How to Survive prison

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
After reading that guys thread about having a warrant for his arrest, I got to thinking. What is the best plan to survive prison? I mean start to finish, lets say its just an over night thing or several years.

Is what is in the prison movies true?

Should you lie low or knock out the biggest/tallest person there?

Just wondering.....

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast
According to Lisa Ling, you need to hangout with and get protection from your own race. Learn where all the borders are. Don't disrespect anyone and don't let anyone disrespect you. I'm sure that was of no help, but there was a special about prison life on cable a little while ago and I know she was the host.

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the link Keith. :)

Wow, scary how people can steal your identity like that.

As for surviving Prison, I think you also have to take into account where you are going. If you're going to a max security prison, I'm sure it's different than the country club jails that the likes of Martha Stewart goes to.

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
Prison and jail are two very different things..
A jail sentence requires the individual to be sentenced by the judge for a period of 2 years less one day.
Prison comes after 2 years.
A judge who sentences a guy to "two years less a day" is either very mad at the guy or concerned about his fate.
Once a sentence exceeds 2 years it is considered "Federal", and prison follows, the benifits this has to the convict is that in the federal system parole is achievable after serving only 1/3 of the sentence, where in jail they serve 2/3's. That one day can really make a difference.
In Jail, it's just about daily survival, surrounded by people who were bad enough to go to jail but not so bad to get a prison sentence.
In prison you wake daily to a bunch of guys who will be there for the rest of their lives, and live by very different rules.
I was a pay clerk in a super maximum security prison for about a year..

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
I hear there is enough men wiling to have sex, that you dont have to worry about being raped.
My buddy went to prison for 2.5 years, when he got out he was the same. I never asked him about the rape thing. He said every once in a while the gaurds would put on leather gloves and give a beating to hgim for no reason.

Prison aint for me, you couldnt bring any lights with you!!

-PSM

AJ_Dual

Enlightened
Keep in mind that Pydpiper is talking about Canadian prision a much different experiance than the average American prision.

I'm sure Canada has a range of institutions, from "supermax" to "country club", just as the US does, but it's my understanding that the Canadian penal system on average, trends twoards the lower-security, more amenities end of the spectrum where possible, than the American system does.

I'm not criticizing, a different country, (a somewhat) different culture, and that creates different needs. Who knows? A "soft" prision system that gives convicts "more to lose" and does less to diminish their humanity might be benificial. It's at least possible to argue the point.

IMO, the American penal system is very messed up. It tries to punish, rehabilitate, and segregate (warehouse away from society) criminals all at once. IMO, these are mutualy exclusive goals. Personaly, I'd like to see a two-tierd system, one for rehabilitation of non-violent, non sexual offenders, and a permanant segregation system for the violent and sexual offenders.

Incarcerating some college kid who gets busted at a Greatful Dead concert on a multi-year sentence for drug posession of LSD because they count the paper as part of the weight of the drug under mandatory sentencing guidlines, who has never assulted anyone, IMO just re-victimizes society at large with the added tax burden. And the overcrowding pressure such cases place forces the early release of violent and sexual offenders who then are free to re-offend, victimizing the public at large further.

What I'd like to see in America is a two-stage penal system, a lower level that emphasizes monitoring, and restitution (if applicable) for the non-violent offenders, and uses the savings in money and resources twoard permanant incarceration (i.e. "Coventry") for the murderers, rapists, molesters, armed robbers, and certain egregious non-violent multiple offenders, etc.

I believe that "rehabilitation" is possible for some, but it should be reserved for those who are not a physical threat to the safety of others. For those who are such a danger, the first priority the state has should be the protection of everyone else.

Last edited:

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
In Canada each federal convict is sent to a single prison, Ideally they should be there less than three months before being shipped to their appropriate new home. They are on 23 hour a day lockdown, 1 hour a day to walk outside.
Here they seperate child molesters from bank robbers, 23 hour lockdown keeps the guys whos crime involved a woman or child from being killed on the spot.
From there they are shipped to thier awaiting facility, depending on their current charge as well as their history. What awaits them is either a condo syle building with no fences to a maximum security building with all the scary affects.
The building I worked in is nicknamed, "the deadliest square mile in Canada"
The original prison here now just houses the mentally disturbed and sex offenders, in an attempt to keep them from the general population, and the fate that awaites them.
What you see on television is nothing like what actually takes place.. Modern science and technology has tamed the prison system, it wasn't always like that.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, Ive heard those before. Lay low, find a group, dont drop the soap. One person said if you think you can, knock out the biggest guy there to earn the respect of the rest. Sure you may get additional time or go to the hole or something, but when you got out you were likely the top dog. THe one Id considered was to make jump at a guard or something to get put in isolation. I wouldnt want to hurt or target anyone or the guards, but was thinking being a loaner, isolation maybe the safest place.

Interesting ebook. I hope I never have to go myself, or anyone else. I also agree it should be reserved for the really bad guys, not those who trip out watching the telle tubbies or steal a loaf of bread.

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
cobb said:
... THe one Id considered was to make jump at a guard or something to get put in isolation. I wouldnt want to hurt or target anyone or the guards, but was thinking being a loaner, isolation maybe the safest place.

I'd think twice. The guards have a lot of power and they will all stick up for each other.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I hate to end up getting bad service for the rest of my stay or a batton shoved into a certain part of my body by accident.

As a side note my brother had a former girl friend who use to set fires in garbage cans. She ended up arrested, but the general population use to shout at her and threaten her for some reason so they put her in a private room like, solitary confinement. Then they reduced her sentence to just staying on the weekends for 2 years or something to that effect. I dont know all the details.

Status
Not open for further replies.