Who's modded a Ziplight?

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember reading a post or two a while ago about some modded Ziplights. (Zippo lighter flashlight inserts) Unfortuneately the search no longer turns them up. Anybody have a link to one of the original threads, or some more info to share? I've got a couple on the way and I'm curious what type of batteries people have used and how much room there is to work with.

nulldev

Newly Enlightened
I modded two or three of them way back when. Just remove the reflector and bulb and replace with a Nichia. Pretty much pressure fit into place, I used a piece of heat shrink over one of the leads to prevent shorting. One lead to the copper "switch" and the other to a small copper or brass square - used as a battery contact. Solder another wire from the other side of the "switch" to another copper or brass square to make the other battery contact. I use 2 2032 coin cells stacked together, they will stretch the case a little but give a little more run time. 1632's will fit better but you might have to use foam to keep the contacts in place. There are at least two different styles of ZipLight innards that I have run into, mainly a different switch design and both modded fine, just trim out whatever gets in the way!

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yea, I did a few of them. I made a whire one that used 2x 2016's, and a RGB model with circuitry from a lighted pen. Craig has the RGB version and he even reviewed it on the museum. I can see if I can dig up some pics from those mods.

Jeff

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
SORRY, it has been so hectec around here I TOTALLY forgot. Just use a sharp knife and pry it open, going around the outside.

Jeff

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nevermind, my laptop IE said I was offline and didnt show the new page, Christmas wierdness.

Jeff

Last edited:

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yea, I did a few of them. I made a whire one that used 2x 2016's, and a RGB model with circuitry from a lighted pen. Craig has the RGB version and he even reviewed it on the museum. I can see if I can dig up some pics from those mods.

Jeff