wrong thread. :)

daBear

Enlightened
Well it worked pretty good, especially for my first try. I mixed about 1/2 ounce of epoxy and added glow powded twice to get the consistency I wanted. I had an ounce and gestimate I used 1/4 or less. The tape around the edge worked well and I completely covered a Quad LuxIII with emitters on a PQS sink. It is still setting up, but I could not help but plug the LEDs back in and take it to a closet. Pretty darn bright.

I will take some shots and post them or put it on a web page of mine by tomorrow at the latest.

Thanks to you all for the tips. I would have screwed this up on my own.

I just put a few quick shots on the bottom of a webpage I made for a Katrina insurance caim. Take a look at the bottom of this page. I will clean it up on a new page tomorrow. http://home.jam.rr.com/dabear49/flashlight.html

Last edited:

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will the Glow powder get enough light under the reflectors to charge up enough to glow??

Mac

daBear

Enlightened
I will put it all together tomorrow and we will see, but this power I am using glows for 12 hours so it will get light from a lot of places. I will either trim the legs on the reflectors or take my Dremel and make room for them.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
daBear said:
I will put it all together tomorrow and we will see, but this power I am using glows for 12 hours so it will get light from a lot of places. I will either trim the legs on the reflectors or take my Dremel and make room for them.

Thanks for the pics!!

-PSM

daBear

Enlightened
cmacclel said:
Did you put it together yet???

Mac

Working on it. I just drilled 12 holes in the epoxy for the legs of the IMS20's to fit in. While I was at it I lowered the ledge in the D Mag head so the PQS sink will fit better and I can screw the lens bezel all the way down. It had previously been kept from fitting correctly because the reflectors stood up too tall, because the sink would not go down like it should. So I am fixing several issues at one time. Now that I put up a web page just for flashlight stuff I can chunk pics out there easier so I will post the results.

PS. How is my red switch comming along for the nFlex I am working on?

Alex

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Switch is done, and will be going out Monday. It would have went out yesterday but I was home sick.

Mac

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice Idea on the set screw :) I don't know what it is with the Maglights but everyone that plays with any of mine *ALWAYS* trys to play with the focus. When making the mini-hids I always make the threads on the head as tight as possible that once the light is focused it stays focused unless you really want to move the head.

Mac