I will never look at glocks the same EVER again.....

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found this link on my airsoft forum.
http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=4&t=13658
Since many of us here probably participate on AR15 (I dont) you might know this already, but I just had to share. Its just amazing. I always thought the glock was a simple, ugly gun that only looked slightly appealing when locked back, but it appears to be more durable than any flashlight Ive seen, or any gun Ive seen, or heard of. The entire post by that guy is very long, but worth reading. Lots of pics and videos. Shooting it with another gun wont even cause much damage.

Must be nice to live in a state where you can tie a gun to your truck bumper and drag it around....

Last edited:

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some of us drink the Glock Kool-Aid, and some won't. Seriously, I think they are a neat piece of engineering and a fresh approach to design, and it works for me.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not quite sure what to think of that. The .22 test is no big deal, and I'd hope that many good, simple autos wouldn't do too bad with the dirt tests. The salt and water are probably the ones where the Glock really shines, since it's mostly plastic or coated metal parts.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Glock 45s are kind of a mixed bag... Many complain that the 21 and 30s (alt stacks or 'double stacks') are too large in the grip area while many complain that the 36's grip is too blocky. I tend to somewhat agree with both though I can shoot them all relatively well. The 36 should be easier to carry IWB though I've never carried any Glock other than the 23.

I quite like the Kahr line of pistols and carried a P9 Covert for quite some time. I think ANY sized Kahr in 45 would be pretty sweet but I haven't had a chance to shoot or even handle the relatively new P45 yet. I've sort of moved away from buying any new guns for the last couple years and I'm totally happy with with my CZ PCR and I have almost complete faith in 9mm Gold Dots though I'd prefer a 45 if it was small, comfortable to shoot and carry and had a decent trigger.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own 11 Glocks. Plenty of other flavors too, like 1911s, CZs, HPs, wheelguns, Kahrs, Sigs, Kel-tecs, etc. But Glocks are what got me addicted, and are still #1 with me.

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast
I`m a big fan of the Glocks, especially the Glock 21 (45 ACP). You pull the trigger, and a Glock will always go "BANG".

I have *several* other pistols, including ones with all of the "bells and whistles" that I used to shoot in competition. But for self defense, you couldn`t ask for a more reliable and trustworthy weapon than a Glock.

:thumbsup:

gregw

Flashlight Enthusiast
The few times I tried a Glock, regardless of whether they were 9mm, 40 cal, etc... I could never shoot them well. For me, it always felt top heavy, due to the very light weight frame, with the balance perceptably changing as the magazine empties after each round.

The gun that I shoot really well is my 9mm Sig Sauer P226, which I've owned for a very long time, and have put over 2500 rounds through it. The P226 has been 100% reliable through all those rounds, and has only minimal wear. I also have a Walther P-88 (9mm), and a Walther TPH (22 cal in Nickel), and both of these are beautifully finished versus the "plastic" look of the Glock..

Unfortunately, I haven't had the opportunity to shoot my guns since I've moved to Hong Kong, and they are in storage in a friend's gun safe in the US.. :ohgeez:

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Too bad 95 years ago when the army conducted the use-and-abuse test to the 1911 there wasn't a crew on hand to capture the ordeal.

I have respect for Glocks, but they are just Civics of pistols, made to be an appliance. I'm a thrid generation 1911 shooter and don't plan on throwing mine out of an airplane any time soon....

BTW the airplane drop got me looking then I was dissappointed to find they dropped the gun onto a dirt field....

CLHC

Flashaholic
Like the title of this thread states: "I will never look at Glocks. . .again. . ."

"That's my story and I'm sticking to it!"

HardeeHaarHarr—Enjoy!

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
.270 Win, what do you think 1911's were for the first 75 years? Probably half a century from now they'll be making Glock copies at high-end gun makers.

jhereg

Enlightened
Glocks have a lot of good points. For a carry gun they are hard to beat. They are reliable (unless you limp wrist them), don't care if they are dirty, clean, wet from oil, or dry. In short they just run. They also don't have a lot of controls to worry about. It doesn't get any easier than draw & shoot.

Their bad points are few, but they do exist. They are not the most accurate guns in the world, but they are accurate enough & far more accurate than the average shooter. They don't have the best ergonomics, and don't fit some people's hands. The grip angle is wrong if you are used to the Browning Hi-Power grip angle.

On the other hand my carry gun is a Glock 29. It works and I trust it completely. Trust is important in a gun you might have to bet your life on.

Lightoleum

Newly Enlightened
Before I bought my 17, I read a then-current torture test (this is around a decade ago), where a 17 was frozen in a bucket of ice, run over by a truck (in the mud), and subjected to a variety of indignities wholly unlike anything with which I'd _expect_ to have to concern myself. Bought the book, bought the t-shirt, bought the 17, figuring that if _they_ couldn't fsck it up, neither could I.

But it took some getting used to, and still isn't my favorite. The stock trigger feels exactly like a Mattel I had as a kid, but it works fine. I'm OK with the grip angle, but the slick plastic was annoying until I put a rubber sleeve on it. The balance shift as the mag empties took a long time to accomodate; there's a big difference between 1 & 17+1, and it took a LOT of practice before I stopped noticing, but after a few thousand rounds it got to be point&click. The blunt simplicity of the thing makes it a near-perfect tool.

I think my .45 Sig-Sauer is more fun to shoot, and took less work to learn, but the Glock is what I keep by the bed.

AJ_Dual

Enlightened
I own two, a Glock 21 (full-size .45 ACP) and a Glock 26 (Compact 9mm), I guess that makes me somewhat qualified to comment.

I view the long-running Glock "controversy" amongst the various gun forums with some ammusment. It is highly polarized, with people who insist Glock's are sham, cheaply built, and blow-up ("KB" Ka-Boom) at unopportune times at a rate higher than other brands, while others insist they are the best, most indestructable firearms on the planet, and made of Kryptonite. :)

The truth as always, is somewhere in between. Glock is a durable quality handgun, that has a balance of features that has it's pros and cons, just like many other quality durable guns on the market have pros and cons.

As a forerunner in the firearms market, and it's popularity with law enforcment, Glock is the subject of scrutiny and attention well beyond what is warranted by it's actual merits or deficits. It's something akin to the "Wal-Mart" or "Microsoft effect". Beyond that, Glock Inc.'s somewhat haughty trademark prhase, "Glock Perfection", is probably viewed as a challenge by some in the firearms community to prove it wrong.

Glock wasn't the first to put a polymer grip-frame on a pistol (HK was with the VP70) but they were the first to put one into full-scale and popular production. Glocks do have a certain design simplicity and parts economy that enhances their reliability, and makes for easy service. (The "Glock Armorer's Tool" is a simple stick, with two sizes of pin punches on the ends, that's it.) The Tennifer finish (Nitrocarburization) is one of the best surface hardening and anti-corrosion treatments for steel possible, making Glocks very weather and corrosion resistant.

In the mechanical sense, Glock's are very, very, "safe" they are extremely drop-proof, and nothing other than a full pull of the "Safe Action Trigger" with it's tiny sub-trigger within, will discharge the pistol. The lack of any other external safties makes for very simple operation, which might be a plus in a stressful situation. OTOH, the lack of any other external safety levers can be viewed as a minus too. That, and the fact that the trigger has to be pulled as part of the take-down process for cleaning, make the Glock a very unforgiving pistol to the inexperianced, or the careless. (That begs the question, should gun designers cater to the careless? But I digress..)

Would or do I trust my life to my Glocks? Absolutely. Do I have other handguns I would as well? Absolutely. In the most stringent sense of the word, are Glocks "perfect"? No. Are those other guns? No.

Cmoore

Enlightened
A few years ago, I sold all (about 15) of my pistols except one, a Glock 19.

I tell folks I kept the ugliest pistol. Despite the past years and some reflection on my decision, if I could get a do-over, I still wouldn't change my decision to keep only the Glock 19.

Last edited:

Makarov

Enlightened
I own a G34(4th gen). Bought it after shooting a S&W SIGMA 9mm for approx 2 yrs.
Added new sights, griptape, a Jenta plug and started shooting. At first I was a little disappointed, because the angle of the grip was different, but when I got used to it it sits well in my hand.
Later I added a titanium plunger(that I won in a competition) and a Houge grip.

I got other guns as well, including a 1911, and if I'm going to get a IPSC racegun it's going to be a 1911 of some sorts, but I'll never get rid of my Glock, I really like this gun, and it just won't stop working. Ever.

I'm currently spending a lot of money on flashlights instead of guns, but when my budget allows it I'm in for a 17 or 19, to use in IPSC Production.

...I also want a BT96, HK P7M8, HK416(yeah yeah I know no civillian sale, but I still want one) a kalashnikov(to complete my russian thingy) a 38. snub and some other small stuff... :broke:

greenLED

Flashaholic
Isn't it unsafe (and thus irresponsible) to shoot a "dirty" gun? Maybe my gun-totin' relatives are just anal about cleaning their guns :thinking: The salt!!! :green:

Anyway, if I ever get a gun, it'd be a Glock; I had already decided that a long time ago.